V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering, as I consider the purchase of a set of V&H Shortshot Staggered pipes, if I actually need the dyno-jet kit or will a new needle in my stock jet do the trick. V&H wants their consumers to buy their jet kit with each set of pipes. I have a 2005 XL 883

·
Premium Member
3,127 Posts
geoffreyt said:
I was wondering, as I consider the purchase of a set of V&H Shortshot Staggered pipes, if I actually need the dyno-jet kit or will a new needle in my stock jet do the trick. V&H wants their consumers to buy their jet kit with each set of pipes. I have a 2005 XL 883
If you have the stock air filter you likely won't need to change anything in
your carb.

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not quite organized myself yet. I want to put on a new air cleaner also. It is the key to making the other parts function better. No air, no go. I will have to address the jetting issue.

·
Banned
4,121 Posts
IMHO, the Thunderjet/Thunderslide kits are just too rich for a stock engine with only intake/exhaust mods. Everyone I know who went that route had their gas mileage greatly reduced. Several also have plug fouling problems.

All I did on my Dyna was go up 1 jet size. I average 45 mpg, range from 40 to 52 depending on conditions and load. My needle was already on the rich side from the factory (they recalled the 2002 Dynas for this, I didn't let them do it...). Lots of guys are very happy with just replacing the stock needle for the 1988 Sportster needle.

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you say "one jet size" are you saying only the needle? Can the needle be replaced without removing the carb. I see the needle is right under the cap and a spring assembly on the top of the carb.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts