V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cruise ebay weekly and over the past couple years, there used to be just over a 1000 Harleys on ebay. Honda usually ran a close second with just at a 1000.

I just noticed today that there are 2036 Harley auctions and 1605 Honda auctions. I've seen some ridiculous prices out there for used Harleys.

I guess its either hard times or too many people liking the idea of owning a Harley but not riding them.

That is my contribution for the day. {salute(

·
Make it Run, Then Ride !!
87 Posts
thatoldbike said:
I just noticed today that there are 2036 Harley auctions and 1605 Honda auctions. That is my contribution for the day. {salute(
Oldbike,

I do believe that the bloom is finally off this rose. From where I stand, thank [email protected]! Hopefully, we'll go back to the old days. Fewer bikes, more respect, better brotherhood and maybe, just maybe, fewer Harley dealers. Harley dealers that have to adhere to providing decent customer service and much lower profit margins.

That's my contribution for the day...

·
Registered
901 Posts
Definitely more bikes available - but I think part of it may just be cyclical.
Lots of bikes for sale at the beginning of Spring and end of Summer.
Good time to pick up another bike?

This is not my only contribution for the day

·
Free agent
795 Posts
Might it be...

I'm certain that there are many riders who just figured out that :
A) they don't have anyone to ride with so...why own one
B) The spouse is ragging on them about buying the stupid thing to begin with.
C) Harley clothes just don't fit the way they are supposed to.
D) The guy has pissed off the Harley dealer so bad that he doesn't have anywhere to take his bike for service.
E) He doesn't look as sexy as he thought he would in leather chaps w/fringe.
F) But the real reason might be....High mortgage payments due to excessive taxes, homeowners insurance and just the overall general economy in many areas of the country. They are having some real issues with cut backs and reduction of services due to the housing market. I'm in the automotive business and I feel the strain myself due to the cut backs of others. All of this crap rolls downhill eventually.

·
Registered
449 Posts
DeathTrap124 said:
Oldbike,

I do believe that the bloom is finally off this rose. From where I stand, thank [email protected]! Hopefully, we'll go back to the old days. Fewer bikes, more respect, better brotherhood and maybe, just maybe, fewer Harley dealers. Harley dealers that have to adhere to providing decent customer service and much lower profit margins.

Old one, I do believe your dreaming or living in a fantasy world. Oh and where have you lost respect?

That's one of my contributions for the day!!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I bought my scoot off eBay.....it was a great experience!

I'd look for my next one there, too!
And why not?...a nice bike sittin' in some RUBs garage, covered up with low miles...for cheap!

There are too many nice used machines out there to EVER warrant goin' to the Stealership for one.

At least IMHO.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I have two close friends who bought their bikes off Ebay. Both were awesome deals IMO. I briefly looked on Ebay three years ago before I bought my new 04' EGC, but I've always had issues with buying used. Actually seeing and riding those purchased Ebay bikes, they are sweet rides on the cheap!

One of them was a 2003 EGC (less than 10000 miles) for around $10,000. try that at your local stealer!

·
Banned
4,609 Posts
Harley has been upping production for a few years now. In the last 9 years they have had three different stock engines and then there is all the factory engine upgrades. I think it is like the computer biz...........keep coming up with a faster model and make people think they need the new and improved version. It is all about marketing.

Many that can are buying the latest and greatest and many have been bought because owning a Harley has become a fad. You know a bunch will just end up sitting in the garage after a wet cold experience or a situation that scares the crap out of someone not used to riding.

I like the increasing used market as I do not buy new............

·
87 Posts
chrt396 said:
D) The guy has pissed off the Harley dealer so bad that he doesn't have anywhere to take his bike for service.
F) But the real reason might be....High mortgage payments due to excessive taxes, homeowners insurance and just the overall general economy in many areas of the country. They are having some real issues with cut backs and reduction of services due to the housing market. I'm in the automotive business and I feel the strain myself due to the cut backs of others. All of this crap rolls downhill eventually.

BINGO!!! You've hit the nail on the head!

A beer on me (I give out beers here 'cause nobody is every going to collect.). BTW, I owe nobody, nothing. Still a cash and carry kind of guy...

·
87 Posts
garyad said:
Old one, I do believe your dreaming or living in a fantasy world. Oh and where have you lost respect?

That's one of my contributions for the day!!
Mr. Garyad,

"Old one"? Who said I was old?

"I do believe your dreaming or living in a fantasy world." We'll see in a year or two. IMHO, the days of OCC are just 'bout over.

"Oh and where have you lost respect?" There was a saying a few years ago, "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand". No disrespect intended but I don't think you do.

That's my latest contribution for the day.

(I'm just posting because I have to get rid of that newbie thing, while I'm installing a TMAX, adjusting a rear belt on the '88, doing an oil change on the old lady's sporty and changing a jet on my 96incher...)

What are you up too???

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
I had good luck with Craigs List myself. Advertised my Big Dog chopper and got a buyer within two weeks - got my asking price too. Can't beat free classified.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
chrt396 said:
I think you're pretty accurate in your view...just a couple more items...

(1) Harley has over saturated the market and with the stealer's making deals to unload what has been thrust upon them it'll get worse before better.

(2) Like any "fad" those that wished to impress all their buddies with their instant "biker" status so carefully purchased at the stealer are now bored with the whole scene, those bikes are now entering the market.

(3) In addition the rest of the bike manufacturers have likewise flooded the market with "new" models.

It's good for the real rider and it's gonna be tough on the stealer's because we have long memories...

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
DeathTrap124 said:
Oldbike,

the bloom is off the rose...wtf? production has been upped to numbers that are astronomical compared to the old days. try opening your eyes. the appeal is to a much more diverse group. the production numbers along with the sales that support them is an indicator that there will be a large used market out there.

brotherhood? would that be the "you better own a harley if youre wearing a harley t-shirt" crowd? the "brotherhood" is strong...its just not 1% anymore. its mainstream america and its a friendly bunch of of riders and whoever-can-afford-ems. get used to it. its not an exclusive club anymore. they didnt stop after they let you or me in. dont expect it to stop anytime soon.

·
87 Posts
tomv said:
the bloom is off the rose...wtf? production has been upped to numbers that are astronomical compared to the old days. try opening your eyes. the appeal is to a much more diverse group. the production numbers along with the sales that support them is an indicator that there will be a large used market out there.

brotherhood? would that be the "you better own a harley if youre wearing a harley t-shirt" crowd? the "brotherhood" is strong...its just not 1% anymore. its mainstream america and its a friendly bunch of of riders and whoever-can-afford-ems. get used to it. its not an exclusive club anymore. they didnt stop after they let you or me in. dont expect it to stop anytime soon.

Okay, okay, don't get your panties all bunched up...

(Just watch.)

·
Banned
711 Posts
thatoldbike said:
I just noticed today that there are 2036 Harley auctions and 1605 Honda auctions. I've seen some ridiculous prices out there for used Harleys.

{salute(
I think you'll find this to be the case every year. (check out the boats section too!) Riding season has passed for a lot of people and they don't want to store their bike. Many of those bikes have few miles for most of the aformentioned reasons.

Nothing new really and yes, there are bargains out there if you have the patience to find them.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
There has always been motorcycles in garages because someone stopped riding, couldn't afford to keep them up, they had a scare. The difference is the value of the bikes. It used to be a Honda 350, maybe a 750, or an enduro type bike. Now, it is the top of the line. Before, only lifetime riders bought the top of the line in thier 40s or 50s. Now, many are buying thier first bike or first bike in 20 years, or just have the money to stroke thier ego.

Thier loss is our gain. HD has been whoring them out, they are trying like hell to have the new buyers, come back and buy again. What happened to the Harley buyer that keeps his bike - maybe for 30 years? It used to happen. A motorcycle was like a tractor, you rode it, rebuilt it, and rode it some more. How many used HDs today sell with fewer than 7000mi? some are 5yrs and older. That says it right there.

A guy can have a boat and only use it a few times in 5 yrs, but he keeps it until he gets divorced and is forced to sell it. Motorcycles have to be ridden, or you get rusty and are dangerous. I think that some guy who spends $25k on something that he realizes is more than he can handle, is embarrased to resell to soon, and 3 yrs later, he does - wanting top $. Those days are over, very few 5 yr old bikes are worth 95% of original value

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts
I still have my first Harley from 1985. My 04 will probably be with me in 22 years also. To me it's not a bike it's a member of the family.

The riding season is just starting here (temps under 100) and the market is flooded so end of season doesn't count. There are just a lot of new riders and the "new" has worn off so they are selling. We all knew this was going to happen. No reason, no excuse just lots of people realizing it wasn't for them. The people buying thinking it will be a collectors item and watching the used prices falling and want to get out also. Lots of reasons.

·
87 Posts
route66paul said:
A motorcycle was like a tractor, you rode it, rebuilt it, and rode it some more. How many used HDs today sell with fewer than 7000mi? some are 5yrs and older. That says it right there.
Route66paul,

Damn, bingo again! I still own the first HD I bought off the showroom floor. '88 standard Softail (I think they're making them again?). Many, many miles later, she now sports a 100" S&S, Baker 6-speed, Nitrous Oxide and many crazy add-ons. I can't even ride it in town anymore with the Supertrapp Mean Mutha pipes, the 18" apes and the vertical license plate. Anytime I do, I've got to be willing to dish out at least $95 when the man pulls me off the road. So today she pretty much stay's home. Sad, really sad. This country is really changing when they're digging down to motorcycles to make a buck. IMHO, ridiculous, crazy and totally unbelievable!

I'll die riding with my own wrench in my hand! I won't knock the new crew but I'm glad I had the good fortune of spending some time with the old...

·
87 Posts
garyad said:
Oh and where have you lost respect?
Read some of the last few posts.

I guess I lost some with you.

However, "old school" dictates that I don't do the same to you. Maybe you're like my son and you just don't know any better.

Peace, Brother...

1 - 20 of 66 Posts