V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought my vivid black efi 06 softail standard in december and want to upgrade the exhaust. after doing some research i decided on python staggered duals (supposed to be similiar to vance and hines big shot staggered)and the ness big sucker breather kit. i think i'll opt for the hd download and get the power commander 3 usb if the bike doesn't run to my expectations. my friend has a 05 dyna glide custom with python3 slashcut pipes, se breather kit and the hd download. he has over 600 miles and the bike runs perfect. i don't plan on doing any other engine modifications in the future. any opinions or comments good or bad would be appreciated. thanks pat

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
I have the Python Staggered and love them. Great look and performance. I have the SE A/C with K&N filter and it works great. You won't really get much of an advantage with the big sucker over the SE A/C. The bike will suck in as much air as it needs. No more. I would, however, advise doing either a Stage-1 download, PowerCommander or SERT when you do the upgrades. The bike will not run right without it and could cause some engine damage. I recommend the SERT because its alot more tunable. Which ever route you go, the map will be a close approximation to your setup. So the bike will run great but not perfect (i.e. bike runs great except for a slight popping on decel, which is what I had). Once you've riden it for about 1500 miles, I'd get it dyno'd by a good tuner in order to get the bike running perfect. After that, your done. Just hop on the bike and ride... Enjoy the new scoot...

·
Liberal Slayer
212 Posts
If you buy a SERT or a Power Commander when you purchase your upgrades (i.e. SE A/C and slip ons/New exhaust) I assume you do not need to buy the $150 ECM download. Shouldn't you be able to save yourself the $150.

Also, the dealer/website says you need the $150 ECM download if you do the upgrades at the dealer. That can't be right. What, like they keep your bike hostage until you buy the ECM.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
The SERT overwrites the map inside the ECM, so if you have the Stage-1 download in your ECM the SERT will overwrite it, making the download a waste of money.

The PC tells the ECM what to do. So if you have the stock ECM or the Stage-1 Download, the PC (and the bike) will perform exactly the same. It, in a sense, bypasses whatever map is inside the ECM making the Stage-1 download a waste of money. However, if the PC fails (loose wire, fried or whatever) the map in the ECM will take overm making the Stage-1 download more of an insurance policy. Note, it is very rare that the PC will fail.

Good luck...

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
skip the download and save the buck and a half.plus labor!
sert is good. but you may want to look into the thundermax also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
dpsantoli said:
i bought my vivid black efi 06 softail standard in december and want to upgrade the exhaust. after doing some research i decided on python staggered duals (supposed to be similiar to vance and hines big shot staggered)and the ness big sucker breather kit. i think i'll opt for the hd download and get the power commander 3 usb if the bike doesn't run to my expectations. my friend has a 05 dyna glide custom with python3 slashcut pipes, se breather kit and the hd download. he has over 600 miles and the bike runs perfect. i don't plan on doing any other engine modifications in the future. any opinions or comments good or bad would be appreciated. thanks pat
yea should got the carb.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
mikessoftail said:
yea should got the carb.
:stupid: That was not a very productive comment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts