V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has happen to me twice. I have an 02 with the security alarm. First time was last weekend. Stop at an Indian Dealer that was having an Open house. Didn't set alarm, came back about 2 hours later. Turn key to the on position, click run switch to run. I hear the fuel pump come to life.

Hit the start switch nothing. Turn it off back on, try agian! Nothing!

Pull the clutch in shift into first then back to neutral. I try it agian. It started up. Ride home with no problems.

Went out to start it up on Monday. This time the alarm was set. Turned off alarm, turned the key to on, click the run switch to run fuel pump comes to life. Press the Start button, nothing! Did the samething as above, nothing! Tried my other key nothing. At this point I'm about to push start it. Not fun :( !! I've done it before. Push it out of the garage, pop it into second. Thought I would try it once more.

The big V-Rod fires right up!!!!!

Has anyone else had the same problem? And if so what was the fix?

The V-Rod is at the dealer getting new shoes and the fuel sending unit replaced, for the fuel gage going to empty after filling the tank.

:confused:

Cal

·
Registered
70 Posts
Wish I had an answer for you, but I'm having the same problem with my Ford Escape. Suddenly after 16 trouble-free months of service the Theft light on the dash flashes and it won't start. I've had to have it towed in by Emergency Roadside Assistance four times. Its been sitting in my driveway for over two weeks because I'm tired of getting stranded. Now I'm just waiting for the buyback paperwork to arrive so I can get rid of this POS that the dealership can't fix and move on.

Sorry this doesn't help you, but it sure helped me to vent!

·
Registered
906 Posts
The only time I experienced soemthing similar was when I left the security system on overnight -drained the friggin battery completely.

But yours sounds like a completely different problem -make the dealership own up to the warranty, you shouldn't have to troubleshoot $hit for them.

The V-Rod does have a feature which kills the engine when it is laid down...wonder if that feature would have anything to do with it?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
My battery's dead if unused for 3-4 days wheather I use the alarm or not.
Harley must own stock in trickle chargers.

·
Banned
490 Posts
Huh?

rhauft said:
My battery's dead if unused for 3-4 days wheather I use the alarm or not.
I have not had any battery problems leaving my V-Rod sit for a few days - I would suggest that there is some electrical problem (short, busted switch, sensor, etc.) that is causing this problem. A motorcycle battery should not run flat in 3-4 days.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update to the V-Rod not starting. The machanic called H-D and was told to replace the start switch on the handle bar. I rode it all day Sat. with out any problems. I hope this really fixs the problem.

The fuel sending unit was also replaced, because of the erradic fuel gauge. Filled up once on Sat. and the gauge was rock solid.

:)

Cal

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Droped it off at the dealer on Monday and as of today (Weds) it hasn't been touched yet.

My battery has been weak since day 1 (March). Last June, it went stone dead after sitting for 3+ weeks while I was out of town. The dealer charged it for 24+hrs. and its been problematic ever since.

Anybody else have charging issues?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Could it possibly be the battery....see if the battery holds a charge while its disconnected from the system.

Also..do the lights dim when you rev it?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
So you think the battery's got something to do with it, eh?

Now I'm no rocket scientist, but I'm going way out on a limb by agreeing with you.

Now if the rocket scientists at my dealer would get off their fat a$$es, I might see my bike before the first rains:(

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I spoke to soon! Went to start it last night, same thing won't start. This time I turned the run stop switch on and off a few times and tapped on the switch itself. Tried agian and it fired right up. Rode straight to the dealer. They came out to check it over but couldn't get it to happen agian. After the season is over I'll take it to them to dig into it further.

Cal

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Is it soup yet?

Here's a bombshell for yuh: They said it was the battery:p
Going to pick her up from the dealer in a few minutes.

At least I'll have her for the weekend :cool:

·
Registered
67 Posts
It happened to me...

Any one get any more info since their previous posts above? Any new experiences?

I had this problem happen yesterday with my 700mile 2003 rod...

I was making a bunch of stops on the bike and after the last stop, I noticed the check engine light and the security key light were on solid WHILE I was driving the bike. I pulled into a parking lot to stop and start it and, it did not start. The same symptoms as above: Hear the fuel pump, but nothing from the start button.

Also, the bike would not respond to the key fob, or go into program mode.

At the parking lot, I pulled the Maxifuse several times. Nothing. Then I left it out for a while to read the manual, and when I put the fuse back in it started, so I rode it home (1/2 mile away). At home, it wouldn't start again.

So I called the dealer about bringing it in. When I went back out, it started so I drove it over there.

Of course, none of this happened at the dealer. What I got was a pretty insulting explanation of how I must not know how to disarm and arm the system with the key fob.

I could believe that it was battery related, because I let the bike sit for 3-4 days and then made very short runs between banks, etc. I even left the lights on (with fogs) at some of these stops. So maybe the voltage got low enough to confuse the security module...If that's the case, it's a bad electrical design (I'm a EE, so I can say that with confidence). There was plenty of power to power the head lamps and starter, so the security system should be able to stay happy with that level.

Any one get any more info since their previous posts above? Any new experiences?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had a problem last month with my bike not starting. I rode to the state dealers rally and completed a poker run which ended at the rally site. I tried to leave for a quick trip to the local Harley shop, but my V-Rod refused to start. It made all the normal sounds, but just wouldn't crank. I couldn't have asked for a better spot to breakdown, since the local service and parts managers were right there to assist immediately. The service manager was able to crank it once, but subsequent attempts failed. Within 15 minutes it was on a trailer arriving at the service dept, where the V-Rod tech stood outside ready to unload it. Before pushing it inside he got it to start, but I told him to try it again and he had no luck. It didn't take long to diagnose the problem. Water had gotten into the wiring and connections for the power commander, when the bike was washed the previous day. Amazingly, it had run 100 miles in this condition without a hint of problem, until it suddenly refused to crank at the rally, accompanied by error lights on the instrument cluster. Ultimately, he disconnected the PCIIIr, drained all the water out of the line and everything returned to normal.

I'm sure that's not the problem for any of you, since that's too simple, but I just thought I would share it anyway. We've learned to use the mist-spray setting on the water nozzle instead of the jet-spray setting. We had sprayed only the outside of the air box cover, not the inside, but water got under the cover and traveled through one end of the power commander down into the wiring. It was unbelievable how much water spurted out when he disconnected it. You would've thought we had removed the cover and aimed the water hose right at it. :eek: He recommended that we should enclose the PCIIIr in a plastic bag.

·
Registered
10 Posts
vrod battery problem or?

Hi, My 2006 sreaming eagle vrod has problems starting.
It use to not start if i didn't ride the bike every 3-4 days, now it wont start.
The battery is only 2 years old. (my second battery in 3 years)
When i not riding the vrod i leave it attached to the battery tender.
The multimeter reads between 12.7 to 13.4 and when i try to start the bike it turns slowly for a second then just goes click click click like a flat battery.
I have to jump start the bike from my car, and i go for a good ride then as soon as i stop, the same thing happens when i try to start the bike it turns slowly for a second then just goes click click click like a flat battery.
I even took battery out and put on a battery charger till it read charged but same thing happened.
I rang bike shop and they suggested checking earth straps on frame and battery but all ok.
Next they said i need a new battery!!! but the bikes battery is still reading 12.7 on the multimeter.
Has anyone else had this problem? and fixed it???

·
Premium Member
6,027 Posts
Remove all three grounds and clean them. Do not just look at them. Remove them and clean them. Reattached to torque spec.

When done start the bike and put multimeter on battery. Should be 13.8 to 14.2 volts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
vrod battery problem or?

Hi, My 2006 sreaming eagle vrod has problems starting.
It use to not start if i didn't ride the bike every 3-4 days, now it wont start.
The battery is only 2 years old. (my second battery in 3 years)
When i not riding the vrod i leave it attached to the battery tender.
The multimeter reads between 12.7 to 13.4 and when i try to start the bike it turns slowly for a second then just goes click click click like a flat battery.
I have to jump start the bike from my car, and i go for a good ride then as soon as i stop, the same thing happens when i try to start the bike it turns slowly for a second then just goes click click click like a flat battery.
I even took battery out and put on a battery charger till it read charged but same thing happened.
I rang bike shop and they suggested checking earth straps on frame and battery but all ok.
Next they said i need a new battery!!! but the bikes battery is still reading 12.7 on the multimeter.
Has anyone else had this problem? and fixed it???
What was your fix?
I have this problem on my '09 vrod muscle. Dealership told me the stator was bad, so I replaced that. It was improved for a little while (~ a month), but now worse than ever. My charger will show the battery at 100% and it won't start, but if I jump start it, it will start and ride fine until I shut it off...I can immediately try to restart it and it won't.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Your battery could be bad and still show 12.7 volts. You could also have a bad/poor ground.
Check the grounds,. all three of them. On on top of each cylinder head and a third frame to engine located lower left frame to lower right rear engine. Clean the connections real good and make sure there are good and tight..
Failing that pull your battery and take it to a auto parts store and have them load check.
'
Let us know what transpires.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your battery could be bad and still show 12.7 volts. You could also have a bad/poor ground.
Check the grounds,. all three of them. On on top of each cylinder head and a third frame to engine located lower left frame to lower right rear engine. Clean the connections real good and make sure there are good and tight..
Failing that pull your battery and take it to a auto parts store and have them load check.
'
Let us know what transpires.
Sorry for the delay in responding. I cleaned everything and added dielectric grease to assure good connections. It was a little better, but not much. I replaced the battery and then was good to go; so it must have lost capacity or amperage.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts