V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my bike (2005 95ci Annv. Fat Boy) in the shop for the 5,000 mile service and they had a set of V&H Big Shot Stagered pipes on sale so I went ahead and had them installed on my bike.

At the time the Service mamager said that they would change the MAP as needed for the new pipes (I had SEII Slip On). And he said that the bike would run as well as it did with the SEII Slip On Mufflers.

I picked it up and I was told that they did not have to change the MAP, that the MAP that it came with is working OK for the new pipes. I have ridden it about 200 miles since I picked it up on Saturday and it seems to run great, pulls strong from an idle up, little to no popping on hard decel, no popping during normal riding.

Has anyone else had their pipes changed and not had to make any other changes to get it to run correctly?

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
V&h Bss

I have the same setup and bike. I'm still trying to decide what to do because the bike runs great as is with the stage 1 download. I have a power commander installed, but put a zero map in because it ran so well stock. I also bought a tfi to play with, but haven't put it on yet. I feel like i should do something to richen it up, but seat of the pants says other wise.

·
Premium Member
3,122 Posts
No surging at constant throttle position and no decel popping is obviously
a good sign. I would check your plugs, however. When I went from SE11's
to BSS I had my PC111 remapped and it ran much better.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
I don't usually post, but since I have the same bike, I thought I'd share what I've learned so far. I put the V&H Staggered pipes on after 500 mi on the new bike. It was pretty loud for me so I added the quiet baffles. I purchased the SE Race Tuner and recorded a lot of data. I found the set up MAP to be lean and the knock sensors retarding the advance under hard accell in a few cell areas in the MAP. I ended up making changes to most of the cell and the VE in a few areas. I haven't finished the tuning yet, but there is a significant improvement in popping and a little in accell response. The next area I'll work on is the decel enleanment to try to eliminate all popping on hard decel. I haven't determined yet whether the enleament is a function of throttle roll off bike decel, but that should be too hard to figure out. Once I've run all the parameters, I'll check on the dyno. Finding a shop that will let you "participate" in the dyno work has been or is difficult. All I've been able to find is a shop that will let me have all the data sets after each run. After the dyno work I'll post the MAP.

YF

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to everyone for the info. I'll wait to hear what you end up with on the SERT.

Xaran

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
a couple of weeks before I had all the engine done you see listed in my signature I installed a new set of ProPipes to the basic Fatboy 15th Anniversary engine set up. It sounded and ran fine, although a good SERT tuning probably would have added a little. I actually prefer the 2-1 ProPipe look as it opens up the rear triangle and shows off the extra chrome bits I have there - swing arm, wheels, brake caliper and bag mounting brackets and misc. nuts and bolts (the avatar pic still shows the old SEII pipes).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts