V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to the service manager at our local HD dealership, there is a major concern among the region's HD dealers about the glut of V-Rods in their inventories and was a major topic of discussion at a recent NC/SC dealers meeting. One HD dealer reported that he is has 11 V-Rods for sale and is refusing to accept delivery of any more. The dealerships have found that the initial clamor over the new bike has quickly died down and now they are stuck with more V-Rods than they feel comfortable with. V-Rods that were going out the door carrying $thousands in dealer markup are now being offered at or just below MSRP.

Anyone looking for a good deal on a new V-Rod might want to consider taking a road trip and swinging by the NC and SC HD dealers. I get the feeling they would be real glad to see you walk through the door.

·
Registered
351 Posts
NO need to go to SC or NC for a good V-rod price.. My local dealer was begging me to buy a new aniv... painted black/silver with a full 6 year ext. warranty for 15,500... out the door! He also has about 8 V-Rods no moving.... Doesn't want to carry over the inventory or take on additional bikes... Well it's winter and the younger V-Rod prospective buyers are holding off..

·
Registered
312 Posts
I can second the that about nc/sc they are clogging up the stores in SC too. I know a dealer with 3 on the floor, and sware one was the first one they got it. Its kinda dusty and back in the corner.

·
Registered
515 Posts
i hate to hear that. I would like the V-Rod remain success. I think , once the expenditures of Christmas are behind us and into spring with tax refunds. At 15,000.00 they'll blow out.

·
Registered
414 Posts
V-Rods that were going out the door carrying $thousands in dealer markup are now being offered at or just below MSRP.
I'm not going to try and start a war here but where is it written that we, the buyers, should have to pay ANYTHING over msrp?
All harleys are over-priced to begin with. Here in the Seattle-Tacoma area I know of one dealer that is selling for $500 under msrp on vrods while another still wants$3000 over msrp. Guess who is selling? During the month of Dec. they also offered ALL HD's for msrp + $600 to cover frt & setup. The days of selling over msrp are almost over. With harley building over 200,000 bikes for '03 tell me, you don't think that is flooding the market? btw the build dates for '03 extend through Aug. So that means you won't even see a new '04 until Sept. or Oct.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I paid MSRP on Feb. 02. I don't think any of the Cleveland area dealerships sell for over MSRP anymore. I love my HD, but doesn't it just turn your stomach a little to know that you could by two 2003 Suzuki Intruder 1500's ($9,995 MSRP) for the price of one V-Rod?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Up here in Canada, I paid $26,999 + $450 freight/PDI for my 02 V-Rod. A new 03 is over $30K! They still are selling for full MSRP as we only got 250 02s and there are only 600 03s allotted for us Canucks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
VROD not selling

As a proud owner of an '02 VROD, I must say that all of this negative rhetoric about the bikes not selling is a bit unsettling.

If you look at any of the big dealerships, you will see tons of new and slightly used Fatboys, Sportsers, Softails, etc... just sitting out collecting dust on showroom floors.

I think it's just the nature of the Harley beast. I do agree that we will see the market flooded soon and probably with every model of Harley.

These things tend to be cyclical.

I think that all who own a VROD should be proud of having one of (if not the...) the most beautiful and technologically advance machines on the face of this earth.

I for one, will continue to ride proud and enjoy the stares for however long it lasts!

Just my $.02 worth... not meant to offend.

-Dipper

·
Registered
725 Posts
Agree with the previous post...

V-Rod sell-through is a regional thing... in some places like the Carolinas, they aren't selling as well as other places... like in the Rocky Mtn area, and southwest. My very large Colorado dealer can't keep them in stock (at MSRP+), while one sees plenty of unsold big twins on the floor. I think most places where one sees unsold V-Rods on the floor, unsold big twins will also be present. It's easier to see the unsold V-Rod on the floor, while the others kinda blend in ;) .

I frequent forums of others makes, and to be sure, the V-Rod is a highly desirable bike. Not all can afford it, but it is high on the wish list of many motorcycle riders.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Its probably a regional and cyclical thing. Bear in mind its winter, people arent't really thinking motorcycle riding/ buying, unless you own one now and are dreading winter weather. And we just got through Christmas, buying all those presents for family and friends, spending lots of money. Give it some time, nice warmer riding weather, sunshine, and people will start thinking riding/buying HDs again. Sales will heat up soon.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Well this year is turning out to be a bit different than any I recall in the past 10 years. We are having a very mild winter. Usually, used and new bikes are all vouched for by the end of the Christmas season except for Sportsters. This year, the show room floor is full of used and new bikes. A half-dozen V-RODs are where there was one "do not touch" last year. The dealer said they didn't want to order as many next year, and Harley HQ said that if they didn't take their allotment, then they'd loose out on their Dealer Harley points. Argh, that's bad! We'll see. The word is out that we are in a recession too, don't forget.

If the prices go any lower, I can justify having another bike!

·
Registered
312 Posts
My dealer has been flooded with vrods since the introduction(in SC)

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Must be true

I purchased my new 03 silver Vrod 2 days ago off of an EBAY ad for 16900 out the door at a NC Harley dealer. He sold 3 like this on Ebay. Two tone had a 17500 BUY IT NOW price. The owner said that was all he planned on dealing on Ebay like that. He admitted that he had inventory to move.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Truely its nice to see that, hopefully the rest of them will follow.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The dealer I mentioned in the beginning post just announced a $1500 rebate on all new V-Rods in stock. The dealer has the biggest HD inventory I have ever seen on their showroom floor but they aren't offering any discounts like that on any of their other HD models.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Strat- no need to go to the Carolinas, I paid MSRP last Feb. for mine in Cleveland. Although I'm sure the riding is a lot better in NC/SC right now!

·
Registered
701 Posts
I wish I was on this forum a few months back. The Hampton dealer was trying to blow the V-Rods out the door for around $11,500. This was back in July.

·
Registered
16 Posts
:( The consensus among the several dealers in the area is that the weather,time of year and the majority of V-Rod buyer are younger{which means I have become old} and moving from import bikes to the V-Rod.This makes sense,but we have to admit that the bike has a limited following.Yea people can long distance tour ,you can bar hop or you can drag one but it still has a basically limited use as a cruiser.The over abundence of aniversary bikes doesn't help at all.Fourteen months of production,and they all look alike,sounds like *** bike bashing doesn't it?But I like my V-Rod for whatever it is.One thing to check why the market is so soft at the dealer is to check KBB.com,trade in value,you won't like it any more than I did.

Ride Safe, Waterhead

1 - 20 of 21 Posts