V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.....I am getting my 2003 Springer in October. I want to do some of my own work so I can get used to the bike. I am going with V/N long shots. Can I install them right away? Or should I wait until the break in period is over?
This will have a carburetor instead of the EFI. Should I then take the bike to HD mechanic to have the carb reworked?
Or is this something a novice can do?
Thanks in advance.
This forum has been very informative!

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Have a 01 night train, did the same thing about a year and a half ago. I went with v/h straght shots VERY EASY TO INSTALL, but the screaming eagle exhaust gaskets before you get home with your pipes though or you'll have to run back to the shop. I did the a/c breather kit and reworked the carb with the dynnojet kit along with the pipes in about 5 hours. very simple as long as you read everthing. get a owners manual too they are the bible when it comes to your bike You must have that to show you how to remove your old pipes, carb, a/c etc.....I use it almost everday. the whole chage is so simple and I had never done it before on a bike until I did this one. World of difference on my baby. IF you do the pipes you HAVE to REwork carb and get a/c breater kit or she won't run good at all. One thing I can't answer though is when you should do it. I did mine with about 15,000 miles on the bike ask hippo...

·
Registered
985 Posts
I installed the Longshots with 50 miles on the clock, I have a 02 FLSTFI.
The Longs are easy to install. Just keep all your original parts, that's all.It won't be a warranty issue unless something happens to cause the bike to run faulty and is the result of the pipes/rejet. (and has to be proven)
Worst case is you have to put everything back stock before you take it in if the scoot goes south..
I say go for it. Life is too short.

·
Registered
695 Posts
polar,
I was hoping I'd get my wide glide this month but I just left the stealer and they told me it'll probably be October. I've already ordered my longshots and plan to get them installed as soon as the bike comes in. I've already been told by many knowledgeable people that the carb work is a must when you change the pipes. I'm sure I could figure out how to do the carb work but I decided to let a professional take care of it. I'd feel pretty darn bad if I messed up something after waiting all this time for my bike to come in -- HA!
I was stuck there for awhile on what pipes I wanted. I liked both the bigshots and the longshots, then after looking at pics and different bikes I decided that the longshots look better (my opinion) on my bike.
I bet ya I get my bike before you do HA!
Good luck and let me know when your bike comes in. When did you order it?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey cox9000

Good luck on your delivery. Bets are on!
I actually ordered my bike last week. It was due to arrive in November. I was in the dealer over the weekend, and my sales rep said a guy who originally ordered a Springer last month changed his mind. He is now wants a Road King. Guess who is getting his bike? 30 days is a lot of time this time of year.
I just ordered my V/H Long shots from Cyborg today.
Best price on the net. $319.00
I say when the bike arrive, we ride.

·
Registered
695 Posts
polar,
Son of a bisket..........Mother fiddle flake.........Hot Damn..............How come I can't get that lucky? HA! HA!
I'm happy for you! "But", the bet's still on -- don't think you're gettin' out of it just because you got lucky. HA!
I ordered my bike on 3 June -- still waiting.
Ditto on the ride, let's do it!

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
How do you think I feel? My BigShots Long (Vance & Hines) were ordered three months ago (maybe two weeks ago if ya ask me) so I have my bike waiting at the shop for the pipes to arrive :confused:

You can never order your parts too early;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"You can never order your parts too early"

I agree....I am now searching for the perfect highway bar and some passenger floor boards. My wishful thinking is that they will call and say come on and get it.
I want every thing here waiting!

Cox, We have to think of the perfect wager.
In a way, I do feel a little lucky!

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Cox,

Where are you purchasing the bike from?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
JFScheck said:
How do you think I feel? My BigShots Long (Vance & Hines) were ordered three months ago (maybe two weeks ago if ya ask me) so I have my bike waiting at the shop for the pipes to arrive :confused:

You can never order your parts too early;)

You MUST have another bike to ride . Theres no way I could deal with my ride wating for a "add-on" part.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Especially when I can add the parts myself, including the exhaust (which might I add could have purchased cheaper via the Internet)...

So, why am I having the Stealer install this sh!t? Warrenty?:confused: :( :mad:

·
Registered
985 Posts
My dealer would have no dealing with anything other than SE.
That's what I was dealt , which is fine with me.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I need whole new pipes as I am installing passenger floor boards for the wife.:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts