V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I made this a sticky for people to post their Used Oil Analysis reports.
Hope it's helpful in making up your mind. The options are endless and if you're new it's overwhelming.

Once again the auto 15-50 $22 a 5 qt jug came out good. Who needs the V-Twin on the bottle.

This will help tell you what the report means.
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/do-i-need-a-tbn.php

I removed the 04 Softail test because it really doesn't apply to my current bike.

My 09 Ultra. This oil was tortured by running at extreme heat for extended periods of time riding 2-up. 270*+ sometimes exceding 300*.
I didn't know about a TBN before but the one for the Ultra is very good!!

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I ran that oil in my 04 for 32,000 miles before I tore it down. When I did tear it down it looked like I was tearing down a brand new motor.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Good info, are you relieved that the Arizona heat is not doing your bike in?

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good info, are you relieved that the Arizona heat is not doing your bike in?
Yes!!!! The reason I sent the sample in.
I expected the oil to be way more broken down than it was.

Thanks Vindex good info. Have you sent oil samples in before?
Yes for my 04 Softail and my 07 Ford ranger.

I ran that oil in my 04 for 32,000 miles before I tore it down. When I did tear it down it looked like I was tearing down a brand new motor.
That's good to know.

Thank you for posting results
You're welcome.

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thank You Vinnie, for posting this, very interesting info. You certainly put that oil through it´s paces!
Cheers!
mike
Not a problem. Makes me feel at ease knowing it's good for extreme temperatures.

I really thought I would get at least some response from the people that have such a fit over putting auto oil in a motorcycle. Threads that mention using this oil get a lot of negatives from it will ruin the motor to I'm just cheap but it looks like it's ok to do so and save some $$$ by not buying into the V-Twin on the bottle and the cost that goes with it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The other thread kind of went it's own way.

Once again the auto 15-50 $22 a 5 qt jug came out good. Who needs the V-Twin on the bottle.

This will help tell you what the report means.
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/do-i-need-a-tbn.php

I removed the 04 Softail test because it really doesn't apply to my current bike.

My 09 Ultra. This oil was tortured by running at extreme heat for extended periods of time riding 2-up. 270*+ sometimes exceding 300*.
I didn't know about a TBN before but the one for the Ultra is very good!!

Thanks vindex for the info...fatty

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I found some on sale today and I was due for an oil change. So I will run it through the winter months. I went over the nuts and bolts while I was doing the oil and found a few loose. Perfect timing.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Thanks for the info.
I'm an avid Amsoil user and would like to see a response/evaluation from George.
These are all good reports and shows that you have several choices of oils to use. I had posted last year a few of the Amsoil reports at the 10,000 mile mark and the oil could have been used another year. the Amsoil reports did not suffer any lowering of the viscosity though. The elavated copper that the lab is talking about is nothing to worry about. With synthetics the copper is normally elavated, but when petroleum oil is used the copper does not show up until it is really wearing. In diesel engines using synthetic oil the copper will show high elevations that is being leached from the oil coolers, but this is not an indication of bearing wear. In my opinion when choosing an oil it comes down to how much over kill do you want and does one want longer service life and more riding time. We all have different motivations and concerns.
george

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
These are all good reports and shows that you have several choices of oils to use. I had posted last year a few of the Amsoil reports at the 10,000 mile mark and the oil could have been used another year. the Amsoil reports did not suffer any lowering of the viscosity though. The elavated copper that the lab is talking about is nothing to worry about. With synthetics the copper is normally elavated, but when petroleum oil is used the copper does not show up until it is really wearing. In diesel engines using synthetic oil the copper will show high elevations that is being leached from the oil coolers, but this is not an indication of bearing wear. In my opinion when choosing an oil it comes down to how much over kill do you want and does one want longer service life and more riding time. We all have different motivations and concerns.
george
Do you have any U.O.A. you could post?
My Softail had an oil cooler so the copper is
probably from that.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Do you have any U.O.A. you could post?
My Softail had an oil cooler so the copper is
probably from that.
I have many over the years, but they are back at my office in Florida and I am in Tennessee presently building my so called retirement home. I have posted some in the past so maybe you can do a search. What I have found to be consistant is most oils used in HD's shear back the viscosity after a couple thousand miles, but this does not seem to affect the wear at all and most that are using synthetic, even syn 3 will have higher copper levels. It seems that synthetics show these elevated levels possibly through their inherent cleaning or detergent ability over dino oils.
george

·
Registered
0 Posts
These are all good reports and shows that you have several choices of oils to use. <> In my opinion when choosing an oil it comes down to how much over kill do you want and does one want longer service life and more riding time. We all have different motivations and concerns.
george
@gree:

You know; after all the mile long oil discussions and debates; I think this is what it all boils down to. I´ve been on two wheels since´77, and IMHO, we´ve never had oils that are as good as the ones we have today. We´ve never had it so good!

Is this the end of all oil debates? I hope not; sometimes it´s fun...:spank:

mike

1 - 20 of 134 Posts