V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Im from New Zealand and was wondering if any of you guys have tried a set of Short Shots on your FXR. Just keen to know how they performed and if they were a good pipe to purchase.

·
90 FXRS LOWRIDER
553 Posts
i believe if you do a search or go to the exhaust forum, you will find plenty of what you want to hear....or not hear. myself, i would love to have some of these. but i am worried bout my wifes eardrums, ya know. those have a short exit.

·
Registered
54 Posts
i'm running short shots on my fxr and they sound pretty good and plenty loud enough too . performance wise they work ok but could do with the carb set up for best results . if i get time i'll shoot a quick film of them on the bike and running . not sure how to upload or the sound quality i'll get through a digital camera though .

·
Registered
755 Posts
Jadeo said:
Hey guys, Im from New Zealand and was wondering if any of you guys have tried a set of Short Shots on your FXR. Just keen to know how they performed and if they were a good pipe to purchase.
Chrome quality = very good
Loudness = very loud
Looks = well that is a matter of your taste right?
Performance = not a good performer, but better than stock of course.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am in oz and running on my 1992 FXRS.
Look great and not as loud as my lowrider running a supertrapp 2 into 1.
Had a lot of nay Sayers but performance is ok.
Would go to 2 into 1 if chasing HPower but I am happy with mine at moment.
Good quality finish on mine and well priced.

·
Super Moderator
21,606 Posts
Lets set this straight. From the mouth of a man who had a set on an FXR.

The look....That's all in the eye of the beholder. IMHO, not all that.

The chrome is fine, as is the mounting.

The sound is wretched! All crackle and no mid or deep tone.

Performance wise they just suck. They are too short and too restrictive. And they do not preform anywhere near as well as a stock H pipe and a good set of cans.

But they are cheap enough, and they are available. Sort of like crack whores. It looks like a good idea at the time. But a few weeks later you have regrets.

·
In disguise
2,913 Posts
What Therm said.

I've never had them but I knew someone who had them on his EVO FXR. Ear splitting loud, and not in a good way.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Well said.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Crackle and Pop

The short shots were on mine when I got it with a Mikuni 42 and forward controls (see pic at bottom of signature).

I have had no issues with Crackling, runs smooth and is not overly noisy but does seem to have baffles in it (not just a straight pipe). Seems to run cooler than the lowrider 103 does.

Looks well that's always in the eye of the beholder. I personally don't mind the shorter look although its the only bike I am currently not running a 2 into 1 on. Grew up with em 4 into 1's, 2 into 1's just like that look.

Performance wise I have nothing to compare to as this is my first FXR (and evo for that matter). It is obviously not as quick (or noisy) as my Lowrider but then that's getting 98Hp/105Ft/Lbs on the Dyno. The FXR Cruises well at 120-130 (thats Klm's over here) and no popping on decelleration at all. I reckon this pulls as good as my XL1200s although I cant compare at the moment as I have fried the negative battery terminal on the sporty.

Remember I have only owned the FXR for a couple of months and as its winter here have only put a couple of thousand K's up on her.

Would I buy them if they were not already on the bike, probably not but I would either go back to a more stock looking style with crossover pipe etc or yep a 2 into 1, maybe a Kerker who knows.

P.S I have a couple of mates with Evo's (one an FXR) and they bag these pipes out as well :dunno:

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Well they weren't v+h and not on a Harley. They were on a '58 BMW R50 in '70. Stock pipes were 100 bucks each which was a shitttpot full of money back then.

Loud was not the word maybe ear splitting would do. The power wasn't there anymore and it wasn't long before I bought longer megaphone mufflers.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'm young and dumb and love how loud they are. Looks are alright if that's what your into. Chrome is nice and mounting them is a breeze.

Performance is a joke. Only after the cam in my 80" did I really notice the flat spot in acceleration. Quite literally blowing power right out the pipes.

Saving up for a nice Royal-T 2-1 now. Short shots are going on the shelf. If your not chasing numbers, want to be heard and like the looks, then who gives a damn about what people think. But numbers don't lie. Short shots don't perform.

·
Registered
921 Posts
What Therm said x2.

I had those Short Sh1te abortions on my FXLR when I bought it and ditched them ASAP in favor of a Bassani Road Rage which I like. It's mounting design is good and it tucks in nicely.

The stock crossover makes better power with gutted mufflers or slip-ons. Neither the Road Rage or the Thunderheader sound "like a Harley". I have both and psychotically hate the stock mongtastic pipe cracking Thunderheader exhaust mount for which I made a very solid replacement. The Road Rage works nicely with no fiddling.

If you just want to be stoopidly loud and lose power you could buy a cheap set of "goose" style drag pipes for less money. I tried a set in the 1980s and reinstalled the stock crossover with gutted (use a rod and a hydraulic press to force out the "Welch plug"-looking center baffle) stock mufflers.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
What Therm said x2.

I had those Short Sh1te abortions on my FXLR when I bought it and ditched them ASAP in favor of a Bassani Road Rage which I like. It's mounting design is good and it tucks in nicely.

The stock crossover makes better power with gutted mufflers or slip-ons. Neither the Road Rage or the Thunderheader sound "like a Harley". I have both and psychotically hate the stock mongtastic pipe cracking Thunderheader exhaust mount for which I made a very solid replacement. The Road Rage works nicely with no fiddling.

If you just want to be stoopidly loud and lose power you could buy a cheap set of "goose" style drag pipes for less money. I tried a set in the 1980s and reinstalled the stock crossover with gutted (use a rod and a hydraulic press to force out the "Welch plug"-looking center baffle) stock mufflers.
Any idea how the short exhaust compares, performance and sound, to one of the exhausts with the long megaphone?

http://www.bassanipipes.com/blacklongroadrage2into1systemwheatshield-13121j-2-1-1-1-1-1-2.aspx

I'm guessing I'd have to fab a new mount for it.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Ran the short shots on my 98" Dyna - the bigger the motor, the more they suck. They were a little better if you replaced the V&H baffles w/a Big City Thunder baffle, deeper sound and a little improvement in lower end. The pipes are too short to scavenge the exhaust from the motor. A set of 2:2 Bassani Pro-Streets will sound way better and make more power than the short shots - but still a drag pipe design. They are a stepped pipe which helps with performance. Currently running a Bassani 2:1 Road rage II B1 on my 110" softail - makes real good HP & TQ!!! kicks in at low-mid RPM and keeps pulling. It's the most powerful pipe I've run to date. And I've had Cobra, Hooker, V&H, and even Rinehart (X-backs) pipes on my bikes. there's no free lunch when it comes to pipe selection.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Currently exchanging emails with Danmoto about their 2-1. So cheap even I can afford it! I'm going to pull the trigger for sure.

·
Registered
171 Posts
This good information guys. I have the stock 2:1 with Slipons "allegedly" (is what the seller tells me but im not sure.)

Have been considering the Shortshots and I actually like the crackle some HD's have alot. Just dont want the high pitch only part. May continue my search

1 - 20 of 21 Posts