V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Passin' through
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a pair of V&H Ovals for my RK. I've emailed their sales/tech support :whatever: but can't get an answer to this question,
Will the Ovals receive different baffles, including "quiet" baffles?

Related question, anybody know how many decibels the ovals and/or quiet baffles put out?

Thanks for any feedback.
Flashkev

·
Registered
362 Posts
I am running the V&H Ovals with the dual headers on my 05 Ultra and was worried about how they would sound. There is no problem. I can easily hear the radio at 70+, still hear the OL at any speed. (great Harley sound)
You could remove the baffles, rap them with fiberglass cloth, “muffler cloth” (J&P, PartsDirect, etc. exhaust section lists it.)
Kenny

·
Passin' through
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kenny, did you notice how your V&H ovals compare in looks to the S&S stainless performance ovals? From a very limited number of photos I found, the SPOs have 4 screws visible from the a$$ end which hold the baffles in. I like what I've read about the quality of V&H but also like the thought of having a choice of baffles with the S&S SPOs... UNLESS the SPOs look like a bunch of parts cobbled together.
Thoughts?
Flashkev

·
Registered
362 Posts
I don’t have any experience with the S&S stainless performance ovals?
I, and I do say I, know of no replacement baffles for the Ovals. That is why I suggest that you might “Rap the baffles” to quiet them even more if you choose. There is only one screw, on the side toward the bike, holding the baffles in on the Ovals. I understand that $$$ play a big role in any discussion.
As you read the “Exhaust Discussions forum”, you will see that quite a few people are using these Ovals with little to no complaints on quality and finish.
As you are not a “Premium Member” you are unable to see the pictures that are posted in the forums. Suggest that you join, as there is a lot of information that you are going to want as you add more to your bike. Like what changes have others done to theirs, what they look like, and “how to” pictures.
Your bike / motor / breaks /etc. are all systems, that have been engineered to work together. A change to one component will affect the entire “system”. ie, changing the exhaust (to get the most for you money and performance from your bike) you will need to change the Air Filter and the carburetor jetting / EFI mapping. Some changes made in stages (pieces at a time) can effect, and is damage, your bike. You need to keep in mind what you final goal is for performance and looks. You want to make these changes / additions ($$$) in a manner that maximizes your efforts, $$$$ and performance.
Hope this helps.

Kenny

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
as long as the baffles are removable,

you can add baffles to control the loudness.

you can weld them on, take them off, but mostly you are on your own to shop for baffles that will fit within the confines of the pipes.

a pipe with a removable baffle will allow you to tune/grow with your other mods as Kenny mentioned.

even the V&H Pro Pipe needs a hose clamp around a few rows of baffles to tune out a dip in low RPM torque.

welcome - keep reading!

·
Passin' through
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the feedback. BTW, I just forked over my son's allowance to join this forum... He won't miss it, he'll just drink my beer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts