V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you know, the 2002 FLHTC/I has an adapter in the radio for connecting a portable CD player. I picked up the correct connector at Radio Shack yesterday, plugged it in and it works fine. Now I just have to figure out the best way to mount or carry the portable CD player so it won't fall off, bounce around and skip, and is easy to change CDs. Anyone have ways that worked for them?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Kampnnut,
One of the Drag specialty catalogs has a billet bracket that will hold a portable cd player. it mounts on your handlebars (I'm sorry I don't have a url) but I did see it. If your cd player does not have a memory cache to prevent skipping, you may be in for some frustration. Personally I've been using my wifes MP3 player. It works great. I put the player in my vest pocket or tank bib

·
Registered
903 Posts
Mp3 is worth the price because it won't skip. I tried my CD player with the memory cache and the memory ran out and it stopped playing numerous times.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
I use a creative playstation MP3 player with a 6 gigabyte hard drive, that is about 100 cd's worth oh music. I also carry it in a jacket pocket or sometimes a fanny pack. MP3 is the way to go no matter which type.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Thealien,
Wow! That rocks! (literally) Tell me something though. When you're going down the road at 65mph can you tell the difference between a cassette tape and digital audio? I wonder if the 03 models with the in dash cd player run skip free?

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Here's another use for the CD jack: I sometimes like to use a portable CB radio. My CB radio has an earphone/speaker jack. I bought a cord from Radio Shack that will connect the CB earphone jack to the CD input jack. Then I have 40 watts of CB coming out of my Stereo speakers with volume control much easier to find than on the CB.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
No I can't tell but a tape only lasts 90-120 minutes tops my MP3 player lasts 6-8 hours on one set of rechargeable batteries and I carry a spare set. Iv'e had too many problems with tapes in the past. I'm sure the new CD players on the 2003 models run skip free, but you need to carry the CD's and change them every 45minutes to an hour. My MP3 player is about the size of 4 or 5 CD's and as I said my player holds about 100 CD's worth of music. There is a newer version of my player with a 20 gigabyte hard drive. My players website is http://www.nomadworld.com/

·
Registered
240 Posts
The alien,
You've just answered my next question. We have a sonic blue MP3 player with 64M of storage for roughly 3 hours of play (give or take an hour) It's pretty small but doesn't have nearly the horspower of yours.
Are you getting all of this Kampnnut?

Again...MORE valuable information!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sucking up all of this great information. I was shopping for MP3s yesterday. There are still questions I have sense I'm MP3 challenged. Sony has an MP3 player that has mini CD disk. I'm guessing that they might have a tendency to skip like any other CD player, but might be more convenient when changing the kind of music you want to hear. One model even has a DC adapter and wired remote. The other MP3s I looked at have internal memory of 128M with a slot for a chip. It is much smaller and I'm sure will not have a skipping problem. Both were $150. Decisions decisions.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just purchased a Sonic/blue Rio Riot this weekend for my bike. 20GB hard drive and will hold about 5,000 songs. That should get me across Texas before I run out of tunes. :D I downloaded a couple of CD's this afternoon and took it out to the bike and tried it out. Works great!
Purchsed at C. City and it was marked down $50 from the regular price.
Rechargeable lithium-ion batteries that last 10 hours per charge.
Might give this one a look.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm looking at Sony's mini-disk player MZ-N505. It has several nice bells and whistles to it. Anyone had any experience with it? I like the idea of changing disk but am not sure of its ability to withstand the road shock if mounted on the handle bars.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Kampnnut said:
As you know, the 2002 FLHTC/I has an adapter in the radio for connecting a portable CD player. I picked up the correct connector at Radio Shack yesterday, plugged it in and it works fine. Now I just have to figure out the best way to mount or carry the portable CD player so it won't fall off, bounce around and skip, and is easy to change CDs. Anyone have ways that worked for them?
do you a prt number for that cable

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought an MP3 player at Wal-Mart. It came with 128 mg of storage and an expansion slot. What a deal at $98. I love it!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Kampnnut - I have a Sony MZ-N505 MiniDisc player, and I use it while riding my EVO '98 FLHTC, which probably vibrates more than your bike if it's a TC88. I either keep it in a jacket pocket, fanny pack, or the optional belt clip holder which I purchased (about $15).

I have not been able to make it skip on the Harley! But, I don't know how well it would work mounted to the handlebars. I still am searching for the "perfect" place to mount it on the bike, where I can get to it easily.

If you do alot of long trips (as in days or weeks), I think the MiniDisc would be a good option since the discs are very small so you could bring along lots of pre-recorded music.

I also like the fact that it uses regular batteries rather than a built in rechargable, so if you run out of juice on the road you can just pop in a fresh cell.

I record from the optical output of my home CD changer which produces an excellent sound.

Hope that helped:D

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
I've been thinking on these line also, infact i just bought a rio so we'll see how that goes. I also thought about a NEO jukebox, I have one in my car, basically a 20GB hard drive, that stores 5000 mp3's or about 400 cd's. It's mounted in the rear hatch area, and plays through your exsisting radio on and unused freq. 89.1 . It's wireless so theres no need for a connection. Sounds every bit as good if not better than the monsoon system that's in the car, since it's mounted on rubber shock feet it has never skipped. I might look into installing one of these. just a small head unit that mounts on the dash and the player it self about 8x8 would fit nicely in the tour compartment

·
Registered
758 Posts
Mp3 players are the only way to go when you want to listen to what you want to program. Between it and satellite radio, I'll never have to listen to bad music again.

·
Registered
354 Posts
VAZHOG said:
http://www.dealtime.com/
go here and check out the pricesI have the mz-707 NO SKIP-OR MISS works great- Turn it and put in the lower pocket (01 Ultra) holds 5 CD in lp4 mode on one $2 disk .
Hey VAZHOG, you mean the fairing lower glove box, right? Do you pad the MiniDisc player with anything, or just throw it in there? Just curious about how much the glove boxes vibrate.....I have a '98 FLHTC and I have purchased the fairing lowers, but I do not have the glove boxes yet. But thinking about buying them for some extra storage. Thanks.

·
FLHTCUSE
526 Posts
Yes, I have the Lowers (Glove Box on both sides) and I just place it in there flat it only bounces when I hit a pot hole, But does not skip. Wouldn't hurt to put a pair of socks in there with it :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts