V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok .... I have an '03 Dyna Wide that I want to, need to make louder ! Its embarassing to be out with your buddies and you're all sitting at a light and you cant hear your own bike running ! So ..... what I want to do is put a set of V&H Straightshots on it. My question is this.... I'm looking for a sound thats not TOO obnoxious but is still louder than stock.
I'm hoping to get a great sounding low to mid toned rumble.

Any one got any ideas how this set up will sound ?

Also, looking to throw a Kuryakyn Hypercharger on it. Will I have to rejet ?

Thanks !

Joe

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just put the V&H Straight shots on my 03 dwg and they sound great. Not obnoxiuosly loud, but loud enough to scare the crap out of someone who just pulled out in front of you. And yes you will need to rejet. I called V&H and asked them. I am going this weekend to pick up the kit and a new aircleaner. I have looked at the hypercharger, but not sure how well it works.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jaxon..... someone mentioned a pic of your bike but i couldnt find it. my brother has a 99 dwg with the hypercharger on it. I like the way it looks he said he had to rejet as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I ran a set of V&H classics on my Dyna with the competition baffle, the best sounding pipe I ever had. A deep mellow tone till you opened the throttle and then POW it sounded like a pro stock.

·
Big Ugly Fat F'n Yankee
862 Posts
Hurry up and buy some pipes JDC916! I want them to hear BOTH of us when we ride. Ha!

·
Registered
442 Posts
you can go to the vance & hines web site and click on each set of pipes and it will let you hear what the pipes sound like.

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
I've got Longshots on my Road King and love them. They sound awesome. I have friend with a Hypercharger on a Dyna Superglide and he said that it ran better before he installed it. I told him he needed to rejet the carb. My other bud has Hypercharger and a stage 1 on his Wideglide and he said it made a night/day difference.

·
Registered
171 Posts
You'll be better off in the long run with something like a Ness Big Sucker and Bob Woods Air Filter (#325). I haven't heard much good about Hyperchargers......just my opinion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 03 softail.... The stock exhaust made me feel like I was riding a honda... I knew that wasn't going to work... I researchd many exhaust systems and found that the vance and hines "big shots" was what would work the best for me. I removed the baffles when I installed them. After that I took it to HD to have the stage one installed.. Due to the fact i have the injected model, i was pretty much stuck with having them reprogram the fuel mixture... I love the sound... They are pretty loud just siting in one spot, but seem to be just right on the road...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks lineman met someone today on the road that just took the baffles out of the stock pipes..... no rejet necessary and sounded pretty awesome !

·
Registered
272 Posts
Had staightshots on my 2002 fatboy, sounded good. Just changed to Staggered Bigshots, sound better, more power.

·
Registered
252 Posts
jwchastain said:
Hurry up and buy some pipes JDC916! I want them to hear BOTH of us when we ride. Ha!
I just can not wait to hear the two of you together....

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok here's the plan ! I bought a set of straight shots and the vortex tips having the 1k checkup done at the same time the dealer installs the pipes and does the stage one and the high flow air ! cant wait to hear her scream now !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts