V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a line on a stock HD audio system out of a '03 Ultra Classic - part number 76146-03

On-line the HD site shows the radio upgrade for the Ultra to be 76146-04 which goes straight in without any special adaptors, just uses the stock wiring harness ... the part number difference being the suffix of 03 vs. 04 ...

Apparently the 76146-04 will just bolt/plug in and work fine.

Will the 76146-03 out of the '03 Ultra do that too?

Basically can I get this stock box from the '03 and plug it into my '99 and it will work fine?

Thanks.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Doubt it would be plug and play.

It will be much easier for you to go with the Retro Radio Kit from BikeTronics for $199
http://www.biketron.com/item.jhtml;$sessionid$RKZUTHYAAABBPTZENUGXBMWPERWRJPX0?UCIDs=1102546&PRID=1513808

That will definitly be plug and play including using the factory handlebar controls and you'll also get the benefit of playing MP3's in addition to all the other options as compared to the stock 03 radio.

I went thru a lot to get decent tunes hooked up to an 89' this year and have a kick ass system now. If I was builing a '99, the Retro Radio is the kit I would have used. Good luck!

·
Registered
934 Posts
It looks like they changed the radio in some way in '03. The parts manual states that radio's from '98 to '02 will work interchangably (is that a word?). '03 radios had some sort of change, weather it affects the wiring, I don't know, but I don't think it would be a plug and play.

Take this as pure 'pinion, cause I ain't never dun it

good luck

darrell

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
I agree with both irondoc and fxrflh. I think the addition of the cd probably changed the harness in some way, you know how the moco loves to make stuff totally propriatary. The retro-radio appears totally cool and the reviews here are great, it's definately the upgrade I'll be doing to my 01/RG eventually...

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good answer ...

fxrflh said:
Doubt it would be plug and play.

It will be much easier for you to go with the Retro Radio Kit from BikeTronics for $199
http://www.biketron.com/item.jhtml;$sessionid$RKZUTHYAAABBPTZENUGXBMWPERWRJPX0?UCIDs=1102546&PRID=1513808

That will definitly be plug and play including using the factory handlebar controls and you'll also get the benefit of playing MP3's in addition to all the other options as compared to the stock 03 radio.

I went thru a lot to get decent tunes hooked up to an 89' this year and have a kick ass system now. If I was builing a '99, the Retro Radio is the kit I would have used. Good luck!
Hey, I'd forgotten about this option. Looked it over and yup, I think that's the answer. Cool ... thanks.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Figures ...

Ironrdr said:
It looks like they changed the radio in some way in '03. The parts manual states that radio's from '98 to '02 will work interchangably (is that a word?). '03 radios had some sort of change, weather it affects the wiring, I don't know, but I don't think it would be a plug and play.

Take this as pure 'pinion, cause I ain't never dun it

good luck

darrell
Thanks for the info ... it sounded too easy. I'm thinking now that the Biketronics module and a Sony deck is the way to go ...

Thanks.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sprong ...! My f'ckg tongue is hard ...

adlerx said:
I agree with both irondoc and fxrflh. I think the addition of the cd probably changed the harness in some way, you know how the moco loves to make stuff totally propriatary. The retro-radio appears totally cool and the reviews here are great, it's definately the upgrade I'll be doing to my 01/RG eventually...
Hey, nice avitar.

Yes, the HD marketing genius's at work tinkering for profit ... the Biketronics kit looks like a go.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I talked direct to the MDMOC radio builders and they said that there is no retrofit for pre 2000 and that there was something witht the amperage that will not allow you to use a post 2000 radio in a pre 2000. Only thing I could figure is the handlebar controls becouse the radio and CB is 12 volt. Tried wiring in a non HD radio and it worked fine without the hand controls but there was water prtoector sheild so that was not the best. It ended up in the car and the HD radio went back in. Let me know how you make out and I will check out the site mentioned as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im wanting to upgrade my 1998 ultra classic's radio as well. Which one is best for plug and play? So far i've read so much about different radios that are compatable with my bike but i dont which one is compatable. Thinking im gonna hafta call the manufacture myself to get the strait skinny.... So far i've found out that hd part # 76350-04 has 60 watt amp built into it, 76146-04 and 76146-03 are also compatable radios as well but i cant find out any information about those two. I just wanna radio that i can plug into my existing radio harness & hear the music jam loudly with dependability and on occasion deal with a wife on the back who will more than likely chime in with the intercom feature.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
HD's vendor for the radios during the times you're considering was Radio Sound. They have excellent customer service: (502) 267-6768. They maintain a refurb program. Give them a call.

Carl

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've got a line on a stock HD audio system out of a '03 Ultra Classic - part number 76146-03

On-line the HD site shows the radio upgrade for the Ultra to be 76146-04 which goes straight in without any special adaptors, just uses the stock wiring harness ... the part number difference being the suffix of 03 vs. 04 ...

Apparently the 76146-04 will just bolt/plug in and work fine.

Will the 76146-03 out of the '03 Ultra do that too?

Basically can I get this stock box from the '03 and plug it into my '99 and it will work fine?

Thanks.
I bought a 2003 ultra cd off ebay. It was broken and I sent to Radiosound for a refurbish exchange. My buddy installed it in a 1999 ultra and works great. The shop that out it in had to buy a $30? harness I thought. The console buttons for the Cb were nolonger used and cb is operated from radio faceplate.
Replaced speakers with hogtunes in fairing and sounds great.

leroy

·
ASA Lives
600 Posts
my 2001 cassette radio has 1 plug on back. the CD radios i have seen have 2 plugs
The one plug unit is just the regular radio model. The one with two is the Ultra model. It has the intercom and CB in it. There should also be a round antenna plug on the back too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts