V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone read the Donny Peterson (of Heavy Duty Cycles, www.heavydutycycles.com) article in the April 2002 issue of American Iron Magazine?

Peterson, a renowed bike expert, made a number of positive comments about the V-Rod. His most telling statement was that "...the V-Rod is one bridge to the future for Harley Davidson." Peterson began his remarks by saying "I believe future bikes will have to go the way of the V-Rod."

For those of you who now own a V-Rod, do your observations/experiences compare with Peterson's?

Since this issue of American Iron Magazine is the one distributed at all the Daytona area hotels, the V-Rod article should get a lot of reading in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I did read it, Jim. He made a lot of interesting points about the bike.
The compact packaging hit home for me already, as I'm trying to figure out a place to put a cigarette lighter on it, to run my cellphone/radar detector.
It's interesting to note that of all the articles I've read on the bike, the one thing that comes up in all is the price.
Does anyone really think HD will ever lower prices?

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree. I don't see H/D substantially lowering prices. But they may come out with models that are lower priced than the V-Rod.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Does anyone really think HD will ever lower prices?
When monkeys come flying out of my bu.....!
Sorry, lost control for a moment. Probably due to the fact I am just days away from writing the big check.

I read the article too in AI. Maybe it's a sign the old guard is starting to warm to the V-rod. There is still a ways to go amongst the traditionalist. I can even sense it in here.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
Q: How much less would a V-rod cost if harley decided to call it a Buell instead of a HD? A: A whole lot less

Q: How many would they sell if they had called it a Buell and priced it a lot lower? A: A whole lot less.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
logical

There is still a ways to go amongst the traditionalist. I can even sense it in here.
How much less would your Fat Boy be if it had Yamaha stamped on the engine covers instead of H-D?

It's all marketing. I'm sure the big *** 4 are taking a very close look at the V-rod and will have their version of it on the market by 03/04. My guess is a “J-rod” will be priced right around 10,999.00

Do I feel gouged? Sure, even though I paid msrp for mine. But that's the price of admission into the club. I chose to pay it over a cheaper imitation just like you all did. You can’t isolate the V-rod. It is no different than your Fat Boy in these terms.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
rhauft-

I did not mean to suggest that what is true for the V-rod is not true for my Fat Boy. I also paid MSRP and would have had to think long and hard about paying any more just out of principle.

I do however think that with the V-rod being a very non-traditional Harley, it makes for a much more interesting hypothetical example in my question. Clearly, putting the Harley logo on anything....from T-shirts to chrome covers to motorcycles....somewhat artificially inflates the price. Then again, as we all know and count on, it also helps these things hold value in a way that few logos can. It is no different than my Callaway golf clubs, which I also was willing to pay a little more for.

I like the v-rod....I like the V-rod....I like the V-rod.....It is very likely the shape of Harleys to come....I like the V-rod... I am far from a traditionalist...I like the V-rod.........................

1 - 10 of 10 Posts