V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Just bad
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently discovered that the Y-pipe on the rear cylinder of my 01 RC had a crack. To paraphrase a worn out credit card commercial...

Replacement Y-pipe from HD = $165 :mad:
V&H Long Shots complete = $345 :)
My stupid-ass grins when roaring thru underpasses and setting off car alarms = Priceless :D

The install was fairly easy. The old stock pipes and V&H slip-ons were a biatch to take apart. The only "surprise" with the installation was having to change out the factory transmission mount with the supplied mount. The mount attaches using the four bottom side case bolts. In order to gain access to all four you have to remove any chrome tranny covers on the rh side, the oil dipstick housing, and the clutch cable cover. Other than that just a little wrestling and cussing getting the new pipes in position, aligned, and installing the heat shields. I did have to trim my chrome tranny cover back about 1/2" to clear the new mount (it's wider than the factory mount).

The exhaust tone is not as deep as the stock exhaust w/ V&H slip-ons, but the Longshots more than make up with a more aggressive, balanced sound. Make no mistake - these pipes are clearly louder than the old setup, with a controlled throttle that is. Open it up and they bark like a Big Dog. My wife and I were out running some errands today and I pulled out of a parking lot kinda hard to beat oncoming traffic and two people on the sidewalk about tripped all over themselves turning around to see what was coming :D and no I wasn't on the sidewalk :).

Here's the photos in case you wondered how these pipes looked on a bagger. The left side looks a little naked with no pipe there, but the other side more than makes up for it :D

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thomas, looks great. Left side actually looks pretty good, nice "clean" look to it. Nice Ride!

Scott
03 RKC

1 - 2 of 2 Posts