V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 Super Glide that I am going to Stage 1 next month. I have learned alot about exhaust here. From the threads here I have seen that the Big Shots are not a good performing pipe, but is it something that I will notice? I am mainly worried about the low to medium end as I do not race or see what my top speed is. I was considering the Big Shots, the HS pro pipe and Bassani Pro-Streets. Was going with the Bassani's but I have a dealer 20% off on VH exhausts coupon, so I am going with one or the other V&H.

I think that my first choice is the Big Shots, but am worried about the low to medium end of things. For the Pro HS pipe worried about it covering up the rear axle for not as easy rear tire removal. What are your guys thoughts?

LeavenworthJeff
05 FXDI

·
You don't say?
422 Posts
I ran both on a built 95" (heads, cams, 10.4:1 compression) and the ProPipe is a better performer down low. Even with the cross over, the BigShot Staggerds had a case of pipe dip down low.

·
Speed
105 Posts
Duoglide_62 said:
I ran both on a built 95" (heads, cams, 10.4:1 compression) and the ProPipe is a better performer down low. Even with the cross over, the BigShot Staggerds had a case of pipe dip down low.
Do you recall how much of a difference there was? Was the difference in HP or TQ or both?

Thx

KL

·
Speed
105 Posts
LeavenworthJeff said:
I have a 05 Super Glide that I am going to Stage 1 next month. I have learned alot about exhaust here. From the threads here I have seen that the Big Shots are not a good performing pipe, but is it something that I will notice? I am mainly worried about the low to medium end as I do not race or see what my top speed is. I was considering the Big Shots, the HS pro pipe and Bassani Pro-Streets. Was going with the Bassani's but I have a dealer 20% off on VH exhausts coupon, so I am going with one or the other V&H.

I think that my first choice is the Big Shots, but am worried about the low to medium end of things. For the Pro HS pipe worried about it covering up the rear axle for not as easy rear tire removal. What are your guys thoughts?

LeavenworthJeff
05 FXDI
For me, it is a looks thing. I much prefer the looks of the BSS so that is why I bought those as I am only at Stage 1. However, as time goes on I might choose to forgo looks for power so I am interested in the answer to this question as well.

If you change from BSS to ProPipe what is the expect HP or TQ increase at low to mid RPMs?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Have both pipes. One on a Softail, one on a Dyna. The V&H BS Staggereds are not a poor performing pipe. One of the best 2-2 pipes around. The sound is big with an air of authority. Unquestionably, they look better than the ProPipe HS. They do not offer quite the performance of the ProPipe HS, but the difference isn't that significant. The ProPipe has a luscious and deep exhaust note. One can tell it is a performance pipe seat of the pants. The looks have grown with me, but the still don't have the symmetrical of the Staggereds.

I lean towards the ProPipe, for the slight performance edge and I have a weakness for deep and low exhaust notes (versus loud and proud). But this is me.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Thanks for your in put sfarson.I spent last night reading every page of the exhaust archives in relation to this very topic because i had just ordered a set of the Python versions of the BSS and i also downloaded your clips and HD-lux's clip aswell.I think i will be happy with my choice.I also happen to like the propipe and a set may be on the cards one day.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
From what I have gathered, the V-H line of 2 into 2 are the worst performing pipes out there. Most dyno techs do not like them at all. That's good enough for me..
Big looks, great sound, fall on your face performance.
I would just keep asking questions to everybody, and you'll come up with a solution. Personally, the V-H pipes are not a consideration for me.

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
I would not say the V&H BSS are the worst peforming pipes out there, what I would say is that you will leave quite a bit on the table as compared to a 2to1, but what I understand you can gain some of it back using Big Shots Staggered with the ThunderMonster baffles(they are on my wish list). If it were me and looking for a 2 to 1 ( I did take a long look) I would get the FatCat from D&D.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
nhrafan55 said:
I would not say the V&H BSS are the worst peforming pipes out there, what I would say is that you will leave quite a bit on the table as compared to a 2to1, but what I understand you can gain some of it back using Big Shots Staggered with the ThunderMonster baffles(they are on my wish list). If it were me and looking for a 2 to 1 ( I did take a long look) I would get the FatCat from D&D.

There was a thread on another site where the Thundermonsters lost low end torque on a set of BSS pipes. I have a set of Thundermonsters for sale that fit V-H Big Radius.
First 50 bucks + shipping gets them. Never been installed.

·
Registered
96 Posts
comparison?

sfarson said:
Have both pipes. One on a Softail, one on a Dyna. The V&H BS Staggereds are not a poor performing pipe. One of the best 2-2 pipes around. The sound is big with an air of authority. Unquestionably, they look better than the ProPipe HS. They do not offer quite the performance of the ProPipe HS, but the difference isn't that significant. The ProPipe has a luscious and deep exhaust note. One can tell it is a performance pipe seat of the pants. The looks have grown with me, but the still don't have the symmetrical of the Staggereds.

I lean towards the ProPipe, for the slight performance edge and I have a weakness for deep and low exhaust notes (versus loud and proud). But this is me.
pull off the BS and put some cycle shacks on and your first run will show you how much low end your missing, very noticeable.

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
There is a guy here on the forum with a Deluxe that has the Fatcat 2:1 pipe. Looks fantastic on the bike. From what I've read it seems that pipe is a great performer as well.

·
Registered
725 Posts
65436 said:
pull off the BS and put some cycle shacks on and your first run will show you how much low end your missing, very noticeable.
Used to have Cycle Shacks on two different bikes and went to the BSS's with the crossover pipe (providing some of the 2-1 benefit) and I'll never go back to CS -- though they are a fine exhaust system.

·
Registered
96 Posts
sfarson said:
Used to have Cycle Shacks on two different bikes and went to the BSS's with the crossover pipe (providing some of the 2-1 benefit) and I'll never go back to CS -- though they are a fine exhaust system.
That is exactly how I feel about the BSS (w/crossover). I am looking at the Bassani or Fatcat for a 2-1 next.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
George C said:
There was a thread on another site where the Thundermonsters lost low end torque on a set of BSS pipes. I have a set of Thundermonsters for sale that fit V-H Big Radius.
First 50 bucks + shipping gets them. Never been installed.
George C, do you have have any dyno numbers from you Hooker pipes? How do they compare to your retired V&H Big Radius?

·
Registered
65 Posts
My bro has V&H Big Shots Staggerds on his 05 Wide Glide, and I can say from experience (I ran it down the drag strip several times) and from his last dyno sheet, that they perform GREAT!

They sound great, loud and getting louder, but power was improved from top to bottom - his dyno showed super-smooth curves, no dips anywhere.

His powertrain is fully stock except for the SE hi-flo air kit & air cleaner, the V&H BSS pipes, and a carb rejet from a guy who knows his ****. This is the best performing stage 1 twin-cam I have ever been on, with super-clean carbureation from idle to redline.

I would recommend V&H BSS to anyone! :bowdwn:

·
Registered
7 Posts
@gree: I can second that because he is talking about my bike!!! I noticed a huge difference going from stock to this set-up with no dips in the torque curve anywhere! I can post the Dyno-run sheet if someone can tell me how to do it.:chopper:

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
chas2379 said:
This is the dyno comparison V&H BSS vs Pro Pipe
95"
Stage 1 ECU
SE Air Cleaner
HTCC heads (non cnc)
HTCC Pistons
HTCC Throttle Body
WT 2G cams
USB PClll
The higher numbers (brown) are the BSS. The lower numbers (red) with the better curve is the Pro Pipe. Sorry I got the colors backward. I made a modified tunable baffle for the Pro Pipe and will have it dyno tuned. I will post the chart here.

That's good info Chas2379, it's nice to seem some measured numbers backing up gut feelings and seat of the pants performance tests. Please keep the dyno numbers if anyone else has this info.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
chas2379 said:
This is the dyno comparison V&H BSS vs Pro Pipe
95"
Stage 1 ECU
SE Air Cleaner
HTCC heads (non cnc)
HTCC Pistons
HTCC Throttle Body
WT 2G cams
USB PClll
The higher numbers (brown) are the BSS. The lower numbers (red) with the better curve is the Pro Pipe. Sorry I got the colors backward. I made a modified tunable baffle for the Pro Pipe and will have it dyno tuned. I will post the chart here.

At what RPM did you start charting at? It also looks like you made some marks on the graph at the point where the BSS TQ curve bagan the head north, at what rpm was this at?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts