V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious what everyone's opinion is on the performance and sound of each. I want a loud exhaust and by listening to their website the short shots seem to be much louder with a more hot rod sound. My dealer said the bike won't run nearly as well with the short shots though because there isn't enough backpressure. Is this true? I'd rather go with the short shots if peformance is the close to the same and get the hot rod sound and save $300.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Basic said:
I'm just curious what everyone's opinion is on the performance and sound of each. I want a loud exhaust and by listening to their website the short shots seem to be much louder with a more hot rod sound. My dealer said the bike won't run nearly as well with the short shots though because there isn't enough backpressure. Is this true? I'd rather go with the short shots if peformance is the close to the same and get the hot rod sound and save $300.
You can't beat a 2 in to 1 exhaust for power enhancement. But I didn't like those and put on a Big Radius on my '01 FXDWG. I love the sound and the looks. I noticed no reduction in power from the stage 1 slip on slash cuts that I had before, but the decible level definately increased. I think I have to agree with the dealer, in that the shortys will cost you power for the reason that he cited. I don't know if you'd notice it in your butt or not, but when I did my BR V&H's, I didn't care about that. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Basic said:
No. The performance is not close. The SS suck for making power.

·
Dog on a Hog
195 Posts
BS Staggard

If you like the shorter pipes but don't want to loose power, look at the Big Shots - the "power chamber" gives them the benifits of the 2-1 - I put them on with the Stage 2 (95 w/cams). The power and sound is great. No, this isn't a V&H paid advertisement..:chopper:

·
Registered
693 Posts
I actually wound up picking up the Pythons from a local distributor (thanks Phreak!). The guy at the distributor also said that the Short Shots will rob the engine of power. At first I thought that was BS, but now that I read this thread, I'm starting to think that the guy might have been right. I will hopefully have my bike back sometime this week. I'll let you know how they sound if you're interested.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great info, thanks guys. So power and sound on the BS and BR should be pretty much the same then? These are going on a Street Bob along with a ton other aftermarket parts. I think the drag look of the BS will better fit the style of the bike I'm building...I'm going for a new school bobber look; everything unnecessary stripped off with cleaned up BDL controls, black bars, black lowers, black fender struts, new black hub/outer 80 spoke 18 rear (180 tire) and 21 front, etc. The Big Radius may be too bling looking I'm afraid! They are great looking pipes though.

·
Banned
154 Posts
I like the Big Shots on a Street Bob. I like it so much, I put them on my own. Good sound, good performance. You may want to consider getting the quieter baffles for them. Doesn't decrease the decibels much, and supposed to add torque.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just talked to V&H and this is the scoop they gave me:

Short Shots: 6-7 hp. and 102 db approx.
Big Shots: 10-11 hp. and 106 db approx.
Big Radius: 6-7 hp. and 104-107 db approx.

Does this sound right? If so the big radius is definatley out since it's the most expensive with the same hp gain as the SS. Would a Stage 1 with Hypercharger and Short Shots be a noticable differenence over stock? I didn't think the BS's were as long as they were after seeing the pic. They look good still though. I just really like the look (and price) of the SS's. Can't tell much on sound between the SS and BS through the website...don't sound a whole lot different to me.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Basic, are you totally opposed to any other manufacturer of pipe on your bike besides V&H? As mentioned, I got the Python staggered dual pipes and just had them installed on my bike. My dealer actually called earlier to said my bike is all set to go! :) The service guy there said that the shorts will rob the engine of power which matches up with what the guy where I got my pipes said. I would think that if 2 different folks from 2 different shops are saying the same thing about a product that it is most likely true.

The guy also said that the Pythons are really loud (which I wanted) and look really good on the bike. I will be paying the bill this Saturday and the dealer will drop the bike off. I will be sure to take photos and to post them here.

Just something to think about.

·
Banned
154 Posts
Basic said:

Does this sound right? If so the big radius is definatley out since it's the most expensive with the same hp gain as the SS. Would a Stage 1 with Hypercharger and Short Shots be a noticable differenence over stock? I didn't think the BS's were as long as they were after seeing the pic. They look good still though. I just really like the look (and price) of the SS's. Can't tell much on sound between the SS and BS through the website...don't sound a whole lot different to me.
It'll be louder. That's about it. The Hypercharger doesn't add a whole lot performance wise. Looks only ^rolleyez^ but it is a functional stage 1 AC.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
No, I'm open to any good performing/good looking pipe for my bike. I heard that the Python was made by V&H...is that correct or was I misinformed? Are your staggered duals the same length as the V&H Big Shots? I'd be very interested to see what they look like and what you think about the sound and power. All of the other parts for my bike are on the way so I need to get the pipes figured out so I can be riding the first of March if we have any warm days.

About the Hypercharger...the HD dealer said this would be one of the best aftermarket AC to put on it. What would be a better option (if any) for a stage 1? I want something agressive looking, nothing stock. Thanks for all the help and insight guys!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Basic said:

Dude. Lets try this again.

1. Would a Hypercharger, Stage 1, and SS pipes be a noticeable difference over stock? Yes. Because ANYTHING that helps it breathe is a noticeable difference over stock due to it being very restricted off the show-floor.

2. Are the short-shots the least expensive? Yes

3. Are they one of the worst pipes out there for making power? Yes.

4. Would you gain 6-7 HP & TQ over stock? Yes.

5. Could you double that with a better pipe? Yes.

If you are set on the LOOKS of the short-shots and that is most important TO YOU in your build - then get them. V&H uses quality materials in their pipes and they will look great for years. It sounds to me like you are pretty set on their look and were looking for someone to simply validate that choice here. And they are the least expensive to-boot.

If you want anyone to say that they make any kind of power (when compared to other pipes on the same Stage 1 build) then you're not gonna get it here it bro.

I too like the stubby-pipe look on certain bikes but would go with a pipe like the Bassani Pro-Streets and pay the $200 - 300 more because I am concerned with the most power to go with the looks - which OVERRIDES price in the long run. Perhaps it is not as big a deal to you. Then get the Short-Shots.

Good luck on your decision. Post up in the intro section so we know who the fuk you are. And post of pick of your ride and your opinions on whatever pipes you decide on. :beer4u:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Looks alone aren't it...I am looking for performance too. I just hear different things all over, some friends who ride have told me that there is little difference between the SS and BS, the dealer and this forum obviously feel other wise. If a BS (or similar) is going to really give me twice the power than I will definately go that route. I've dumped an extra $4K or so into the bike already so $300 is not a huge deal if it is indeed that significant of a difference. When I asked about pipes the dealer really steered me toward V&H but I checked out those Bassani Pro-Streets just now and they look killer...short and mean. And if they have the power the V&H BS does than I'm going to look into prices/availability on them as well. I really do appreciate the insight here and will get an intro up. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Basic said:
Looks alone aren't it...I am looking for performance too. I just hear different things all over, some friends who ride have told me that there is little difference between the SS and BS, the dealer and this forum obviously feel other wise. Thanks guys.
Dyno's don't lie when the methodology and atmospheric conditions are similar and adhered to. Especially lots of bikes ran on the same dyno. The Pro-Streets are gonna make at least as much (often a little more) than the Big-Shots and both will kick the sh!t out of the SS. They are loud as hell though (where the hell is Ozzie these days anyway:wavey: ) so know that up front. I think they look really good on many rides and based on everything you are looking for here (decent power from a short set of duals) sound like one logical choice. :chopper:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Loud is what I want!! I'm basically taking a stock Bob as far as I can from stock looks wise (within reason) and I want a good performing pipe that will look killer on a custom. The Pro-Streets are pretty much what I'm looking for. I'll try to get some coming...hopefully lead times won't be too long since the 06's are so new. Thanks for the help Fire4. I'll get up some pics of the bike all tricked out when it's done the first of next month.

Oh, and while I'm at it is there going to be anything better than that Hypercharger for the stage 1 or does it basically just come down to the air cleaner itself? I ordered the Hypercharger but can always cancel the order or just return it if something else will be better performing. I don't plan on anything other than the Stage 1 for engine mods.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Basic said:
Loud is what I want!! I'm basically taking a stock Bob as far as I can from stock looks wise (within reason) and I want a good performing pipe that will look killer on a custom. The Pro-Streets are pretty much what I'm looking for. I'll try to get some coming...hopefully lead times won't be too long since the 06's are so new. Thanks for the help Fire4. I'll get up some pics of the bike all tricked out when it's done the first of next month.

Oh, and while I'm at it is there going to be anything better than that Hypercharger for the stage 1 or does it basically just come down to the air cleaner itself? I ordered the Hypercharger but can always cancel the order or just return it if something else will be better performing. I don't plan on anything other than the Stage 1 for engine mods.
The hypercharger adds a "hot rod" look to the air cleaner but I have not found it to make any more actual power than any reasonable alternative such as the Ness Big-Sucker or a K&N filter and backing plate. This is especially true on the 88" bore, cams, and heads that are not going to be able to take in the same amount of air as a big bore with higher lift, longer duration cams, free-flowing heads, etc. As long as you open up the restrictive stock setup you will complete that essential component of your Stage 1.

·
Iron Butt, SS2000
3,399 Posts
If you install the Hypercharger you WILL get better power (than stock) and a conversation piece too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I'll stick with it then. I like the look and didn't pay much more than the Ness Big Sucker setup. Hopefully it all comes together in time for spring.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts