V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
I would rather that the business was burned to the ground. It sends a more pungent message. :wavey: The USA will be sh1t on until it decides it wont be. This is simply one more person getting in his licks.

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Sounds to me like the owner didn't know what he was doing was "illegal", and he bought new flags and put them up properly.

Symbols mean something, people have to understand that. We've had this dicussion before. About Mexican flags, US flags, Confederate flags. Until people begin to understand that symbols are more than just cloth and dye, these kinds of clashes will only get worse.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Flying the flag of another nation above the American flag is in fact illegal as a US Federal offense, but unfortunately there is no punishment for failure to comply,... nor is there for flag desecration. There have been recent proposals in Congress, though.

Did y'all catch the very last comment from the reporter on the video? He said that the guy that took the flags down could be charged by the shop owner (I guess for destruction of private property). Tell ya what, if I was there, I'd be helping that vet take it down or watching his back while he did.

{salute(

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Thrasher?! Vigilantism? over a flag? That's pretty radical don't you think?

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
doubtful analogy

OldMsocko said:
The families of the men and women that died for what the flag represents would not think so.
It is doubtful that all the families would have more than a variety of views as to the value of the flag and the implications of free speech verses an aggressive assault on anyone. No place in the story does it say anyone informed the person who put the flag up that it was improper to do what they had done. I'll not support anyone who takers mattes into their own hands without having determined if the other guy would change what he has done.

I'd like to see a reference to the Federal laws that says it was illegal to fly one higher than the other. It may be in bad taste to do so; it may be improper etiquette; but I doubt it is an actual violation of the Federal laws to do so.

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
toybox99615 said:
I'd like to see a reference to the Federal laws that says it was illegal to fly one higher than the other. It may be in bad taste to do so; it may be improper etiquette; but I doubt it is an actual violation of the Federal laws to do so.
No other flag or pennant should be placed above or, if on the same level, to theright of the flag of the United States of America, except during church services conducted by naval chaplains at sea, when the church pennant may be flown above the flag during church services for the personnel of the Navy. No person shall display the flag of the United Nations or any other national or international flag equal, above, or ina position of superior prominence or honor to or inplace of the flag of the United States or anyTerritory or possessionthereof: Provided,That nothing in this section shall make unlawful the continuance of the practice heretofore followed of displaying the flag of the United Nations in a position of superior prominence or honor, and other national flags in positions of equal prominence or honor, with that of the flag of the United States at the headquarters of the United Nations.
http://kyl.senate.gov/constit_center/RL30243.pdf

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
close but not a winner

DJW said:
No other flag or pennant should be placed above or, if on the same level, to theright of the flag of the United States of America, except during church services conducted by naval chaplains at sea, when the church pennant may be flown above the flag during church services for the personnel of the Navy. No person shall display the flag of the United Nations or any other national or international flag equal, above, or ina position of superior prominence or honor to or inplace of the flag of the United States or anyTerritory or possessionthereof: Provided,That nothing in this section shall make unlawful the continuance of the practice heretofore followed of displaying the flag of the United Nations in a position of superior prominence or honor, and other national flags in positions of equal prominence or honor, with that of the flag of the United States at the headquarters of the United Nations.
http://kyl.senate.gov/constit_center/RL30243.pdf
Close to law; but the use of should with regards to the above citation is not an absolute. Should implies a different legalise meaning than should not, shall not or may not. Maybe technical but that the way the system works in the legalese community.

Its not that I disagree with the respect that should be shown the US flag it is simply the difference between appropriate and legal. Generally it is the Code you refer to that has been the subject of all the issue with desecration vs. free speech in the courts.

The US Code with respect to the flag is the guidance for how it is to be displayed. But it carries no penalties for failure to follow this guidance . So you could say the code is a mute point if someone does not follow it.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
toybox99615 said:
It is doubtful that all the families would have more than a variety of views as to the value of the flag and the implications of free speech verses an aggressive assault on anyone. No place in the story does it say anyone informed the person who put the flag up that it was improper to do what they had done. I'll not support anyone who takers mattes into their own hands without having determined if the other guy would change what he has done.

No one aggressively assaulting anyone there, nor was any such thing shown in the video. I don't know WTF that came from. We're talking about taking down a flag that was displayed disrespectfully. Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Its not anyone's job to inform the person who put up the flag that he had done so improperly. Its that person's responsibility out of the respect for the law and the United States of America to inform himself.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I corrected my placement of the flag on my ride after being corrected via this forum. Thanks, never knew, but now am aware.:wavey:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Hard to get upset with this guy when you have our very own leader taking a big steamy pooh on the US Constitution, Bill of Rights, and the principles under which this nation was founded.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
toybox99615 said:
Close to law; but the use of should with regards to the above citation is not an absolute. Should implies a different legalise meaning than should not, shall not or may not. Maybe technical but that the way the system works in the legalese community.

Its not that I disagree with the respect that should be shown the US flag it is simply the difference between appropriate and legal. Generally it is the Code you refer to that has been the subject of all the issue with desecration vs. free speech in the courts.

The US Code with respect to the flag is the guidance for how it is to be displayed. But it carries no penalties for failure to follow this guidance . So you could say the code is a mute point if someone does not follow it.
I really love how you lawyers twist things around with words.

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
OldMsocko said:
The families of the men and women that died for what the flag represents would not think so.
A few years ago I was watching TV with my dad, a decorated Korean War vet. We were watching the news and they were showing people here in the states burning our flag during some protest. I said, "damn Pops, I'll bet that really makes your blood boil" and he asked me why I said that. I was surprised he didn't get it. So I told him I figured it would piss him off considering how many people died fighting for that flag. He stood up sort of pissed, looked at me and said James, nobody every died fighting over that flag, they died fighting for what it stands for. It stands for freedom. The people who fought and died for our country fought for the right for everyone here at home to have that freedom. He said he'd fight to defend someones right to burn the flag, even if they look like a big idiot doing it. :laugh:

My dad is one of my heroes. Greatest man I've ever known.

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
toybox99615 said:
No place in the story does it say anyone informed the person who put the flag up that it was improper to do what they had done.
As they say, ignorance of the law is no excuse. When someone gets boozed up, drives and kills someone should we accept the plea that they were ignorant of the law? You tell me....

·
Registered
886 Posts

The biggest 'no-no' I see concerning flag etiquette is the flying of the flag at night.
I know a lot of people who have those flag poles that attached to a holder and are mounted on the side/front of their houses.
They put the flag up and leave there, even at night.
From my understanding, if the flag is flown at night there should be a spotlight directed at it - you see this at office buildings which have flagpoles outside, they have a spotlight on the ground and pointing at the flag so it is seen at night.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Timmy_D said:

The biggest 'no-no' I see concerning flag etiquette is the flying of the flag at night.
I know a lot of people who have those flag poles that attached to a holder and are mounted on the side/front of their houses.
They put the flag up and leave there, even at night.
From my understanding, if the flag is flown at night there should be a spotlight directed at it - you see this at office buildings which have flagpoles outside, they have a spotlight on the ground and pointing at the flag so it is seen at night.
Another is the flying of flags that are tattered, soiled, and or faded. These should be replaced and destroyed.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
As usual

geoffreyt said:
As they say, ignorance of the law is no excuse. When someone gets boozed up, drives and kills someone should we accept the plea that they were ignorant of the law? You tell me....
As usual you are once again off the issue. While the guy who flew the flags was wrong the guy who decided to just trespass and do what he wanted was equally as wrong. It would have taken 2 minutes to tell the flag flyer he needed to correct the situation in any number of ways including placing the American flag above the Mexican flag.

If the guy flying the flag shot the guy trespassing on his property would you give him the same level of support for defending his property. Trespassing is also against the law.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts