V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 V-Rod, Screaming Eagle air filter and stage 1 ECM.

Great sound. Fairly quiet idle, but she gets real loud once you move. It was shaking my eardrums with a full face helmet on at 80 mph. I took it to 110. Its louder then the Screaming Eagles or Supertrapp, cant speak for others, those are only ones I have had.

It runs like a dream and midrange appears to be a bit smoother then what I am used to. The bike appears to handle about the same.

The dyno test shows 110 rear wheel horsepower and 70 lbs of torque. I cant scan it in as I dont have a scanner, so you will have to take my word for it.

My digital camera takes small movies, so heres a clip of the bike starting and revved a few times. I think it sounds better under normal acceleration than it does revving it up, but should give you an idea.

If anyone likes, I can take a better movie, this was my first quick attempt at it. The camera vibrated and moved a bit, but you get the general idea from it.

Heres the movie, its only 408 Kb:

http://www.3dcards.com/v-mods.mpg

Bottom line, I love it.

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
I got the chance to swing by and see MajorAttitude's VMOD job today. It sounds very much like the 16. Ga. SE, perhaps a little louder, and a higher pitch at high rev. Best of all it retains the 2into1 look of the bike because it uses the stock pipes. Major , I should have had you make a copy of your dyno, i could have scanned it and emailed it for you. I have a MPEG movie of my 16. Ga. SE's if anyone wants to hear it, for comparison sake. I'll email it to you, because I don't have a personal web site to post it on. All in all a very nice redrod, hopefully we get a chance to ride again soon, preferrably before next May! Maybe we'll manage to pick up a couple of more cny-vrodders and we can stop some traffic!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Major, Great sound! I got real tired of the way to silent stock pipes.

Pete

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Love those V-Mods!

Major,
Congratulations, It sounds very familiar to me. Your quest has finally ended with the badest sounding bike on the road. Definitely sweet music. Enjoy!

·
World's Fastest V-roder
1,907 Posts
M/A,
Did you chassie dyno it with the SuperTrapps?Before you switched?70ft of TQ is a little low have you tried a retune?I made 83+rwtq with those"Ugly A$$" SuperTrapps!LOL....... 110 is pretty good on the RWHP.Glad you like your new pipes thats all that Matters!!!
P.S Wanna Race for Pink Slips?
Kaz..............

·
World's Fastest V-roder
1,907 Posts
against my 1000+rwhp turbochargered ,nitrous and Methanol injected Saleen Speedster any day!I will eat your Bike for Breakfast.V-rod for V-rod I'll race ya,and I wont use the NOS!LOL....
Rob your the best!I would like to race you on your Mille and me on my R on one of my local tracks .LV Motorspeedway has a couple really nice tracks if your into knee draggin at 140?
Kaz........

·
World's Fastest V-roder
1,907 Posts
against my 1000+rwhp turbochargered ,nitrous and Methanol injected Saleen Speedster any day!I will eat your Bike for Breakfast.V-rod for V-rod I'll race ya,and I wont use the NOS!LOL....
Rob your the best!I would like to race you on your Mille and me on my R on one of my local tracks .LV Motorspeedway has a couple really nice tracks if your into knee draggin at 140?
Kaz........

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, because as I said, regardless of their performance I could not live with the looks and sound, although I admit the sound wasnt too bad, just not what I was after. I assume I could tune it a bit better with a power commander, but wanted to try it without first.

·
World's Fastest V-roder
1,907 Posts
M/A,
I would think there's a few more Ponys and a couple more Pounds of TQ hiding in your tune up.Did you go Top-less?If not there's 2 rwhp!
Kaz...........

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, that was dynoed as I drive it. Not sure what else I can with it for now... I mean, shes pretty damn fast stock. Im watching to see what comes out next. There was some discussion of moving the air temperature sensor (I think its called that) but not sure if that affects performance, I know its been moved on all other V-rods now..

What are you working on?

SuperKaz said:
M/A,
I would think there's a few more Ponys and a couple more Pounds of TQ hiding in your tune up.Did you go Top-less?If not there's 2 rwhp!
Kaz...........

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
SuperKaz said:
Kaz........
Ok Kaz, how about a neutral location like Willow Springs IR in So Cal?

Mille vs. Saleen? I think my R will take your Stang in the corners and those long straights will detonate that nuclear reactor you call an engine:eek:

Vrod vs. Vrod? What would I need 2 Vrods for?:p Put a nicer looking pipe on it and then maybe I could find some room in my garage:rolleyes:

Aprilia vs. Ducati? A classic Italian battle. I've always wanted a Duc but that 748 mill is a tad weak for my taste. A 998R would be a fairer fight. A buddy of mine just wrote his off. Now he's shopping 999s. What do You think of the new Ducs? With all your toyz and bucks, I figured you'd have upgraded by now;)

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
majorattitude, i don't think the air sensor is an issue with the vmod because the pipes are still stock. I'm wondering about the powercommander too. You still have the se air filter, so i'm guessing the remap for the supertrapps, is still in place with the stock pipes back on. Perhaps choppersteve can sort out the remap question...?

·
Registered
265 Posts
On the ECM/Temp sensor Quesion: Its my position that if you have an '02 with the Temp. Sen. re-lo kit you can run stock ECM with the V-mod's [1]
If you have an '03 your ready to go. The Re-Map or a Powercommander is a must on any other mods, including airfilter[se] This will add some torque in the mid-range, but kill gas mileage! We will have some new maps shortly that are a little leaner. The Range on this 3.5 gal tank is not great, so gas mileage is an issue.

·
World's Fastest V-roder
1,907 Posts
Rob,
I have a 999R on order!My 748R is a pretty sweet track bike it only makes 112rwhp but only weights 372lbs!You SuperTrapp Bashers Kill me.The Saleen will be a SilverState /Top Speed Monster 210+.I do have a set of slick for the strip though .Should run 9's pretty easily.
Kaz.......

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Kaz,
I did the inaugural Silver State challenge back in 1990 in my 911RSR. That was the year some dumbass ran his Ferrari Testa Rosa with stock VR rated tires. When I went by the scene (at 180mph) it looked like a plane crash. Debris was spread out for 100s of yards. Those 150mph rated tires disintegrated at 185mph. His wife was killed. Speed kills baby.

Btw, I’m really disappointed in the new Duc 999. Looks like they took a 998 and beat it with an ugly stick. But that’s just IMHO;)

1 - 20 of 69 Posts