V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put quiet baffles in my new V/H Bigshot Longs... but they seem a little too muffled compared to the stock baffles. Does anybody have these in their setup and have they gotten louder over time? I'm thinking as the plastic and some of the fiberglass wrap burn off, they'll hit that deep low tone I'm looking for. Any thoughts?

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
I think they are plenty loud, especially when I get on the throttle. The quiet baffles only drop the volume by 6-9 decebles. I set off car alarms all the time with mine just cruising. They definitly give the bike a different sound. Ride around with them for a little while, they might grow on you. I personally love mine.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I installed the quiet baffles about 5K ago. Big shot staggered with the power chamber. I read about them here on this thread and got them online from Cycle Spot. Yes they get louder over time, I think the fiberglass is gone now. They are fine on sound, a little quiter until I get in it and then seems like plenty loud. The original baffles were just a little too loud. Don't know about the power it's just a guess. Feels good, but I'm looking for torque.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've had the Vance Hines Staggered Big Shots with the quite baffles for a while, now. I had the dealer install them when I had the stage one air cleaner and dyno tune done. So can't comment on the install. I did think they were too loud even with the quite baffles at first, but they have kind of grown on me.

Now with more extensive engine work, they seemed to have a more sharp sound (probably high compression pistons doing that......?), I really have come to like the sound a lot. Mine do set off the car alarms and stuff, too, but haven't got any complaints from the neighbors............yet>

Regards,

John:chopper:

·
Not-so-Fatboy
1,115 Posts
I heard the BSS with the "factory" V&H baffles in them and they sounded really raspy. When I put mine on my Fatboy, I put the "quiet" baffles in it from the get go. It seemed to make it a lower rumble vice the raspiness of the straight baffles. They do sound good. Not too terrible when you are cruising unless you rap down on it. I dont know how they affect the Long Shots, but I have a feeling you won't be disappointed if you go for them.

Plus, its just an allen head bolt to take off if you decide you don't like them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Any more input on the quiet baffle for the power chamber V&H or the Python staggered? I'm ready to buy for my new 07 FXDL and like the look but really fear they may be too loud.Could any one suggest another quality exhaust set up. Really hope the quiet baffle will do the job.(Louder than stock, deeper tone,and good looks.) Need your ideas. Thanks, yboy11

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
i put the BSS with the quiet baffles on my 06 DL and i think they sound like a harley should. i too was concerned about too much noise and that's why i opted for the quiet baffles. definitely louder than stock but not obnoxious. deep, throaty, and only roars when you twist hard.

·
semi-retired
1,844 Posts
ok

yboy11 said:
Any more input on the quiet baffle for the power chamber V&H or the Python staggered? I'm ready to buy for my new 07 FXDL and like the look but really fear they may be too loud.Could any one suggest another quality exhaust set up. Really hope the quiet baffle will do the job.(Louder than stock, deeper tone,and good looks.) Need your ideas. Thanks, yboy11
you will have more bottom end w/the quiet baffles..i don't see how they would have a deeper tone without the packing. i think you should use some kind of deadening/packing,either f glass or "0" steel wool. reminds me of the diiferent muscle car mfflers back in the day.the glass packs(cherry bombs)were nice and deep.the standard steel wool type(thrush) were a little louder and raspier. if you like a different sound,more midrange,go with the khromewerks(hp+) drag pipe baffles,oft overlooked,later,rob.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Rob,Do you mean the khromewerks (hp+) baffle will fit the V&H BSS? If so this will add to mix in a positive way. Thanks

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just picked up my Low Rider from having V&H StraightShots with the Quiet Baffles.

They sound great to me nice deep rumble and the sound really opens up at throttle.

BTW when the quiet baffles arrived at the shop the box label had a Big City Thunder prt number.

Go figure.

Sammi

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
yboy11 said:
Thanks kurppasing, this is good news. I know it is subjective but it is good to hear. Any other thoughts? I gladly listen.
put them on yourself--it's extremely easy (assuming you know how to handle a wrench!). make sure you get the SE gaskets (recommended by V&H) too!

·
Registered
50 Posts
V&H Quiet baffle

Thanks guys on all the input on this topic. Will take the advice and do my own wrenching. I do plan on using the SE gaskets,good reminder. Now,The stage 1 air kit ,any installation problems? And finally,the power commander(w/ O2 eliminator)as suggeted by Power Commander sales.Can I really set this up myself and use my own lap top for the final program?Have to save some $$$ somewhere. yboy11

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
yboy11 said:
Thanks guys on all the input on this topic. Will take the advice and do my own wrenching. I do plan on using the SE gaskets,good reminder. Now,The stage 1 air kit ,any installation problems? And finally,the power commander(w/ O2 eliminator)as suggeted by Power Commander sales.Can I really set this up myself and use my own lap top for the final program?Have to save some $$$ somewhere. yboy11
SEAC is cake--15 minute job. do a seach and you'll find info about ordering the parts separately from zanotti's for much less, and buy the K&N replacement filter for the SEAC instead of the HD filter--HD is crappy paper...K&N can be cleaned and is lifetime warranteed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sammi," Big City Thunder ' now that makes things interesting. Sounds like that is another option to persue. Thanks yboy11

·
Cherokee Biker
206 Posts
I have the BSS on my 06 FXDL - had the quiet bafffles put in for a deeper, throatier sound. Only drops decibel level a bit. Had the Ness big sucker stage 1 air cleaner put on also without the "football" cover - just the insert- looks and sounds great like a Harley should. Also notice a nice increase in power and torque. :chopper:

·
Registered
41 Posts
The quiet baffles will get louder over time as the fiberglass packing burns away. V&H recommends repacking about once a year.

Oh yeah, and don't forget to leave the tape on the glass when you install. Many remove the tape thinking its a shipping/packaging aid or something. Wrong, it's supposed to melt/burn in with the glass so the baffles stay packed longer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Chief270, Is it feasible to put extra packing to make the "quiet baffle" easier on the ear? Anyone modify the baffle for quiet without giving up power/torque?Still on the line about the noise issue.Thanks, yboy11

·
semi-retired
1,844 Posts
this?

yboy11 said:
Chief270, Is it feasible to put extra packing to make the "quiet baffle" easier on the ear? Anyone modify the baffle for quiet without giving up power/torque?Still on the line about the noise issue.Thanks, yboy11
take a look at their premier packing www.fmfracing.com

1 - 20 of 30 Posts