V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 police model electraglide. it comes with the 103ci motor installed.But, most techs are telling me that it does not come with 255 cams. Compression is 9:6, and a HD recall allows for compression release heads to be installed. I want to stay with HD cams if possible for warranty purposes. I know that other cam companies make great cams for this motor. SO, is the 255 a good choice or should I look a another HD cam??
Also I will have done the stage one with A/C and Rinehart or Vance & Hines slip ons.

·
Hopalong
310 Posts
The 255s, hi flow, & slip-ons call for a stage 2 download, so make sure you get the right one. Have them do the ACR head recall first, and while they have the heads off, give em a set of cometic .030 headgaskets to use instead of the stockers. If you've got a decent tech doing the work, have them check/correct the deck height. Shouldn't cost much extra, but will make the bike run better. Should produce ~90-95TQ, 80-85 HP.
HTH
Robin

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
The HD spec for the '07 103 police motor is 102 tq.; no hp number provided.

Given the fact that your bike was certified by HD for EPA compliance, and given the Stage II 103 is EPA compliant with the SE 255 cams, it is very unlikely to me that you DON'T already have SE 255 cams in your engine--I don't see HD going to the expense of certifying two different 103" engines.

Unfortunately, I don't know anyway other than side by side measuring to verify if the cams in your bike are SE 255s or not.

Given that your tq is already at 102 or so, I'd avoid the expense of buying SE 255 cams (unless it is definitively established that those are not what you already have) and do the higher flow slip-ons, SE a/c and richen the tune some and, perhaps, bump the timing slightly. The download you get will still be lean, and therefore, hot. Instead of buying cams, consider a fuel managment system (I prefer SERT) to richen the mixture and cool the engine.

Let us know what you find out about the cams. The part numbers are 24608-07 and 25590-07 for the cams in your bike; however when you look at kit breakdowns for the 103 Stage II (which has the SE 255 cams), individual cam numbers are not provided.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
They are different engines, they have different equipment and different flash to the ECM. They could very well have that cam, but the engine is different per EPA.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
dxrich: One additional consideration are the valve springs in your stock motor. The Stage II kit uses the stock valve springs for the SE 255 cam, which is a .550 lift cam. I would be concerned about going to any higher lift cam than that with the stock valve springs.

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
dirtrace95 said:
If you want to stay with H-D cams id go with SE251s, They run really good, power is pretty much all over.:corn:
This is a good choice, but there should be some head work and have the compression set for this cam. Stock compression would be low even with the .030 gasket. It is also known for valve noise which I can attest to.

Before I'd spend for the download, I'd put that money towards the SERT and have it run right, and not lean.

Please keep us up on how it goes as I've considered doing this exact work to mine.

Chris

·
Registered
96 Posts
dirtrace95 said:
If you want to stay with H-D cams id go with SE251s, They run really good, power is pretty much all over.:corn:
I have a set of 251's for sale, $200. They have under 2000 mi on them, neve abused.

·
Iron Butt, SS2000
3,399 Posts
Another vote for the SERT.
Get the Race Tuner(first step in any build) & a GOOD tuner. That alone will give you a great running bike. As long as the heads are off, send them to Dan Baisley in Portland, OR. Lots of potential to be unlocked in there.

But I'm not an engine builder. Finding parts and modifications that compliment each other takes a lot of trial and error. Don't make the mistake of trying to copy some of what has worked for someone else. Even the smallest changes will necessitate a dyno tune to get what potential the engine has and put it to the rear tire. PCIII is a good choice as there are a lot more people who know how to use them but that only means there are a lot more people that use them who don't know what they are doing (or don't care to do everything that can be done). My learning is the SERT is the most flexible and therefore best choice.

HDMD88 may know of a good tuner in your area, he teaches the class, send him a PM. Here's what he did for me:
http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1266726&postcount=24

Not sure if you can see the attachments. If not, pay the cost become a member. It's well worth it. You're Gonna spend a lot of money on your bike over time and this place will save you thousands.

Anyway ... First task is to identify your budget. For every possbility, there is something else you might as well do while you're in there for "just a little more money". If you are set on HD cams I have read and heard lots of good things about the 251. I have one in my 103" Dyna, love it. My caution for you, arbitrarily deciding to change the cam may or may not be the first choice you should make if you want to get the most result for money spent. It's very likely that you can keep the cam you have and get lots more fun by doing a couple of other things. I recommend you get on the phone with the usual suspects (the builders who advertise here at VTF) and get advice from the best. There are so many ways to go. Talk with a couple of guys who "know how and have done". These are the guys who see a build as an entire recipe and can get everything to work together. The total package is about the proper marriage of all of the parts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts