V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of getting a new FLHX, and I have a question for you guys about exhaust. On my last bike, an FLHRS, I ended up putting on SE Pro 2-1 for a clean look and added performance. I was real happy with those pipes and would buy them again for my new motorcycle, but unfortunately, it appears that H-D has stopped manufacturing them. After a little research I have come up with Vance & Hines Pro 2-into-1 as a possible choice.

Does anyone here have these pipes? If so, what can you tell me about them in terms of performance, styling, and sound. I must admit I am a little concerned that V&H might be too loud. I do a lot of touring so keeping noise levels within a reasonable range is important for long haul comfort.

Thanks,
MM

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Im liking mine

Well your in luck cuz i do believe the pro2 was made by V/H for the mo-co. Go to a dirt bike shop and get a big sheet of fiberglass packing, its cheap.When the pipe starts getting too loud for you just pull the baffle and repack.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
MountainMan said:
I am in the process of getting a new FLHX, and I have a question for you guys about exhaust. On my last bike, an FLHRS, I ended up putting on SE Pro 2-1 for a clean look and added performance. I was real happy with those pipes and would buy them again for my new motorcycle, but unfortunately, it appears that H-D has stopped manufacturing them. After a little research I have come up with Vance & Hines Pro 2-into-1 as a possible choice.

Does anyone here have these pipes? If so, what can you tell me about them in terms of performance, styling, and sound. I must admit I am a little concerned that V&H might be too loud. I do a lot of touring so keeping noise levels within a reasonable range is important for long haul comfort.

Thanks,
MM
I put a set of Pro Pipes on my bike last spring. Was running the V&H Big Shots and liked the sound just not the loudness. So far I'm pretty happy with the Pro Pipe. It's a bunch quieter than the BS's and it gave me better performance. I bought a used set off Ebay and saved some $$.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Take a look at the V-H big radius 2-1. I just put it on my 07DWG. Great power and a deep tone to it, not obnouxis. It's also a huge peice of chrome. I'll post up some pics if it stops raining here.

·
Ride Ride Ride!!!
10 Posts
I just installed a V&H Pro 2-n-2-1 on my 05 RKC. It sounds ok but Im used to having the loudest bike on the block. I do have a replacement baffle that has much less restriction than the factory baffle but I dont know how to get the end cap off of the pipe so i can pull out the baffle. Please advise on how to get the baffle out.

Thank you & best regards.
Dave

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Dave, there 2 screws that hold the end cap on. Remove those and then take a straight edge that won't scratch the chrome and place it in the groove at the end cap...and tap it out. I used the tip of a large standard screwdriver...but be very careful if you do. Easy does it.

Mountains Man's thread was started 16 months ago...so I guess if he has chosen a pipe by now....reckon? Having said that, I love my Propipe and it has been on my bike for 13 years and still looks new. Changed out original LONG baffle with the newly engineered shorter one. Still sounds great and the bike runs as strong as this old man needs. I don't think there is any downside to the Propipe.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
I run a Pro-Pipe on my 2007 Road Glide. LOVE IT!
When I need to be quiet, I can putt through a quiet neighborhood or past a cop. Open it up and its plenty loud enough. Performance is excellent, particularly after I had a custom map made on a Dyno for my PCIII.

I believe you can order them with two different baffles.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
I just installed a V&H Pro 2-n-2-1 on my 05 RKC. It sounds ok but Im used to having the loudest bike on the block. I do have a replacement baffle that has much less restriction than the factory baffle but I dont know how to get the end cap off of the pipe so i can pull out the baffle. Please advise on how to get the baffle out.

Thank you & best regards.
Dave

On my PP, if you stand behind the bike the screws are on the bottom at 6 o'clock and on the left at 9 o'clock.

I've experimented with hose clamps to cover the holes in the baffle. Didn't really do much either way for the sound. I used fiberglass packing from the local dirt bike shop. That made it a tad quieter, but only lasted about a month before it needed to be re-wrapped again. It takes me about 5 minutes to remove the baffle, change the wrap, and reinstall the baffle.
One tip: Because you're removing the screws multiple times, they get a bit loose in the threads. Make sure to use some blue Locktite on them or you'll end up spitting the whole baffle out at 70 mph. lol

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
My builder swears by the the pro-pipe. He thinks they beat the fat cat hands down for torque across the power band and are even with the fat cat for HP on top. just my .02

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
The pro pipe with the competition baffle makes a nice sound.
The pro pipe with the competition baffle and the Quiet Riot device installed makes a nice sound and more friggen mid to top end power than any other 2 into 1 except the RBR or the JBV guppy 2 into 1s.
The only thing with those pipes is that they are full on race units and will draw too much attention when you don't want attention.
Plus, you will get a nice headache on long rides and no one will want to ride on your right side or behind you.

Actually, you can cut out the butt plug on the street baffle, then install the Quiet Riot and have the best of both also.
Nice rumble when your cruising and a earth shaking roar when you get on it.:coffee:

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
My builder swears by the the pro-pipe. He thinks they beat the fat cat hands down for torque across the power band and are even with the fat cat for HP on top. just my .02
Firehog,
check out the dyno section for a few recent real world accurate,
measured pipe comparisons......

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
VH is coming out with a new propipe soon. The muffler body is stepped.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Effects of removing packing...

Does removing the fiberglass packing have any other effect on the air/fuel/exhaust system other that increasing the sound?

·
Registered
938 Posts

Thanks,
MM

I have had the Propipe BP on for 1 yr.
As far as performance,the guy that built my engine said to go with a Propipe,Bassani Road Rage or Thunder Header.
I'm sure there is a difference in performance with all pipes.Which is the best,I dont know.
The PP was the least exspensive and included the heat sheilds.

If you are concerend about noise,I would not buy this pipe.It is loud IMO.Really have to crank the radio to hear it at freeway speeds.
At times I think about reinstalling my Ovals or the SE mufflers I have.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Does removing the fiberglass packing have any other effect on the air/fuel/exhaust system other that increasing the sound?
I removed the cheesy factory packing and ran with no packing for a bit and had to richen up the mix. Loaded up the baffle with fiberglass cloth and had to lean her back out. Overall my mixture is leaner with the fiberglass cloth than with the factory packing. Sounds better and pulls harder with the fiberglass cloth over the stock packing and/or no packing at all.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I run these pipes on my 93 FXRS

I run these pipes on my 93 FXRS and love them! they are not overly loud when cruising and have a great sound when riding in town
i have had this bike dyno'd with lots of other pipes and these were the best performance wise

1 - 16 of 16 Posts