V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, been doing alot of research and reading all the posts I can find for several months now, trying to decide what pipes will work/sound best for my taste. I currently have SEII slipons w/o baffles (very loud ) which I like except for a slight chirp like sound that I do not like. Seems like Thunderheaders are the way to go for performance but don't care for the way they look and I want loud over performance. Always loved the sound of loud pipes. Been leaning heavy towards V&H big shots , long shots but a little expensive but if that is the way I decide to go oh well its for my baby and she worth it. But looking at drag pipes (way cheaper) and of course LOUD might be the way for me to go.
So bottom line here is if I get V&H pipes and of course I'll remove the baffles will this make the pipes basicly expensive drag pipes ,so far the best I can tell ,yes it will. I was hoping someone would have comments/experence with this choice I'm facing. Is my line of thought on these pipes(V&H w/o baffles vs. drag pipes) correct?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have no advice to offer, but I feel your pain. I love drag pipe sound and have run them off and on over the years, but they "drag" down performance, on my bike anyway. When I want loud (certain years) I run drags, when I want more seat of the pants action I put on my RevTechs. The Revs are plenty loud when I get on them, but are quiet otherwise, with a throaty exhaust note. Not a bad thing, unless I want to be loud all the time.

OK, maybe I do have an opinion on your question. I would not buy expensive baffled pipes to only wind up removing the baffles. Unless the look of a particular set of expensive pipes (anyshots) is the way you want to go.

Make sense? I don't know. I like classic looks and I'm cheap! :D

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
i have the v+h big shots with baffles in they sound real nice.:thumbsup: i like it real loud too but without the backpressure i think your giving up alot of power. try them with the baffles they probably will be loud enough for ya:D
good luck

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
You want loud and performance too?

The best I've found is the Bassani Pro Streets. Great LOUD sound and you get torque and hp too!

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
any pic's of those Bassanis on your bike?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thundermonster

Buy the drag pipes and install a thundermonster. They are great. Call and talk to Jim at www.bigcitythunder.com. He will help you out. I put a set on my Ultra and I love the sound and performance

Deac

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Those Bassanis are hot, but I doubt i'd get them out of respect for my passenger. I think where the end's of the pipes are at would put that exhaust and noise to close to them/her. To bad there not a little longer.. 40" atleast..

The fxdwg i'm trading for has a set of V&H straightshots staggered, I think. They are V&H staggereds but i'm actually not 100% certain of them being straightshots. I will know later.. Anyway, the sound and performance was not what I expected from a set of V&H. My RoadKing with Kerkers sounds much better imho. I will be changing those out relatively soon. So, I agree with the above poster. Get a set of drag pipes and install the Thunder Monsters, or get a set of the A/R pipes. Both will save you money and with the A/R pipes, you will benefit from the HP and TQ increase as well....

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies. I like the drag pipe with thunder monsters idea think I'll give it a try.

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
Totenkopf said:
You want loud and performance too?

The best I've found is the Bassani Pro Streets. Great LOUD sound and you get torque and hp too!

How is it that drag pipes generally are said to bring performance down but Bassani Pro Streets add power? I like the Pro Streets myself. I might get a pair. But Id like to know first if they add performance or detract from it. I have a sotck 883 XL, 2005. It needs something to make it a bit cooler but I dont want to sacrifice the torque and HP I do have. Is there any reason to change jet needles simply because one replaced the exhaust system?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts