V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any input would greatly be appreciated!! I am just about to that 1k mile mark with my 02' FXSTDI. I will be taking the bike to the dealer for it's 1k check. While doing this I am going to have a stage 1 breather & possibly a new set of pipes put on. I have a good friend in the biz and can get V&H or Sampson (full exhaust) at cost (just under $300 for either). A 2 into 1 system is not my cup of tea. I was thinking of either V&H Big Shots Staggered or the Sampson Short Slashers. Does anyone have any experience with either one of these exhaust on their TC88 - performance/sound/quality? I know the V&H have a cross-over chamber - does this make a huge difference? Also - I know the dealer will have to reflash the bike with either one of these set-ups (Stage 1 with either V&H or Sampson). Is there any advantage to going with a Power Commander if this is the only mod I am doing for now?

Thanks in advance!
Z

·
A$$HOLE!
467 Posts
Don't know anything about the Sampsons, first hand -- but I did read somewhere that some people were having problems with cracking. I have the V&H Straight Shots (no crossover) and they have about 6K miles on them. I put them on the bike when it was brand new along with the SE1 air cleaner and ECM flash. I recently added the PCIII and that helped with the power/torque according to the "seat-o-the-pants meter." I dynoed before the PC addition and will do so again soon to see the difference.

It is my understanding that you really need to do the ECM with the pipes and SE kit, but I am not sure. Then you can add the PC for more get up and go.I could be wrong --- maybe if someone has tried the SE, PC and pipes without the ECM they can speak up. I have had MANY people compliment me on the sound from the pipes and I love them too. The day I dynoed it at J&P's open house, I had 3 people who had been watching all day, tell me that they thought my bike sounded the best of any they heard -- of course it's all about personal opinion.

Good luck with the upgrades....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Tommyz123,

I also don't know anything about Samson exhaust. But I do have the SE air kit, Vance & Hines Longshots without baffles(Loud as F***), with the Power Commander IIIr, without the ECM flash upgrade and my 02 Heritage has some git up and go(over the stock setup). I have not had it Dyno'ed yet but as Hogzilla stated the seat-o-pants-meter registers more power and torque. I also want to know if anybody knows if the ECM reclibration is needed along with the PCIIIr.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Just ordered the Vance & Hines Staggered Big Shots for my 2003 Fatboy. Should have checked these post before I started a new thread :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys... The scoot is at the dealer as we speak to be reflashed with SE breather & V&H Big Shot staggered installed. I'll keep you up to date to let you know how it goes.

TAZ

·
Registered
276 Posts
BrownHornet said:
Tommyz123,

I also don't know anything about Samson exhaust. But I do have the SE air kit, Vance & Hines Longshots without baffles(Loud as F***), with the Power Commander IIIr, without the ECM flash upgrade and my 02 Heritage has some git up and go(over the stock setup). I have not had it Dyno'ed yet but as Hogzilla stated the seat-o-pants-meter registers more power and torque. I also want to know if anybody knows if the ECM reclibration is needed along with the PCIIIr.

According to the power commander boys, do the stage 1 ecu mod if you want to raise the rev limiter. Otherwise it's not needed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok guys, just got back from a 85 mile charity ride (Thin Blue Line in Michigan). The bike ran flawless. I ended up going with the SE stage 1 with the dealer flash. The pipes I ended up putting on are the V&H Big Shot Staggered. These things sound mean & loud! They really scream up through the r's when you twist the wick - increased midrange & top end. I'm very pleased with the set up.... (for now)

Thanks for the feedback!

TAZ

1 - 7 of 7 Posts