V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just come back from 4 days riding with 2 great modifications. Thanks to Steve, I put Progressive shocks on the bike and changed the oil in the front shocks to 15 weight (H-D E oil I think). The ride really is MUCH better. Both sets of shocks now feel more solid and the rear end is lowered about an inch (just the right amount IMHO).

Also, every time I ride now with the V-Mod SEs I'm happier and happier with them. The sound is perfect . Every V-Rod owner who hears them is amazed. Not to mention the extra power. If you have a V-Rod with stock pipes call Steve and order a set of V-Mod SEs - NOW

I just love riding this bike.

·
Registered
113 Posts
bermuda, I can't wait to hear your v-mods! Only two weeks away....

You didn't change your pulley?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
G-Rod & Franko,
Yeah I just lowered the back. I thought about the front but it's not as easy to do and I was worried about hitting the pegs etc on the turns. I also was particularly unhappy about the way the back end looked. I always thought the back fender looked too high off the wheel. It looks much better now. I'll post a pic.

As for the pulley, no I didn't change it yet. I wanted to ride the bike again before deciding. I admit you have to use the clutch a bit especially 2 up but as soon as you get rolling the gearing is fine. I may get a 29t and try it out. I'm sure I could sell it if I didn't like it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Steve,
Yes I did. I had my daughter with me and we rode together quite a bit. I scraped the fender at first but there was absolutely no preloading. I couldn't find any instructions in the box so I didn't not what to do. I ended up just winding the top down about seven turns and it was perfect. The ride with the 440's is really alot better than the stock shocks.
Steve do you have a copy of the 440 instruction sheet?
Peter

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ThorBob,

I have the 12" 440s. I didn't know they had a 12.5". I only saw a 12" and a 13". As I understand it the 13" are heavy duty shocks for heavy riders or people mostly riding 2 up. I'm neither of those. Plus the 13" wouldn't have lowered the bike much, if at all.

Thanks for the PDF link.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
12", 12.5" & 13"

Yeah, I see now that they are available in 12.5" but I think my 12" are just fine. They don't bottom out and I don't feel like I'm going up hill. In fact I don't notice the bike being lower I just prefer the look and the ride is certainly more solid and smooth.

·
Registered
29 Posts
There is an alternative to replacing shocks. At MB Products in Colorado they will shorten your stock shocks for $69.00. And it is a one day turnaround and the $69.00 includes return postage. I had mine shortened to 11 7/8 inches. ( that was as far as you could go and still retain the desired absorbtion and clearance)
They can be seen at www.skullent.com. Link to MB from there. You can call for info as they are very curtious and informative. They also custom build shocks too.
Just thought I would pass this info on.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks like a pretty good alternative. However I think the PM shocks are a better quality and give a better ride.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't dispute that one bit. I just did not want to spend the $400.00 and not like the finished look. Now I see the stance difference I too will shop for better quality suspension myself. Oneday. Someday.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
TBAG809
Yes, they are SE V-Mods. I really like them. Great sound but not too load and plenty of power. Talk to Steve. He'll recommend the right thing for you depending on what kind of sound you want.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.