V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, after playing my obsessive/compulsive version of musical pipes and finally getting the performance I wanted, I also ended up with about the best sound I've heard on a bagger to boot.

Don't know how these would sound on a stocker, but with the build in my sig they are just right. At cruise (even 80 MPH cruise) they are a mellow rumble in the background from the driver's seat. I've got Hog Tunes speakers and I don't even need to have them cranked to hear my tunes. I found myself turning them down a couple times this weekend, which is a first!
You whack it, though and there they are, singing the Harley song that we all love, without being tinny, blatty, or otherwise obnoxious. You know what your engine is doing. My low end remained unchanged over my other mufflers, but I gained 8 HP up top w/ the V&H Ovals, using the same headers.

NOTE: Do NOT use the SE exhaust gaskets on these. They tend to leak w/ the Dresser Duals. Use either stock or the ones that come w/ the Rinehart True Duals (if your tech has a drawer full for free :D).

Seems like a lot of folks are looking for a setup like this, so I thought I'd share my successes as well as the failures I've bored you all with for so long.
85 ft/lb of torque at the start of the dyno run (about 2100 RPM or so) with no appreciable dip, and HP doesn't level off until about 5700 RPM.

Maybe Trackstar55 will weigh in to give you his perspective just from a sound standpoint, since he put on some miles w/ me this weekend, and he was standing in the Cracker Barrel parking lot by the off-ramp when I came off the interstate. :D
BTW, he has Black Ceramic Bassani Pro Streets on his Train, and those suckers sound great even from the front!

I'm happy. :thumbsup:

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
Good news Mega. Glad everything worked out.:thumbsup: So is she performing like a 21G cam or a 37G? Would love to see they dyno map posted if you haven't done so already somewhere else. I'm still leaning towards a 21G in the far future, being that I don't do 100 mph as often as you do. :D Can't wait to hear this sound you're talking about. I'll be the judge of what sounds Harley and what don't. Hopefully they sound good from the front. Because that's where I'll be. :harhar:

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Darn. Just noticed I posted this in the wrong forum.
Mods, if you wanna move it, that'd be cool.

Thanks!

·
Liberal Slayer
212 Posts
I must say that Mega's set up is very strong. I wish I had the same set up, but I am close. The V&H pipes that he is running sound real good and look great to boot. They are not overbearing loud on crusie mode, but they sure have a great "HD" rumble when he rolls the throttle through the gears, or as he accelerated through turns/passing vehicles. Once he is set at his cruising speed, it is a pleasant softer sound that wont piss the guy off behind him LOL!

I was riding behind Mega for approx. 80 miles offset to the right and it does have that "Harley sound" when he got on it. As for the engine, it is very solid. A few times, he took off through the twisties and left me in the dust! I have a "95 as well with 37g cams (I am real happy too). I am running the stock '06 heads that flow better than stock "05 and earlier heads, but not even close to the SE heads that Mega has. Once I get the fuel injection tuned on the dyno for the 1k service, I should see a good pick up top end wise.

In summary, Mega's setup is a very solid build. I know he has had some real headaches going through this process, but based on what I saw riding with him, he has a real thoroughbred.

Oh ya, Mega, those speakers are tight, I could hear ya jammin' from the offramp while I was in the parking lot. LOL:thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts