V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Speed
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience buying a warranty for a used bike?

I'm looking at a bike at a dealer. They said I can buy a warranty that covers all of the same stuff the new bike warranty does except that there is a $50 deductable. I have been happy with how I have been treated with the factory warranty.

2-Year costs $1169

3-Year costs $1364

So, is it worth it? I do want some coverage for the major items like the motor, tranny, electrical, etc. on a used bike. It is a 2002 with low miles...

·
Banned
202 Posts
That extended warranty does not go though the MoCo (other than they have their hands in their pockets).

Just like an insurance company, they will find any little thing to void the warranty.

I have seen people get their stock tranny warranty voided because they had a SE Stage I kit dealer installed.

·
Speed
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FLSTFI-2005 said:
That extended warranty does not go though the MoCo (other than they have their hands in their pockets).

Just like an insurance company, they will find any little thing to void the warranty.

I have seen people get their stock tranny warranty voided because they had a SE Stage I kit dealer installed.

Interesting...I didn't know H-D wasn't backing the used bike warranty. So, I basically paying an insurance company to 'cover' me from a manufacturing defect?

hmmm...I don't like the feeling of that. I thought H-D was standing behind their product for a longer period of time for a fee.

Interested to hear more...

KL

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
KLars1 said:
Interesting...I didn't know H-D wasn't backing the used bike warranty. So, I basically paying an insurance company to 'cover' me from a manufacturing defect?

hmmm...I don't like the feeling of that. I thought H-D was standing behind their product for a longer period of time for a fee.

Interested to hear more...

KL
Read the fine print on your extended warranty that you bought with your new bike! Same thing, it is from an insurance company.(albiet, administered by the MOCO)
My extended warranty was never denied and I have obvious mods.

The price is way to high though, be your own warranty company and you'll not spend near the amount of money if you maintain that thing properly and if you don't, it wouldn't be covered anyhow....

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Standard rule of thumb for financial management...Never buy insurance for something that you can afford to take care of yourself. Only buy insurance for those things that would be impossible for you to handle. Extended warranties almost always fall into the first category. What are the chances that a repair would cost more than the cost of the warranty? Obviously not very good, or the insurance company would not sell the warranty!

Insure you life if you need an estate when you die. Insure your house because you cannot afford to replace it. Buy liability insurance for your car and bike because you cannot afford a lawsuit. Do not buy extended warranty insurance!

·
Speed
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tommy Meisel said:
Standard rule of thumb for financial management...Never buy insurance for something that you can afford to take care of yourself. Only buy insurance for those things that would be impossible for you to handle. Extended warranties almost always fall into the first category. What are the chances that a repair would cost more than the cost of the warranty? Obviously not very good, or the insurance company would not sell the warranty!

Insure you life if you need an estate when you die. Insure your house because you cannot afford to replace it. Buy liability insurance for your car and bike because you cannot afford a lawsuit. Do not buy extended warranty insurance!
Thanks for your wisdom. I guess if something breaks in the tranny or motor they are just opportunities to upgrade...6 -speed and 103ci!:Banadance

1 - 7 of 7 Posts