V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone recalls I started a thread on a "chirp like" sound or a high pitched air noise coming from the engine somewhere (02 FLHTCUI). A free-flowing muffler allows the noise to come through more. Looked for loose items, dried rubber mounts, heat shields, etc......with no luck. Was told that it was: 1. the new Delco parts in the EFI system, 2. lean condition set at the factory that can be corrected by Stage upgrades, and a few more.
Decided to do the BB/203/HD Tuner. I have Bassani slip-ons on and still have the noise although it sounds better due to the low rumble of the Bassanis.
I give up. The people who were interested with this and it's solution.....your turn.
Brian

·
Banned
999 Posts
only chirps I ever heard on my scooters were from the belt, ie..

engines usually click,clack, rattle, whirr etc

suppose an injector could chirp,it is a solenoid.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only hear this on 02-03 EFI bikes and don't recall if I have heard this on a B motor. I mostly pay attention to the "sound" when I see a "like" bike (FLHTCI or UI).

·
Registered
26 Posts
engine chirp

I have a 2002 FLHRI that has chirped since new. At first i thought it was the slip on pipes. I had them changed at the 1000 mi service and the new mufflers do the same thing. I had the stage 1 kit installed, but no improvement. A friend of mine said it sounds like the injectors. The dealer says it is the rear crossover pipe on fuel injected bikes only. The noise is loudest at idle and goes away as the rpm increases. This noise has bothered me since the day i bought the bike. I don't think it will hurt the longevity of the engine, it just is annoying.

·
Registered
228 Posts
There were a few posts about that air noise. It's not only the EFI engines I have a 2002 FLHT carb/stage 1 that makes the same noise.
It only makes that sound in third gear or around 2200 rpm under very light throttle. I know its coming from the exhaust but I don't have a clue as to why.
It makes the sound you would hear from a short blast of air passing across the end of a small closed pipe.:confused:
A couple other friends with the split exhaust TC engines make the same noise its not very loud but its there..

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Heh.
My carbed 02 FXDX has done that since the day I bought it. NOTHING is stock settings on the intake OR exhaust cans. If its the crossover, so be it, but I wondered about that as well. Thanks 4 the feedback everyone ill just ignore it now.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now we just need someone to switch to true duals that has this noise and see if that fixes it. I can't believe that no one has stumbled on the "fix" yet. :(

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yep ... I've got it on a '02 FLHTCUI ... sounds like when when you blew across the top of a pepsi bottle when you were a kid ... kind of a mystical sound ... only notice it when decelerating up to a stop ... kinda like the sound ... always said Harley's had soul!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Had the chirp went to true duals noise is gone. Still hear some chirp when im not on the bike but thats another problem.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
At least you don't hear the "chains swishing in a dog bowl" 88b motor sound. :(

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have the chirp on my 88b with samson 2-2's. Only hear it at 65-70mph. Glad to hear from you all I'm not losing my mind.

Getting a 2-1 pipe this month and will post if the sound is still there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2003 FLHT/I, installed in this order, Bassani Power Curve, Bassani H.O. Slant cut slip-ons (2 1/2" baffles). S.E. a/c, Stage 1 re-map
& finally a PC111r (not dyno tuned). I've noticed a VW Bug type of squeak coming from the pipes. Didn't notice a squeak with stock pipes, but it definately has one now. First thing I ckecked was the slip-ons, they are in the center of the mounting bracket, so they're not rubbing. Haven't narrowed it down to certain rpm or mph, but it comes & goes, & does appear to be engine speed/load related. Not quite as noticable with the PC111r with a fairly close map, but it's still there. Will get dyno-tuned soon & hopefully it will stop. I'm sure I'm running lean.

Skidmark

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ahhhh yesssss, the VW sound, I know it well. I put my Bassanis on and at least the ones I got dropped the tone very low so that the "chirp" now sounds more like an air pulse. Not high pitched as before and very exceptable to me now.
Love the Bassani sound, very deep. I do hear the "chirp" every once in a while but like I said it's much, much better.

I thought the true duals were the answer but now with the previous post and the power curve installation and still having the "chirp"...oh well.
Someone will figure it out. ;)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have it...V&H Strait Shots on acceleration, nobody hears it riding next to me......if we're all talking 'bout the same noise :eek:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi,
I have an 02 carbed FLHR and mine chrips since new at low rpms, around 1800-2200. An excellent tech I trust told me the factory knew of this chirp and they finally found its harmless. The sound is caused by the crankcase venting through the crankshaft bearings, and when the bearings hit the cage they make the chirping sound. If you listen to it real close you'll find it sounds like hitting a baby's rattle.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hlpsg said:
The sound is caused by the crankcase venting through the crankshaft bearings, and when the bearings hit the cage they make the chirping sound.
Cool....now whats the fix??? :confused:

·
Registered
287 Posts
A buddy had the squeak when cold. You could hear it riding behind him when we took off from a stop. The sound quit once the engine was warmed up.
One tech tought it might be compression blowing by the head gasket.
He had the heads ported and a 570 cam added this Feb. Now to get some desent riding weather to see the squeak went away.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts