V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Sub Par Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can you guys help me out?

I have a slight hesitation at light, steady throttle around 2700-3200 rpm that I think is being caused by a lean condition. I pulled my plugs today after riding for about 100 miles and the rear plug was a nice even tan, but the front plug was pretty much pure white. So I'm thinking that I need to fine tune the front cylinder a bit.

Other than the hesitation in that rpm range when just maintaining speed, the motor runs great. Pulls strong all the way through if I'm rapping through the gears. It's always run a little hot though, around 235-250F oil temp.

Can I safely just bump the VE table across the board in this rpm range for the front cylinder only without screwing up anything else? If so, how much would be a reasonable increment? I'm thinking maybe around 10% to start? Does it make sense to do this given what I've described?

This is for a Jim's 120" motor, SE 264 cams, 51mm HP Inc throttle body and manifold, with a SE AC and Zipper's upgraded K&N filter with a little more surface area than the standard SE filter, V&H ProPipe with two rows of holes in the standard baffle strapped up.

:thanks:

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Snaps said:
Can you guys help me out?

I have a slight hesitation at light, steady throttle around 2700-3200 rpm that I think is being caused by a lean condition. I pulled my plugs today after riding for about 100 miles and the rear plug was a nice even tan, but the front plug was pretty much pure white. So I'm thinking that I need to fine tune the front cylinder a bit.

Other than the hesitation in that rpm range when just maintaining speed, the motor runs great. Pulls strong all the way through if I'm rapping through the gears. It's always run a little hot though, around 235-250F oil temp.

Can I safely just bump the VE table across the board in this rpm range for the front cylinder only without screwing up anything else? If so, how much would be a reasonable increment? I'm thinking maybe around 10% to start? Does it make sense to do this given what I've described?

This is for a Jim's 120" motor, SE 264 cams, 51mm HP Inc throttle body and manifold, with a SE AC and Zipper's upgraded K&N filter with a little more surface area than the standard SE filter, V&H ProPipe with two rows of holes in the standard baffle strapped up.

:thanks:
Snaps: Not a SERT expert as some here are, but since you have a good idea where the hesitation is, my next step would be hook the laptop up and do a Data Recording for your particular rpm/throttle problem areas. Tons of info available including front and rear VE's.

In advanced mode, you can independently adjust the VE's and usually 5%-10% seems safe. Would also record some full throttle runs per the recommended instructions to check on the temps.

HTH's

:cheers:

·
Sub Par Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WVRDKING said:
Snaps: Not a SERT expert as some here are...
Thanks, WVRDKING. Since yours is the only response, that makes you the best SERT expert I've got.:thumbsup:

I keep forgetting about the data logging portion of the software. I guess I should try and get familiar with it as it seems like it's probably one of the best tools in the package.

Today, I just richened up the main fuel table in that range to see if it helped, which it did. So next will be to try and just fine tune the one cylinder.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts