V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Compression testers are cheap. I suggest getting one and doing a (cold) compression test, throttle and choke wide open so they don't cause low readings. It's nice to know top end health for both troubleshooting and planning. Post readings. Given clean plugs I expect they'll be good but it's better to know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Evos should be good to well over 100K, but since I replace the same parts in a rebuild either way I'll run (any) engine until it smokes like a four stack destroyer. I don't have to any more but when I was bucks down I learned how far I can push a motor. I have a different suggestion. Don't fix that engine, score a second, build that then swap in a weekend just like the car guys. Alternate option, build another top end and swap that. You can save the old cases for the serial number freaks but the collector market will be gutted for quite a while by the economy after the shock sets in. It's a machine and exists to serve you. If I were buying right now (it figures I have everything I want already so I'll be buying machine tools instead) you can bet I'd offer a "corona price" and take it or leave it. Toys are just toys and I'm not running a moto-charity. Some sellers will imagine things will go back to normal instantly but I've seen enough crashes to know better.
FXRs make great daily drivers which is why I bought my '88 new.
You came to the right forum.
I like the idea of having an extra engine to throw In when this one takes a ****, thanks for the advice. Leaking oil from my primary where the belt links up blowing oil everywhere.... I gotta take the whole primary inner and outer off to get to that seal? Should I just order a full gasket kit and re do the whole primary????

·
Registered
16,386 Posts
Leaking oil from my primary where the belt links up blowing oil everywhere.... I gotta take the whole primary inner and outer off to get to that seal? Should I just order a full gasket kit and re do the whole primary????
Possibilities are

1) Primarary shaft seal. Likely leaking because the bearing race has walked on the shaft and no longer on the seal.

2) Trans final drive gear seal. The seal has worn a groove in the sprocket spacer. You'll need to order both seal and spacer. And while your this far in, replace the quad seal that goes on the inside of the sprocket spacer.

And yes, the inner has to come off for either one.

Make sure you have the Harley Service Manual (not Haynes or Clymer). And you'll need a couple special tools.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

21 - 23 of 23 Posts