V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
V-Rod turns 500--an update
Well yesterday was the day------the weather broke along the North Coast , and i had 400mi. on her-----dang, its hard to rack-um up at 55--------so i took a long roundabout ( cant use the freeway when your breakin in a bike lest you become grill foder for some Peterbilt ) way to the dealer to pick up a rod tech manual i ordered-------it was about 10 miles out from the dealer that she rolled 500 and i rolled her on to the freeway------as i went through her gears on the on-ramp i swear i could hear a familiar tune coming from the block----it sounded like Joe Cocker singin "Unchain my Heart"------yes, my Rod was talkin to me------well i roll the throttle up and down to let her stretch a little bit and for me to get the feel-------and then i cuh-cuh-cuh-cuh-cut her loose ( if you know the joke)--------what can i say-----this machine puts the "T" in thrill------she did two things at the same time, Rumble & Cook------------went up and kissed the zone for a second then we both came out of the Ether--------we tooled home, shut down and chilled-------it was a good day for man and machine---------------RESULTS , OBSERVATIONS, SIDE-EFFECTS--------other than two detached len's, strained meta-carples of the right and left hand , slight whiplash to the neck and a small sonic boom , everything went OK---------later........Hutch

ps----- WE ALL ARE ROY BATTY -----

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just curious...

You never rode & the VROD is your first bike?

How do you get to this decision?

How are you finding the VROD handling, from a new learning experience?

just curious...:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hutch,

I pushed past 500 about a week ago. :D Your description is right on! I now have about 750 miles and, last night, went up to 6K rpm. I was a little concerned at some extra vibration. It may be a combination of my experience (I have been riding a Road King for 4 years) and the engine still breaking in.

Your thoughts/experience?

Thanks.....CJ

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I WAS SMITTEN

downtownD said:
Just curious...

You never rode & the VROD is your first bike?

-----pretty much----snitched rides on friends over the years but never had my own bike----------

How do you get to this decision?

------well my wife and i decided to get into bikes------saw a web site where a couple bought two Honda Pacific Coast's----thought that was cool, so i went on a hunt------found a 1989 on e-bay in n.j. and rode her back to ohio (first road trip)-----my legs were killin me, i knew that i had to stretch um out a little more------looked at the harley's , saw the Rod, and I WAS SMITTEN , big time------------

How are you finding the VROD handling, from a new learning experience?

just curious...:D
---------she handles good for me------i think i feel the effects of the rake at very low (turning the corners, parking lot stuff) speed-----too , i felt a new vibration when i went above 60, just like curtjn said in the post below------it was almost a vibration free break-in , and now i felt it in the grips----between 65 and 70 the most, then it smoothed out----probably needs to run and flex in the higher rpm's for awhile-------its been cold and have not had her out since the last post-------will try and have some fun and get some more road time----SOON........Hutch

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey curtjn

check my post to downtownD-------i think were both feelin the same thing on that vibration------i know engines have a " critical speed " that your not sposed to keep um at -----sure hope it's not 65/70, for obvious reasons...........Hutch

1 - 5 of 5 Posts