V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my rocker box gaskets breathers ex, replaced because of leakage at 35000 miles. A month latter there leaking again. I'm going to do the job my self this time. Before I start any advice on replacement of the gaskets so it won't leak again?

·
Super Moderator
3,042 Posts
I would be inclined to check and tighten them down some more first.If you replace them I would use Genuine HD gaskets.They are a good quality gasket.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would be inclined to check and tighten them down some more first.If you replace them I would use Genuine HD gaskets.They are a good quality gasket.
retorque the same gaskets? I need to remove the exhaust and top cover to get to all the fasteners? I try that first,

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
retorque or replace,,, harley gaskets aw good,,, make sure the surfaces are flat and clean,, install dry,, except any rubber gaskets a light silicone spray helps them find their place while torquing

·
Super Moderator
20,317 Posts
Any of the metal core gaskets will give fine service.

Now to be on the same page, this deals with rocker cover gaskets, not the rocker housing gaskets.

First check it for loose rocker cover bolts. If they are loose, then they probably did not get fresh thread locker the last time they were worked on. You can tighten them up for now. But at some point they will need to be redone properly.

Before you tear it down, check the breather valves. If you can suck air out of the motor, they are fine. If not, then the flappers may be installed upside down. And is fairly common with repeated upper end leaks.

Next check the sump for excess oil. Run the motor for a minute or so. Then heat and remove the plug in the bottom of the case, measure the amount of oil that comes out. More than 6oz and you have an oil pump issue.

If all of that is fine then take care of the top end leak. If the bolts are tight, look for some reason that the casket would have leaked. Cut, torn, trash pinched in the flange. If it all looks good, then its straight edge time. Make sure the cover and housing ar flat. Look for pulled threads in the housing, look for excess old thread locker in the housing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
leaking gaskets

yes both cover and housing gaskets I believed were replaced. Its hard to tell if both gaskets are leaking again because of all the fresh oil and the Harley mechanic that did the job didn't clean all of the old oil off.
I did give him all Jim gaskets to use but I believed he only gave me back some of the old ones.
How do you suck air out of the motor to check the breathers?
With the tank, exhaust and battery off of the harley so the torque can be checked how do I run it to check oil in the case?

·
Super Moderator
3,042 Posts
James gaskets?If so,I wouldn't use them again.The three brands of gaskets that I have successfully used are Genuine HD, Cyco,and Cometic. I like HD on the rocker cover(s) because they seem to have a bit of a thicker seal coating. Although I have never had a problem with Cometic or Cyco brands either.

·
Super Moderator
20,317 Posts
yes both cover and housing gaskets I believed were replaced. Its hard to tell if both gaskets are leaking again because of all the fresh oil and the Harley mechanic that did the job didn't clean all of the old oil off.
I did give him all Jim gaskets to use but I believed he only gave me back some of the old ones.
How do you suck air out of the motor to check the breathers?
With the tank, exhaust and battery off of the harley so the torque can be checked how do I run it to check oil in the case?
Depends on how your air box is set up. Most have a hose connected to the bolt that holds it to the head.

Just stick a longer hose on there and suck on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts