V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got my V-Rod (2003 Silver and Black) it came with a securtiy system (silent). They were selling the audible alarm attachment for $100.

So my question is how useful is an audible security alarm on a bike?

Is it worth the investment? Or does it just needlessly drain the battery?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have the audible alarm, and I don't believe it adds any additional drain on the battery (unless, of course, someone sets off the alarm). It also has it's own internal battery in case your battery doesn't have enough juice to sound the alarm.

Whether or not it's worth the investment is up to you. The way I see it is 100 bucks isn't much extra to pay to add another layer of security to a 20k bike..

·
World's Fastest V-roder
1,907 Posts
Like G-man said whats another $100 bucks?Didn't you know that HD stands for Hundred Dollars!It's cool to show your buddys your V-rod Barks.
Kaz..........

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sold! I'll go get one as soon as I scrounge up a $100. Thanks.

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
Actually, i believe the security system does put a mild drain on the battery, however in a warm - dry climate like yours where the bike isn't stored for any real length of time it won't matter.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Siren

Actually I just paid $79 for the siren (minus the 10% HOG discount) at my dealer. The install is 10-15 minutes (very simple). The siren has its own standard 9volt NiMh rechargeable battery that can be replaced once it has run its life. The battery is basically a back-up just in case the would be-robber decide to disconnect the main 40 amp fuse (so that the siren will still function).

The siren is eventually located between the rear plastic fender and the gas tank with a simple wire plug-in and velcro strap installation.

With my battery fully charged and after a week with the alarm on, it took my battery tender 15-20 minutes to go from charge to floating mode.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts