V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that Rivera Primo is over whatever issues they were having, I decided it was time to upgrade the clutch in my little hot rod.

I originally had this setup, and it was fine with a 100/100 103.

But when I went to the 110, it was not up to the task, not to mention that both the comp and the tensioner in the photo were not up to the job. The comp was replaced the tensioner I got to eat.

I tried to get a full Pro Clutch from Rivera, but they didn't have one and were hardly answering the phone at the time. So I went with a Barnett VPC with the hope of being able to tune the spring pressure for a decent lever pull. Ended up needing 3 of the heavy springs and three of the mediums to get it to hold. It worked fine, but the lever pull and hold was bad. Just not enough disk in the oem basket. Not to mention worrying about the oem basket breaking every time I hammered on the throttle.

So I found out that Rivera was up and running again, and ordered a VPC setup from them
The Pro clutch is much more substantial unit, and eliminates the cracking cause by the 12 tab disks by using disks with 40some tabs on them. Spreading the load onto a thicker basket

While I was there, I went ahead and replaced the comp with a 30 tooth sprocket and a short pitch chain.

As for the comp, the second gen Baker has held up much better than the first gen.

The one I just took out has about 7K on it.

And the first gen with less miles.

·
Super Moderator
21,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much power are the stock compansaters
Good for before needing an upgrade? Say twin caman

I think they will handle all the power a VTwin can make. The question is for how long. And with what comps cost, they are an expensive maintenance item.

M8's are another story. Harley made a little change to them and uses a thin cast ramp disk on them. And they break. Some even break on stock scooters.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts