V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
V-Rod review in Rich Guy Magazine

Saw this and thought you guys might get a kick out of it. Review of V-Rod in Rich Guy magazine:

http://www.richguymag.com/

Dave

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
DAMN, Rich guys got their own magazine!!! I really liked the article 'Choosing your Yacht'. Whew, glad they cleared that crap up because I've been so confused lately on that 'issue':rolleyes: .

This little part in article about V-Rod tells me something -
"This bike could potentially do to Harley Davidson what the S / X type did for Jaguar. Newer Jags have totally changed Jaguar's image, and have attracted a newer target market of younger drivers. This could potentially be the Harley that will change this company's image and position them into the new millennium, as the median age of their riders are 44 year old males."

Guess us 44 & older mofos aren't what they are looking for anymore, huh? :confused: Screw 'em(H-D Motor Corp) and their wannabe rice burner....:p

·
Registered
338 Posts
Speaking as someone who is not 44 and up... I won't be able to afford the damned thing till I'm at least 44 if I start saving today. If it was aimed at the younger age group, it wouldn't cost more than ten times what my friggin car costs.

I'm not talking about the msrp though, I'm talking about the price you're actually going to pay, which can be well over 30 grand.

Christ.

Younger age group my ass.

Bill

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
It's a good thing the guys who paid 30 grand for one are rich, because they'll never see that money again. The local dealer has only sold 2 and ebay has had one all week with NOT A SINGLE BID.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Thanks for the post. Any V-Rod info is appreciated.

The review is a bit dated though. It's for the 2002 model year, just after the V-Rod came out.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
The V-Rod is affordable, if you are a "yuppie" young Internet worker bee who also has a five bedroom house and two BMW's at age 28...

But wait, the IT market has crashed and all those Internet Startups have failed, Stocks are low and the youngsters have to get a job for a living!

Damn, so who now is going to purchase the V-Rods? ;)

John "JFSCHECK" Scheck
Information Technologies Manager (That's IT people)
Some company in Washington DC area
AND OVER 30! :D

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
:D :D :cool: :p John....stop....stop....please you're killing me here......ROFLMAO>>>

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
Hate to break up the hand wringing party

I did buy the bike, and I am in my 40's. To start with it isn't a rice burner any more than your sportster, so get over it. Is the fact that it will leave your carb machine in the dust that is bothering you or what? I mean I like a 4 barrel holley on a old mustang as much as the next guy, but I don't want one on my new car. I'll take fuel injection anyday. I like disc brakes too, another standard upgrade on any new car over a nice 60's or 70's muscle car. Frankly I don't understand the whining from the rest of the harley owners out there about this bike. Does the concept of a high rev engine really bother you that much? I for one have never wanted any harley. till now. I would have driven my old 1980 honda 750 till it died, which would have been never, but harley finally built a bike that fit my needs. That means building a cruiser with the ass to get the hell out of the way. I don't care if it doesn't go "potatoe potatoe" in the parade, because i ain't hanging around for it any way. I want to ride. As for the price, it may be in the high teens, but it isn't any more than any other comparable bike. Don't get me wrong, you don't have to like the bike, but you do have to respect harley for not letting a bunch of grandmothers tell them how to build a bike!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don’t understand it either DJW, I don't know why this IT guys is complaining I guess his old Z120 isn’t working as well as it should and he needs to take it out on someone. Maybe he should up-grade to a 286, what do you think? Only kidding, with you JFScheck.

But on the serious side, this is the future of HD; like it or not; in 10 years air cooled engines won't be around and the beloved motor company shouldn't die with them. Most of it centers around emissions, you just can't get a carb to be nearly as efficient as fuel injection. Not only that but, you can't get as hot or as a complete of a burn from an air cooled engine as you can from one that is water cooled. Is there a car out there, being sold new in the US, that has a carburetor any more?

As for the Porsche connection, Porsche has been working with HD for a long time, they helped develop the Evo heads for the 80ci.

And it’s about time, Harley changed to metric fitting, now you only need one set of tools to work on your American car as you do your American bike, The auto industry switched what 10 - 15 years ago?

Of course if you still have your 57 Chevy you'd have to get a few more tools.

I am also in my mid 40’s and I too remember, my first car - a 71 Roadrunner, 383, 4-speed drum brakes, and handling wasn't the greatest, an yes those blistering back then was what 0-60 in 6 seconds was fast. Well now you can buy a lot of cars that will do it that fast and deliver 20+ miles per gallon.

But I too have changed, gone is the old RR, my current car has twin turbos, all-wheel drive, all-wheel steering, 4 cams, 4 piston front calipers, discs all around, 24 valves and stills gets 20 MPG around town, and I don’t miss the old cars just the ones today are better and have improved. Remember the yearly tune-ups, points, plugs condenser and rotors?

I do think most V-Rod owners are looking for more modern technology is that a bad thing? And as for price I paid $17,400 out the door, from a Dealer in Frederick MD. I know a new FXDWG would have been at least that much, with only one or two chrome bits here or there. I’d also like to see anti lock brakes some time in the future, heck they even have them now on the Viper. Someone sung a song about “Oh the time they are a changing” a while back, guy must be fairly old now but its still true today. My 2 cents anyway.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Woohoo..big dittos to DJW & VA-VRod!!!
I love the old HDs as much as the next guy, but man this bike is the t1t$!
It's about time HD made an asphalt-chewin tire-shreddin cruiser for the rest of us that still have a pulse! :)

Now excuse me while I go empty my colostomy bag... :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts