V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a set of V&H True Duals with Ovals and am a little concerned about the lack of much clearance on the left side of the primary and left fuse cover ('05 Road King FLHRI). Seems I have adjusted everything as much as possible - anyone else installed this combo and had the same experience?

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
No problems with my install. I have an 05 FLHRCI and installed them myself. Fits tight, but just right.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I suppose everything will be OK - only the clearance between the plastic side cover and the left downpipe is what I question - seemed close enough to cause heat to maybe distort the plastic (melt? - hope not) - thanks for the reply.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
I have installed a dozen of these pipes and not had a bad experiance yet. When i set the height so to speak, i lay my pinkie on the top of primary and then let the pipes sit on it. I tighten that down. There should be at least the same amount but probably more to the side cover. I have found taking the side cover off is a breeze with the V+H's as compared to stock. Also another tip, carefull where you place your clamps for the heatshield, you dont want it interfering with the sidecover when it comes off.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
I recently put a set on my '00. I can't get the side cover off without taking out the muffler support bolts and pulling the pipe away from the bike.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
xxxflhrci said:
I recently put a set on my '00. I can't get the side cover off without taking out the muffler support bolts and pulling the pipe away from the bike.
how much clearence is above the primary? Maybe a little too much? Just trying to think of something for you.....Which slip ons do you have?

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
TXCHOP said:
how much clearence is above the primary? Maybe a little too much? Just trying to think of something for you.....Which slip ons do you have?
1/4 inch or so. Samson slip-ons. BTW, mine aren't the first ones that I have heard of having fitment problems lately. Alledgedly they changed the pipes/bends a bit in the past year or so.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Always something.

I guess true duals have their issues:

V&H - tight cleareance on the primary

Rineharts - no clearence problem because the pipe sticks out further but the passenger has to worry about hitting with their boot.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
I have V&H true duels with the ovals and I don't have any problem taking the Fuse cover off. The pipe is about two inches away from the plastic cover (this is including the divot in the cover), and almost an inch away from the primary cover.

Tried adjusting the T-bar?

This question might not apply, but...

Did you tighten the header connections last?

If you can stand not having the bike to ride for a while, maybe get in touch with V&H and tell them the issue. Maybe the pipes weren't bent right?

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
On mine when I had the V&H Basics (4") on with SE gaskets they were tight, but had clearance.
Went to Samson Rolled Thunders (3") w/ Rinehart gaskets, and I had to loosen the muffler mounts to get the cover off.

Ground the tapered end of the bottom t!t back to where the angled ribs start and radiused it, now no problem. Be careful of the heat shield clamp orientation there by the cover as well.

If you call V&H, they'll be happy to tell you that they designed them so they would be that close to the cover.

HTH,

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Czar speak with forked tongue.

The pipe is a little over an inch away from the plastic cover and is a little over half an inch from the primary.

But I still can get the cover off/on without any problem.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
just do not take the cover off when the pipe is hot. Sure to melt and burn your hand.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Retired_Ted said:
I just installed a set of V&H True Duals with Ovals and am a little concerned about the lack of much clearance on the left side of the primary and left fuse cover ('05 Road King FLHRI). Seems I have adjusted everything as much as possible - anyone else installed this combo and had the same experience?
I just went through that problem. I had an independent mechanic install V&H Ovals and true duals. The pipe on the left side was so close to the side cover I could not get it completely back on. I finally got the mechanic to adjust the pipe. It's still a very tight fit but at least I can get the side cover on properly. Just make sure while you are installing them that you make sure you have enough clearance before you tighten everything up.

eddie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts