V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this has been asked before please shoot me

Is there a pretty much standard upgrade for a 04 FLHTCUI 95" that is used mostly between 65-75mph, 2 up, medium loaded, traveling from MD to pionts west and south? Not looking for the meanest, baddest ride just looking for a dependable upgrade beyond the 95 that has power but doesn't "ping". Is there such a combination of parts out there? :huh:

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
C'mon now, you've been here 4 years and have 500+ posts, don't tell me you haven't read hundreds of build posts.
Now, what do you really want to know?
Mild street ported heads
andrews 26 or 37 cams
Good 2into1 exhaust, V&H, D&D

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I deserved that :yes:
I was just looking for a fool proof upgrade that everyone generally agreed on. I've either seen or heard of more than a 100 combos but just asking before I leaped again. :thanks:

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
brwk said:
I deserved that :yes:
I was just looking for a fool proof upgrade that everyone generally agreed on. I've either seen or heard of more than a 100 combos but just asking before I leaped again. :thanks:
well, the one I listed above seems pretty foolproof, havn't ever heard of anyone who was dissatisfied. Always people looking for more or to squeeze every possible tenth out of any build, but I'm guessing this one will keep just about any of us who have been riding stage 1 for any amount of time extremely happy.
At least I hope so cuz I'm finally pulling the trigger in the next couple of weeks....

·
Sub Par Member
769 Posts
brwk said:
Is there a pretty much standard upgrade for a 04 FLHTCUI 95" that is used mostly between 65-75mph, 2 up, medium loaded, traveling from MD to pionts west and south?
I've heard of one that will get you 110 HP and 115 TQ in that configuration, but I think it only works if you're traveling from DE to points North....sorry.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good one......that made my morning :thumbsup:
I think I'll wimp-out and just keep the plain 95" and add a PC.
Thanks

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
If you have not done any head work, throw in a set of Andrews TW26G gear drive cams and be happy.
Also a SE cam support plate, Baisley spring and SE pushrods. No top end dissamebly required. Give you good low and mid range torque.
It it make it seem like a new bike for very little mechanical effort.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Big Bore confusion!

Hey BRWK,
Don’t feel bad. I have the same bike and the same problem. Now I can turn a wrench, but I am NOT a mechanic and surely not a performance guru. My idea of making power is twisting the throttle until it won’t go any more. All’s reading the 500 plus post and threads here has done has confused me to the point where I don’t know what to do, so I’m sitting on my ass doing nothing. There are about 50 different cam combos, ported heads; non ported heads, HTCC heads; performance heads; chain drives; gear drives; adjustable pushrods; non-adjustable push rods; forged pistons; cast pistons; DFO’s; power commanders; gear changes; 95 kits; 98 kits; 103 kits; 107 kits; 113 kits; about a million different pipe combos. Every tech I spoke to gave me a different recommendation on parts and outcome. Who do you trust? How do you know the combo on one bike will work on yours?

After reading all of these post, I have focused on HDMD88’s post. He seems to cut through the BS and gets right to the point of power. Doc, if you wanna chime in and give me your 2 cents on a combo that will work for me I’ll visit Disney World and let you have at it if you want to.

Currently
04 FLHTCI
Stage 1 kit
V&H dual ovals
DFO

I don’t usually get up over 5500 rpm but I enjoy twisting the throttle when I am alone. I cruse anywhere between 70 and 95 mph on the hwy. With the wife I drive like an old lady. I am looking for a stump puller. Torque torque torque. I am looking for awesome roll on power in 5th gear and power on the mountain roads pulling a trailer riding 2 up. I would like complete reliability. I dont want to do squat to it for 100k except change the oil.

Can anybody clear up the confusion?

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
If I had a do over I would do new 98 jugs and pistons, 37 cams, 9.6:1 cast flat tops, ported heads of your flavor and a LSR-2 Pipe with PC III or such.

No high compression, no forged pistons, no roller rockers, no adjustable push rods, no special lifters, no compression releases, no torque monster cams, no true duels, no TCFI, and would be safe and content.

I just could never do it now because I know what this build feels like and although the above would be close in overall numbers the way the numbers are produced would never satisfy me after riding this beast. It is a great bike and fun to run in a bagger for sure. Been a great introduction to Big Twin motors after the Evos for me and no matter what, my "95 in the bag" is my baby and I will never give her up.

But new guys or people who don't like to spin a wrench the above build is IMHO the best and safest you can do. I think the best bang for your buck and will give the least amount of trouble and would be tunable by a lot of people.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Dewey's Pro Street heads, Andrews 37G, 95" Wiseco flat tops, Power Commander, Pro Pipe or a D&D Fat Cat. Approx. 100/100 or better.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
100/100? I'll check them out. Thanks for the info all. :beer4u:

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Peacekeeper said:
100/100? I'll check them out. Thanks for the info all. :beer4u:
My Dyna runs 97.9/103.3 and with a really good tuner I can get a little more. I'm happy with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts