V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
V&H Quiet baffles compared to the stock baffles in the Big Shot Staggered pipes.

1) How much quieter?
2) Does the bike still sound "good"?
3) Any performance differences?

Alos, has anybody packed rthe stock baffles with fibergalss?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
I put em on my last bike and I thought it was a big improvement over the stock ones that came on my Big Shot Staggered. Lower deeper tone, not quite as offensive but still loud . They say they improve low end torque but I didn't notice any difference. I highly recommend them.

·
Enjoy The Silence
158 Posts
I changed out the stock baffles for the quiet baffles on my Heritage. Now the sound isn't so high pitched and a nice lower rumble. I don't think I'll ever go back to stock baffles.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Nice Cyclespot post.

Recently installed the quiet baffles. It is slighty quieter, sound is good, and a little extra back pressure bumps the performance slightly (seat of pants).

Preceding noted, I installed these baffles after a recent 95" build. With the TC88 the exhaust note was big and belchy. With the 95" the BSS's had a louder and higher pitched crackle to them. A harshness. Some like this. My wife did not, and I'm of the low, mellow, and deep camp versus loud. Hearing good reports of the quiet baffles, they were placed. Can tell there is a more "muffling" and deepening of the exhaust, but some of the crackle is still there. During this break-in time going to decide if I'm staying with the quiet baffles or look to a pipe like the V&H ProPipe HS... quieter and lower yet, with a little more performance. Do like the look of the BBS's.

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the GREAT responses, very informative. I'll order a set and give them a try. They sound like just what the Dr. ordered........

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got 'em ordered. I'll report back after they arrive and I install them. :beer:

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Man, I must have been the only guy in the world that didn't like the quiet baffles, they were to quiet for me, also seemed to hurt my bottom end, rode two miles and pulled them out and sold them for $25.
That was when I had my Heritage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went the other way. I thought I read somewhere that the stock baffels were the same as the quiet baffels? I pulled mine out and installed Thunder Monsters. I love the sound and did get a performance boost.

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, the quiet baffles are completely different. I was going to wrap the original baffles, but the design doesn't allow it. The quiet baffles can be modified for more volume it appears, simply by drilling the ends. The fiberglass wrap should still help tone down the high frequencies. At least this is my guess from looking at the pictures of them. I'll let you all know what I think of them in a week or so.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
I just installed the quiet baffles in my pipes. 2005 Annv. Fatboy (factory 95ci) the engine is stock except for the BSS and I replaced the stock A/C (comes with a SE A/C) with the K& N replacement. Running stock MAP.

When I had the BSS installed they replaced the SE ll Slip On that I had put on at 500 miles. I had the BSS put on at the Dealer at the 5000 mile service because I liked the look beter than the Shotgun pipes. The dealer checked the A/F and test rode it and said I did not need to MAP the ECM. When I rode home (65miles) I felt that it ran as good as before with the SE, just a lot louder and higher pitched. No popping on decel unless you downshift hard at near rev limit and then only slight. I have ridden about 1000 miles with the BSS and really like the look and was OK with the sound. But after reading all the posts on this forum and others about the Quiet baffles I decided to give them a try. I ordered them Two days ago from Cycle Spot in AZ and got them today. Just installed them and got back from a 40 mile ride. I LOVE THEM ! better sound, deeper. No popping on decell at all. The bike runs better than I remember it everr running. A little quieter overall , but still plenty loud if you crank it up. I highly reccommend them.

Xaran

·
Registered
204 Posts
My winter , spring plan is to replace the Screamin II's slip ons with the V&H BSS, sounds like I might throw the quiet baff in. I really like the way the BSS look, would like to go louder than what the slip ons have, but also not to loud where i have to baby the thing,

thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Big shots

I have the SE II's on my Heritage and have heard the Big shot staggards on another Heritage. My SE II's arent quite loud enough for me. I had the SE II slip ons installed along with a K&N filter kit and carb dynojet. My question is, would I have to rejet again for the Big shots? I like the sound of the Big shots around town, how are they on a long highway trip?

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, they arrived last week, installation was quick and painless. My baffle screws are good quality allen heads from the factory, and are not covered by the heat shields. Sound is exactly as others here have stated. For me, they are a good choice. Thanks to all that responded.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts