V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up everybody, newbie here, Ratboy from Orange County California. Just picked up a 92 FXR daily driver, put about 4k miles on it blowing some white smoke. took the pipes off to replace a broke stud (that was a series pain in the ass) when the pipes were off I could see oil oozing down from the valve guide on one cylinder. For me I need the bike to get to work and back for a while I don't see any problem running it with a bit of oil burning. bike runs good plugs are clean still. how long can I go before I need to do the top end?

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Valve Guide Seal...Guide should still be OK... But yea... pull heads... not a big deal really... or like me... just Ride it till it actually causes problems... should not Smoke once warmed up!!!

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Once you pull the head I'm gonna bet you need valves (worn stems), guides&seals and possibly a valve seat grind.
and then at that point you might as well do springs too. and while that's being done new rings and a quick measurement to OK just a light ball hone ,if necessary, on cyl.'s. and a new gasket set & head bolts. Better take a quick glance at the oil breather gear and replace if damaged. Those ign. sensors (nose cone) seem to get melty, take a quick look, might as well stick some adj. pushrods in there for ease. and maybe take a peek at the lifters for scoring. and........
Oh hell, just take it all apart in the living room.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
^^^ And yet my '93 E-Motor is working quite well without all that BS... Thank You
No way Anyone can replace either valves .. nor especially guides without a real Valve job...
and No reason to disturb the Jugs/pistons to do the heads.. Finally... I never understood Adjustable pushrods if the heads are Off!!!!!
Now Lifters?? I have heard they are not a long Lived Item!!! But again... some of us must learn the hard way...
ie Ride the Damn Thing....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Once you pull the head I'm gonna bet you need valves (worn stems), guides&seals and possibly a valve seat grind.
and then at that point you might as well do springs too. and while that's being done new rings and a quick measurement to OK just a light ball hone ,if necessary, on cyl.'s. and a new gasket set & head bolts. Better take a quick glance at the oil breather gear and replace if damaged. Those ign. sensors (nose cone) seem to get melty, take a quick look, might as well stick some adj. pushrods in there for ease. and maybe take a peek at the lifters for scoring. and........
Oh hell, just take it all apart in the living room.
yeah I get it. I just don't see anything wrong with a little leak in the guide seal besides oil consumption and bad for the environment. What I'm asking is Am I dumb to run it like this or is it fine? The youngsters like me say to run it and some of the older boys have said to take care of it. I don't mind a bit of smoke in the morning and a little extra $ for oil.

·
Registered
8,823 Posts
if it really starts running through the oil,, like a quart in 500 miles,,, I would fix it... you are building carbon deposits on the piston and in the chamber. qnd gumming things up...

it will smoke at start up,,, and when you are getting in it.. other than that you will rarely see smoke while cruising..

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I ran my bike for a year (or more) with a leaking valve guide with no major problems. Just as Tall Terry said, it eventually got to the point that I was carrying oil with me (1 qt every 800 miles), black smoke on hard acceleration, carbon deposits on spark plug. So you can ride it, but plan on fixing it in the near future.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
My '93 puffs a very small bit of Blue/White smoke on a Cold startup... never any more...and it did throw some Black smoke on hard acceleration [at the drag strip] untill I tuned it...including re-jetting the Carb... never heard of oil causing Black smoke..

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
My '93 puffs a very small bit of Blue/White smoke on a Cold startup... never any more...and it did throw some Black smoke on hard acceleration [at the drag strip] untill I tuned it...including re-jetting the Carb... never heard of oil causing Black smoke..
Right, oil causes blue smoke. Thinking back, at the time the bike was running rich, choke wasn't required on a cold start. ha. Is it possible for any carbon build up to blow out at high RPM?

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Right, oil causes blue smoke. Thinking back, at the time the bike was running rich, choke wasn't required on a cold start. ha. Is it possible for any carbon build up to blow out at high RPM?
You bet carbon blows out at High RPM... In the Day we used Water and Higher RPM to Clean Top Ends before disassembly!!! [Caution; do Not leave Mufflers On if you do this]

·
Super Moderator
20,185 Posts
You bet carbon blows out at High RPM... In the Day we used Water and Higher RPM to Clean Top Ends before disassembly!!! [Caution; do Not leave Mufflers On if you do this]
In the 70's Ford sold bags of crushed walnuts to clear carbon from combustion chambers. They had a little tool to regulate the feed in through the PCV port.

And when they first moved to unleaded gasoline, the valve guide wear was so bad that the essential tools included valve guide reamers so the tech's could install valves with over sized stems on the line. Ream the guide, hit the seats with a quick way cutter, and put new valves in.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
In the 70's Ford sold bags of crushed walnuts to clear carbon from combustion chambers. They had a little tool to regulate the feed in through the PCV port.

And when they first moved to unleaded gasoline, the valve guide wear was so bad that the essential tools included valve guide reamers so the tech's could install valves with over sized stems on the line. Ream the guide, hit the seats with a quick way cutter, and put new valves in.
Many shops made a Killing selling Unleaded valve seats... I never even considered that... Never heard Unleaded having an affect on Guides, missed profit opportunity there also.... sure hasn't affected any I own!! Now I do Recall the putting guide seals on early guides robbed lubrication and caused excessive wear..

·
Registered
870 Posts
Evos should be good to well over 100K, but since I replace the same parts in a rebuild either way I'll run (any) engine until it smokes like a four stack destroyer. I don't have to any more but when I was bucks down I learned how far I can push a motor. I have a different suggestion. Don't fix that engine, score a second, build that then swap in a weekend just like the car guys. Alternate option, build another top end and swap that. You can save the old cases for the serial number freaks but the collector market will be gutted for quite a while by the economy after the shock sets in. It's a machine and exists to serve you. If I were buying right now (it figures I have everything I want already so I'll be buying machine tools instead) you can bet I'd offer a "corona price" and take it or leave it. Toys are just toys and I'm not running a moto-charity. Some sellers will imagine things will go back to normal instantly but I've seen enough crashes to know better.
FXRs make great daily drivers which is why I bought my '88 new.
You came to the right forum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Whats up everybody, newbie here, Ratboy from Orange County California. Just picked up a 92 FXR daily driver, put about 4k miles on it blowing some white smoke. took the pipes off to replace a broke stud (that was a series pain in the ass) when the pipes were off I could see oil oozing down from the valve guide on one cylinder. For me I need the bike to get to work and back for a while I don't see any problem running it with a bit of oil burning. bike runs good plugs are clean still. how long can I go before I need to do the top end?
Good morning,I have read your thread an have a question, you an others are saying valve guide? Are you meaning the actual guide on the valves? You can only see those when you remove the rocker covers and valve spring. I think maybe you mean push rod tubes?
If the rocker covers are leaking just do gaskets, push rod tubes, do o rings maybe add adjustable pushrods.
White smoke is fuel blue grey smoke is oil, check your carb.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Good morning,I have read your thread an have a question, you an others are saying valve guide? Are you meaning the actual guide on the valves? You can only see those when you remove the rocker covers and valve spring. I think maybe you mean push rod tubes?
If the rocker covers are leaking just do gaskets, push rod tubes, do o rings maybe add adjustable pushrods.
White smoke is fuel blue grey smoke is oil, check your carb.
Look into the port...intake Off and/or Exhaust removed... you can see the Guides!! And certainly traces of oil ...if it is there..

Good Point about Terminology tho... If we do Not all Use the "by the book" terminology....all is in Vain...
What then causes Black Smoke??? if not Fuel?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts