V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been considering the Buell Thunderstorm conversion for my 883. I think I have found a set of cylinders and pistons from a '00 for $250. I have also found some '99 Thunderstorm heads for an unknown price (hoping less than $300). All parts have about 5000 miles on them (less than my bike has now).
Are these good prices? Should I jump on this stuff while its available? Would you trust used parts from a Buell? Thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just my own experiences here...

I have an old shovel so sometimes I *have* to go with used parts rather than new. Technically there is nothing wrong with used equipment as long as you can be assured its in good shape. You say there was less than 5K miles on these parts, which should be fine, but is that really true? The pistons you can examine for wear and look at the skirts to make sure there are no tell-tale "sparkles" from metal from somwhere else in the engine getting embedded in the skirts (which will tear up your cylinder walls quick like). Checking the heads for warping or small cracks may not be possible -- a magnaflux test could tell you if there are cracks but unless you have a buddy that could do it for free, its not worth the cost.

So assuming you can't prove the quality of the parts, you have to ask yourself...do you feel lucky punk?

-Alijah

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Are you aware that it is very easy to make valve to vale contact on XL stlye heads?? incorrect cam timing can bend valves. 5k on heads is not much but then again did he over heat the motor?? Used parts are a gamble. Used pistons and cylinders I would never trust that they are the same pair. To easy to get cylinders her and there mis matched pistons. Any ways if you are serious about the rebuild , piston and cylinders will need to be mic'd while the cylinders are b0lted to torque plates. Valve springs tested and the seats inspected new seals at the time of inspection.

Not sureof your abiltly but you wil need some special tools for some of the testing. I guess if you like gambling but to be on the safe side figure out what a local shop would charge for the work and add that to the cost of the parts. I bet you can buy the kit cheaper from a dealer. We have a local dealer that does 25% of on cash sale once a month. That would put the kit at less than a 1000 dollars. you decide good luck

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Roll the dice is true but I feal heads that look good more than likely are good. Got to trust who the parts are comming from, if in dought dont get used parts, peace of mine can be priceless...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts