V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out this link guys: http://www.mainstreetmotorcycles.com/231.html
I had mine done last week and it sounds AWESOME! I have been waved over by several Vrod owners demanding to know what's up with those pipes. Finally. My ride sounds like it looks: BAAAD!

Not only does it sound like rolling thunder, it also increases peak performance by 5-7HP! No B.S. the dyno doesn't lie.

Talk to Steve at Main Street Motorcycles: 800-513-4310 You'll be glad you did!

speed safely,
Rob

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
dyno runs

JMS,
Hope this works. There were four dyno runs, stock, v-mod pipe only, v-mod & k&n and v-mod pipe/k&n/no airbox cover.

This first dyno run was with a bone stock V-Rod w/stock pipe and air filter = [email protected] 8000rpm. These are real world numbers, not lofty inflated factory claims.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
dyno run w/v-mod pipe & k&n

This run was with V-Mod pipe and K&N (SE) air filter = 106.3HP @ 8100rpm.

The best results came from a run with V-Mod pipe, K&N and the airbox cover removed = 107.2HP @ 8300rpm.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have the SE slip on's and remap. My dyno was 104.9 @ 8200 RPM. Wonder if those pipes could be modified the same way?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SE pipe & re-map

JoeJitsu,
If my memory serves me, none of the dyno runs were done with the SE re-map.

veerodder,
I'm certain they can modify your SE stock pipes but your results will be no different than with the stock pipe V-Mod. Talk to Steve Rauch @ Mainstreet Motorcycles, http://www.mainstreetmotorcycles.com/index.html
1-800-513-4310

I run my bike with the V-Mod pipes + SE re-map + K&N w/air box cover removed. The motor runs strong, with a noticeable peak improvement. It also runs cooler than before. The thing that really seals the deal though is the sound - it rumbles at idle and when you crack open the throttle it has a beautiful bark that is unlike any other bike. It sounds BAAAD!

speed safely

·
Registered
544 Posts
I don't know about this, aren't they having problems with Sampson pipes being too open and burning the exhaust valves? I have been told these bikes do require back pressure.

At last years bike week a guy with a new loud set of Sampson did a dyno pull and ran 95HP, then they did a stock V-Rod with stock quite mufflers and it posted 107HP and more torque.

I’ll stick with my SE, and the new chip.

But it does look good.

Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Burned up valves would be caused by running too lean right? If You just throw an open pipe on this thing your gonna lean it out bigtime. But I've been thinking of doing a similar mod. Maybe not removing the entire baffle core. But cutting the baffles down some should improve the sound eh?

I bet that thing is loud as hell! And if you're pulling 107hp, it's not running poorly. That's for sure! How's the fuel injection now? Any flat spots on the bottom end?

I'm scared to mod this bike like that. Isn't the FI a closed loop system like the Buells? That makes programing a good fuel map difficult without a scanalyzer doesn't it? Not just a matter of tweaking a Power Commander.

P.S. Love the Mille! My buddy has a 2001. Killer bike.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I bet that thing is loud as hell! And if you're pulling 107hp, it's not running poorly. That's for sure! How's the fuel injection now? Any flat spots on the bottom end?
F/I is working perfectly without a hickup anywhere in the range. It just pulls like gangbusters from 2500rpm until it hits the limiter.

Removing the baffle cores of a stock V-Rod exhaust system has no correlation with Sampson exhaust concerns. Sampson's are crude plumbers pipe compared to the stock Vrod headers 2 into 1 into 2 system. Removing the baffle cores brings the engine to life and makes beautiful music. Yes it's loud, but IMHO not too loud. My riding buds say it is no problem to ride behind me. My dealer's service manager told me today that I am not hurting anything by running without baffles. They loved the sound too.

P.S. Love the Mille! My buddy has a 2001. Killer bike.
Thanks! It's a difficult choice in the morning! Fyi: Both bikes have 60deg, 8v, 4cam, h2O cooled, v-twins, based on WSB grandprix mills. I've done all the race mods available to the Mille and she makes 146RWHP @ 9000rpm!

The Vrod motor has the same potential (more?)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just installed a set of Bub staggered pipes on mine. The sound is definetly much deeper and throaty sounding. I dynoed it stock at Chillicothe Rodeo a couple of weeks ago. It had 105.6 hp at the rear wheel. I am anxious to dyno again now that the new pipes are on it. I am very pleased with the sound and no noticeable difference in the power of the bike, low end or top. I had no remap done for this, according to Bub's tech. it is not neccesary. I will post my new dyno results as soon as I get them.

·
Registered
110 Posts
ohlerj

What year is your bike?
Can't wait to see the dyno results with the Bub's.
Did you install the SE-Air Cleaner?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok,
I'm lost. I've read the term here numerous times. What the heck is a Bub?

Rhauft: I was loving everything you were saying and ready to run out and do the V-mod until you told me your Mille has 146rwhp. C'mon dude. No way. Stock only has like 108rwhp. How the heck are you getting more ponies than most IL4's?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What the heck is a Bub?
It's an after-market exhaust: http://www.bubent.com/
C'mon dude. No way. Stock only has like 108rwhp. How the heck are you getting more ponies than most IL4's?
Way! Factory works Mille's produce approx 200hp. To get 146rwhp out of mine all it took was cubic dollars and a couple of trips to Italy. I have raided all the available parts bins from the WSB racing development with the Mille. Racing heads, injection, airbox/intake/headers/pipe. 146rwhp and there's still more available but I don't want to sacrifice reliability.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
new dyno run

For all the doubters and nay-sayers:

I had my Vrod on a brand new Dynojet this morning at Vallejo H-D.
5 runs and she ran phat (no lean condition).

Temp: 60 deg. F. (HP weather)

Max Power: 117.3 RWHP @ 8200rpm

Max Torque: 80.4 ft-lbs @ 6100rpm

Configuration: SE1 re-map, SE (K&N) air filter and V-Mod mufflers

Note: Best run was with no air filter: 120.2 RWHP! (+3)

·
Registered
906 Posts
Not much left to dispute I guess. :)

Thanks for the pic, it's just that it seems to fly in the face of some others experiences.

I only wisha dyno-jet was within a 100miles so I could also try the mod :p

1 - 20 of 64 Posts