V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Why do people buy these bikes only to sell them...especially that close to MSRP??? I just don't get it I guess, unless the guy is a $tealer.
Anyone have insight on this?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I E-mailed quite a few people that had V-Rod's on E-bay.

I was told by 2 out of 10 that they had 2 and had to sell one.

I guess they were going to try to make a killing, but apparrently just waited a little to long to sell. Why would anyone buy a low mileage 2002 for the same price that they could get a 2003, unless the bike was loaded.

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
There are a lot of H/D dealers that are selling V-Rods at or near msrp. However, the bike is a short supply in some areas. Perhaps, that would explain why some people in some parts of the country will pay e-bay prices.

One of our former members (who has become a convert to another brand) paid more--a lot more--than msrp for his bike. He then upgraded the bike. And decided he wanted to sell it because his interests changed. He's not been able to recoup his investment.

·
Registered
70 Posts
mgebbia said:
I E-mailed quite a few people that had V-Rod's on E-bay.

I was told by 2 out of 10 that they had 2 and had to sell one.

I guess they were going to try to make a killing, but apparrently just waited a little to long to sell. Why would anyone buy a low mileage 2002 for the same price that they could get a 2003, unless the bike was loaded.

Mike
I can't address the ebay sellers. What happened, at least with mine, is the dealership received four '02s in July they weren't expecting. The market for bikes is pretty much dead around here until Spring so they offered them a bit below retail and they all went in less than two days.

Prior to that they had shipped almost all of their V-Rods to customers out of state willing to pay the $24k they were asking.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I paid *alot* more than MSRP for my bike, but I certainly don't expect to recoup much when I sell it, if ever. I guess I just don't see the logic in going in the hole for almost $20k hoping that someone *might* buy it from me before I take it in the a$$. I can see how a dealer can get away with it, they have the mean$. But it's a helluva investment chance for the average joe.

Or is this a lucrative market I'm just not aware of??

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a friend who makes a living in high dollar paintings. 50K and UP. He is very knowledgeable and has exhaustive research capabilities. He MOSTLY makes money. His advise to anyone that’s getting into the business is “Never buy anything you don’t like or wouldn’t enjoy yourself. That way if it turns into a dog you won’t feel too bad.” He also says speculating is another word for gambling, He owns some dogs.
There was no way to research the market on the new V-ROD so you bought it because you liked it. You’re a winner. So if you speculated… their is another word.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts