V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've left a deposit on this bike, clock only shows 6100miles. My question is about the rear cam bearing failures. The 5/50,000 that the dealer gave on these is now past and with such low mileage, is it possible that this bike would last this many miles without an issue? In other words, I want to know how high the percentage is that this thing could be a time bomb.

How long did those bad bearing last (mileage)?

Any other issues I should know about?

If this is a bike to stay away from, I am also looking at a 2006 FXDWG. But it will be bone stock and has the EPA concerns (2006). That's the reason I'm looking at this 2000, previous owner spent a few grand on accessories. But my main concern is castastrophic engine failure!!!

Thanks guys,

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
You can give HD a call with VIN number, and they can tell you which bearings were fited during assembly. I think problem was corrected soon, so there is a good chance you won't be affected.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I put 20,000 on my 99 FXDX no problems , only 2% of the production run had issues , by 2000 most had been resolved.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
The problem was the rear outer cam bearing failures. On December 14, 1999 the Motor Company made a production line change to go from a ball style bearing to a roller style cam bearing. They also changed to a cam support plate that had a slightly larger hole machined in it for the outer cam bearings (reportedly because they thought the zero tolerance bearing fit squeezed the bearing helping it fail). They later changed back to their *original* cam support plate with the zero tolerance pressed in bearing (feeling that the first revision wasn't necessary after all).
Call harley and ask if the bike was produced before or after this date. If produced before, I would recommend changing the rear bearing to the roller bearing style.
Harley was giving the 5/50000 on the original bearing to avoid having them changed out knowing full well the majority of riders never put 50000 on a bike.
Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts