V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just orderd an 06 Fatboy and the dealer said the Harley Screaming Eagle pipes (not the slip on pipes) are made by V+H. I was looking to replace the stock pipes with V+H Big Shots. I'm a bit confused since the dealer is saying the Harley pipes sound the same as the V+H pipes and the Harley pipes would have the warranty since they are Harley parts. Are the Harley pipes made by V+H? If not, do the Harley pipes really sound and look the same as V+H pipes?

I'm real new to motorcycles and my bike won't be in until late Feb. so I have the time to do the research.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
If you have the time, get out there and look at as many bikes as you can. Take a camera with you, and pop some pics of what you like. Look at all the forum's picture galleries. Pop for the 15 bucks, and enjoy the gallery here, plus you will be thanking me for telling you to become a paying member. Best 15 bucks spent. Most people(me too) buy what the dealer suggests, because we want to spend another $500 dollars before the bike is a year old for new pipes, BECAUSE we see all the different pipes that are more radical. :confused: It really boils down to what you like. I suppose you will be getting the SE air cleaner, and then you will have to decide if you want the dealer ECM download, so then you will have to buy a DFO, SERT, or PCIII in order for the bike to run correctly. If I can suggest this - Find the pipes you like, and see what deal you can do with the dealer for the pipes, SE air cleaner, SERT, and dyno tune before delivery. You will have to bring the bike back for the dyno tune, when you have it broken in. But, I think people will agree, if you have the components installed before delivery, they will be covered under warranty, plus won't have to spend extra money changing out parts you don't like after six months. Ask the dealer if all will be covered under H-D warranty. Good luck, tell us what you decide. :welcome:

Thorns

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi,
I have been struggling to decide on these two also, I have Screamin II's slip on, and want either VH BSS or the SE 16 Gauge. This is what I found so far from all the good guys here.
Screamin eagle 16 G are made by VH, have a larger crossover chamber, which gives you supposely a little better performance than BSS, 16G sound more like a muscle car with glass packs, the VH BSS sound more like a drag car. Sound is different because of the larger crossover...
I have decided to go with the VH BSS with quiet baffels, suppose to take the bite out of sound. If you check through this forum, you will see a lot of good info on this subject, been asking abouot this for a while.

Good luck with the new bike, and my dealer stated as long as they put the STUFF on, they garentee the warrenty, who know about these [email protected]!#$

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
I've heard both side by side. I like the V&H ten times better. The huge crossover of the SE makes it sound exactly like a 2 into 1.
The V&H is louder and much more defined..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for information. I have spent a lot of time going through the streams of information and I think I have found almost everyone agrees the V+H pipes are high quality and is probably the way to go. I like the V+H Big Shots Staggered but I haven't really heard them in person yet. It looks like I'll be doing the Screaming Eagle air cleaner and the Power Commander. I didn't realize the bike was the down payment for the accessories!!!:yikes:
I've heard doing the stage-1 will add 5-7 horses but is it true that taking off the stock pipes and adding a new full set of pipes you actually lose 2-3 horses. For some reason I thought I read that in some of the other postings. I was going to just do the slip on's but the passenger foot pegs are right in the middle of the stock pipes so I was told to replace them with net new pipes, I kinda agree. I think the new pipes would look better but I was hoping to gain the additional horses.
Thanks for everyone's input. It helps to get the opinions of non-sales people!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes I have to agree with the last comment, about the passenger foot peg
between the pipes on the fatboy and Deuce . Its a real pain cleaning off
the rubber from the top pipe. I am in favour of the V & H pipes that run
below the passenger peg, they look and sound good to.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
I owned a set of Screamin' Eagle 16 gauge and now I have V&H Big Shots staggered. The 16 gauge have way to long of a cross over chamber and the sound is muffled like a set of slip ons.
I recommend the V&H Big Shots over the 16 gauge hands down. V&H all the way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts