V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a set of SE 95" high compression forged pistons I'm about to put into my TC. Does anyone know (roughly) how much cam lift these pistons will support? (give er' take - with unmilled heads, and neglecting any tolerance stack-up)
I'm looking at a set of Crane HTC-296-2 cams - I like their timing numbers, but lift is .619. I don't want to be machining pistons to get them to work....

thanks for any help...

ryan

·
Registered
153 Posts
I am looking forward to this thread. I am doing the same thing with the 95 pistons. I'm going with the crane cam with 570 lift with40 overlap. I have been wondering about clearence, Clarence. I'v been told that at 600 and up lift you need to grind for clearence.
Sorry I'm no help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I ended up going with Crane HTC-290-2. They have 570 lift, and 173/198 @ TDC.
I'm also going with bigger valves (1.94/1.65), so whoever I have setup the heads will set the depth accordingly.
I'll clay the valve pockets to confirm.
I'd like to shave the heads if possible to get the CR up to 10.5:1 - I read that HD HC pistons with stock heads are only 9.5:1... again, I'm going to cc the heads and pistons to confirm....

A lot of work ahead....

·
Registered
153 Posts
please let me know how it goes. That is the same cam that I am going with I will be using the domed pistons to get the higher compression.
Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Even a .570" cam is NOT a bolt in cam.
Every engine is a bit different, but you should be checking cam clearances before you even get to the heads. There may be a clearance issue between the cam lobes and the boss for the pinion bearing and the boss for the lifters. No big deal to machine them with the engine in place.

You also need to check valve to valve clearance. It tends to become critical with larger valves and cams that have a lot of TDC lift.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Lobe to boss clearances should be at least .030" and valve to valve clearance TDC lift + .060"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts