V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
05 Ultra. Currently have the HD Low Profile rear shocks and HD Low Profile front end springs installed. My question is this, I want to install Progressive 12" 440's, what can I do to improve the front suspension, yet maintain a good match for the 12" 440's?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Race Tech springs or if you have deeper pockets the AK-20 from Traxxion Dynamics, they will make it to your specs

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
I put on the 12.5 440's and the progressive front fork lowering kit. The Progressive guy told me that this is their most popular setup but I think now I would go with the 12" 440's and still put on the fork kit. Stifffens the suspension up but not to where you get a jolt going over bumps. Does great in the corners too!

·
Banned
6,663 Posts
Does your bikes have the cartridge type front end. I can't stand how the front end of my bike works, and haven't been able to find a kit that will help on my '04 RG. The waffeling around corners is killing me...got 440's on rear..helps alot.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
I had the lowered front springs on my 05 FLHT and it bottomed constantly. I bought the Progressive standard height springs and had them installed. Well, the tech found the cartridge had been removed from the left fork leg and other junk dropped in. Sooo, he corrected the hack work that had previously been done and installed the new springs. Huge improvement. The only thing is I found the front to be too soft and prone to 'bob', but it did not bottom. I changed the oil to 15wt and that fixed that. As far as the cartridge is concerned, apparently you can remove the cartridge and replace the guts with the standard stuff. It's the 02-05 FLs that have that cartridge-the RK guys are lucky on that one.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
The waffling around the corners can be helped by changing to Metzler 880's and a proper chassis alignment. Many are out of alignment from the factory. I just did mine and I have to really hammer it to make it wobble just ever so slightly.

·
Banned
6,663 Posts
Thats for the info....so you ended up with the progressives? Did Progressive have a kit to make the front end original?...cause a Rep. there said not. So where did your Tech guy get the parts, was this done at a "steeler"? Also, I've never heard of a chassis alignment, it that the same as balancing the front end? Also, did an Indey do that work for you (alignment) or HD? Should I just try to change the fork oil to 15w and see what happens, or is this problem specific to the cartridge bikes....I've talked to several RG '04 types, and they seem satisfied, maybe it has something to do w/ how I ride..:thumbsup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes progressive makes stock height . stay with the stock oil if you go to a higher weight like the SE oil it might be to stiff for you ,you will find that the bike will handle much better ,the 412 on the back will also give you great stability, as far as checking your allinment ,this is when your back wheel and front wheel are perfectly inline ,a good wey to know if your bikes wheels are inline ,NO Hands bike tracks straight .a high speed wobble most times is tire at its wear li.mit or forks not inline and yes soft spring load,Hd spring are soft,they are built to tour and give you a smooth ride,if you ride hard,you need a more spring.Progressive springs will give you that and yes you will lose the high speed wobble.2Wheel

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Sorry to be so late...What 2Wheel said, plus...The front cartridge was removed by a shop in CA for the previous owner, so I don't have the specifics. All I know was the work was horrible and the bike was hardly ridable on anything other than the smoothest surface. The work I had done was done by Chicago HD. The tech that rebuilt the forks told me about the mess he encountered and was able put it all back right with parts he had laying around the shop. He put the standard fork oil in when done. Afterwards, I found the front too soft and with the firm Ultimate Air rear shocks, it tended to 'pitch' forward and the front would 'porpoise' or oscillate up and down after a medium bump. I can't change the dampening characteristics of the rear, so all I could do is firm up the front. Changing to the 15wt oil accomplished that and I still feel I have a good ride quality-certainly better than stock. As a side, I recently rode my friends 05 SE Ultra and I found the ride very harsh compared to mine. Stock suspension....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts