V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '99 Softail Standard and want to possibly replace the stock pipes with the Vance and Hines Big Shot Shorties. I think these are very sharp looking and I heard they sound great. My only concern is I have only seen them in pictures on Fat Boys. The diameter is 2.5" will they look too big for the Standard? Has anyone seen them?

I am considering the Samson Big Gun Sawed Offs, as an alternative, because they are a little smaller in diameter. Any preferences?

·
Registered
40 Posts
hows it goin,my buddy has the v&h big shots (short )on his deuce ,carb'd.These pipes sound sick when he rolls off the gas.The finish is awesome on them good quality.I just bought the longshots for the fatboy two days ago.I didnt put them on yet but all along my ol lady and him kept tellin me to buy them from the begining.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, from what I have seen they are really sharp looking (finish wise). So how do they look ok on the duece, not too big? When you say "they sound sick when when he gives it throttle" is that sick in a good way or in a bad way?

I consider myself to be pretty handy but am a novice owner. Is it an easy do it yourself job?

Thanks for the input.

:D

S

·
0 Posts
V&H "BIG SHOTS"?-------DISAGREE WHOLEHEARTEDLY WITH THE FIRST RESPONSE YOU GOT.....I HAVE A 99 SOFTAIL CUSTOM. BOUGHT THE V&H BIG SHOTS MYSELF........LOOK AWSOME, GREAT FINISH, AND SOUND FANTASTIC.....I DO ADMIT THAT THEY ARE A LITTLE QUITE @ IDLE. BUT ONLY @ IDLE...GO TO WWW.VANCEANDHINES.COM IF YOU WANT TO GET A LOOK @ THEM....THEY DON'T COME IN "SHORTY" VERSION...THEY ARE SLIGHTLY LONGER...BETTER LOOK IN MY OPINION...

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
mcguirefxst,

I too am interested in the V&H Big Shots. I've visited the V&H web site and see Big Shots and Short Shots, but no Big Shot Shorties. Can you clarify?

TIA,

wyodude

·
Registered
40 Posts
sounds sick in a good way the guy who disagrees with me is entitled to his opinion i thought they sounded good.by the way, i returned the longshots and bought the bigshots too.i'll let you know what i think of them on my bike when theyre installed ... just recovering from the flu, take care

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wyodude,

They are called Big Shot Shorts and they are a little longer than the Samson Shorties. I think it is a better look the shorties are a little too short.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I put the Big Shots on my FXSTB with the SE air kit and jets. Great sound off the line. They end up about 3" behind the rear foot rest. Very easy to put on also. Taking off the stock pipes took longer. Great finish and workmanship on these. Highly recommend V&H.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm looking at the Big Shots as well. Anybody have any experience or preference between the originals and the new staggered ones? Also, how hard is it to do the change yourself? Anything to look out for?

thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I finally decided on the Big Shots and they do not look too beefy for the Softail Std. They look and sound incredible! As the others said, they are a little quite at idle but that is actually better for when the g-friend is on back.

Brainsneeze,

The installation is cake. Just make sure you get new gaskets. The new staggered pipes have a "power chamber". This acts like a two-into-one pipe. The Big Shots that I have are not considered a performance pipe.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks mcquirefxst. I got to hear the new staggered at the shop. One word -OHMIGOD! They really do sound great. I'm heading back there tomorrow to bend the ear of the service guys there. I'm hoping to get a better understanding of the powercommander (my bike is EFI) and what other mods are needed to upgrade the exhaust. I'll write about anything that sounds useful...

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I'm also almost positive I'm going with the Big Shots Staggered "new for 2002", with the power chamber. and Billet Slash End Tips for my "03" FLSTCI, Any body know a good place to buy with reasonable prices? also have heard some where along the line that they are hard to get as everyone wants them! any input, would be great!

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
wyodude said:
mcguirefxst,

I too am interested in the V&H Big Shots. I've visited the V&H web site and see Big Shots and Short Shots, but no Big Shot Shorties. Can you clarify?

TIA,

wyodude
LOVE my BigShoots....

But, if I had a road king I would get the new Vance&Hines...

Classic Slip-ons You'll see the Vance & Hines' commitment to style, performance and quality the moment you install our new Classic Slip-ons. The Classics were designed and engineered for a substantial power increase, improved fuel economy and crisper throttle response. Painstaking care was used to achieve the perfect sound from your BigTwin; not too loud, definitely not to quiet. Coupled with the Vance & Hines Power Commander programmable ignition, you can expect an arm-stretching, 10 horsepower increase! Big power, superb style and easy installation, our new slip-on mufflers feature the highest quality fit and finish of anything made in America! Slash-cut or Straight, both designs include polished and triple-chromed billet aluminum end caps that have a unique, never-seen-before style. These slip-ons come complete with removable baffles and all necessary hardware to install in minutes.
Suggested Retail U.S. $ 469.00

·
Registered
49 Posts
Otterbob, I have got a set of hte Big Shots staggered on order for my 2003 FLSTCI. I will post a pic asap. Thing that sucks is they told me to expect them in DECEMBER!!!!! wtf? Oh well a good task for a cold winter day! As for a price my Dealership gave me 20% which was about $400. Dennis Kirk has them for just a bit more
ps love your otter pic!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts