V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting a V-Rod for next spring. A few questions.

1. How's it sound?
2. Any problems cropping up with the motor or bike in general?
3. If you had it to do over would you still get the V-rod?

Thanks

·
Registered
603 Posts
1. Stock pipes on mine and they sound good to me. I had V&H's on my Sportster & Fatboy & they sound good, but I am into stealth mode now and I think that I will stay that way.

2. I researched the VROD for over a year, HD spent over 6 years developing the VROD and except for the 100 or so engines that were overheated during testing, in the beginning, and some transmissions going south, no major problems that I have found.

3. Definitally would buy another; runs great, handles great. The only problem that I have had so far, knock on wood, is the swarms of people at the gas stations that ask me where I had it custom built.

JMS

·
Registered
147 Posts
I like the sound. It is quiet. Other say it whines when I go by.
I was looking for a Bike for several years. No problems.
I already have one, no need to buy another.
I am a satisfied owner 3700 miles down.
I dont think you could go wrong.

·
Registered
249 Posts
With the Screamin' Eagles the bike sounds great - they're a must.
The engine is amazing - fast, powerful, smooth.
I would have no hestitation buying the V-Rod again.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Great bike. I haven't had any problems so far other than gawkers and talkers, if you consider that a problem.

I've never been a big fan of loud pipes so my stock ones are fine by me.

There are alot of them going without bids on ebay so demand is way off here at the end of Summer. Dealers have been letting the '02s out the door for quite a bit less than in Spring, too.

·
Registered
906 Posts
1. If you are lookin for that *Harley* sound -fuhgedaboutit.
And if you get the Samsons you will void the warranty and also ruin your engine. Just have to wait until something else is available. Don't waste your money on the Squawking Sparrows if you wan't to be loud.
I wasn't too impressed with the sound of it at first but now I am used to it and I like riding a *sleeper* that would shred even the loudest Harley.
Remember, loud doesn't mean performance.

2. I have 7000 miles and there is NO trace of oil/grease or any other fluid on the engine. It is running like a CHAMP -it is a well made machine!

3. Would I buy it again? Fu(k yeah!!! I have no regrets paying what I did and would do it again and again.

·
Registered
82 Posts
1. I've got the Screamin' Eagle pipes and they sound great. Some one described it as sounding like a sport bike on steroids. At 3800 miles they sound a bit darker and phatter than when first installed. It's not the traditional sound though, it's the sound of the 21st century.
2. I'll be honest, even though the engine is running like a champ I've had a few minor problems; chrome belt guard rubbing the sprocket, erratic fuel gauge, tempermental fork lock. But this has in no way has dampened my enthusiasm or my enjoyment of this bike. I haven't even taken it back to the dealer for these issues because I don't want to give up even 1 day riding to get the repairs.
3. IN A NEW YORK MINUTE!!

·
Banned
490 Posts
V-Rod Ownership..

The V-Rod with the stock pipes has a sound I would describe as "sweet potato-potato"... It's not the rough rumble of earlier Harleys, but its not the sewing-machine whine of a stock Japanese bike either. The sound, and perhaps most importantly the tempo, is definitely Harley. You notice it most if you slightly "lug" the engine - say by accelerating from 30 to 40 in third gear. At very low speeds, and at idle, it is very quiet. If your goal is to annoy your neighbors, this is not the bike for you.

There were some crankshaft-related problems with the first 100 bikes built. These were all recalled, and the engines replaced under warranty. I've had no problems in my first 1600 miles. Everything I've read so far indicates that the Revolution engine is very well designed and engineered - the fact that it is watercooled most probably means that it will be far superior to air-cooled engines in the long haul, although it does mean you've got an additional set of things to go wrong (waterpump, radiator, hoses, fanmotor, etc.)

I would absolutely buy another one. I've never owned or even operated a vehicle that was so much fun; or that has generated so many positive comments and questions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts