V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... after a bone soaking ride ,(6 hours instead of 4 1/2) on the old Shovel to York,PA for the Factory Open House. I got a little info I thought I'd share. I'm not making any claims to this being the gospel or anything, it's just what I heard first hand on the factory floor.

I did the factory tour and asked three different employees at three different stations on the assembly line what was the dirt on the two tone and why was there being a back log. Their story was pretty much the same and seemed a lot more honest than the dealers! If they are trained to lie by HD then they did a good job.

To sum up the three stories, here it is according to the employees I talked too. I was told on an average paint run the sucess rate is 80% without reject for quality. The two tone WAS running at 50% and this was causing a backup (guess this is why the dealers had to change some two tone orders in this phase). They were having having problems with having to reject fenders,tanks, etc. because of the paint being so thin in this new paint process. Any defects in the raw metal as well as scratchs and dust showed up easier in the silver paint. They have changed the grit on the paper they are using and also changed some things in the way they buff the raw metal. None, of the three said they had heard of any problems after a bike left the factory. The problem was the backlog on rejects for quality at the factory. If a bike passed, then it was OK. I will say, I really looked over the racks of rejected fenders and tanks I saw that were rejected and to be sent back for stripping. Some of the imperfections were tough too find even with a yellow pasted arrow pointing it out, some others were pretty rank.

So after all this, I personally am staying with the two tone on my ordered E-Glide Classic. These guys give the impression that they have the problem solved. If they don't, it won't be the first time I ever got screwed. As I said in an eariler post I wasn't wild about that stripe anyway. You guys that already own these rides don't seem to be complaining about problems with the quality and I hope you let us know if you do.

To you Peace Officers out there: I saw some parts painted in "your" colors and must say I was impressed, a little bright, but nice. Good thing it wasn't an option to us average people or it may have confused me even more.

Mister Breeze

·
Still Serving...U.S. Army
160 Posts
Thanks for the update. I've got a 03 RKC silver/black on order and have to say I was getting antsy. I'm buying mine from Overseas Miliary Sales for delivery in the states next year. I asked here, and the Overseas folks didn't know anything about it. They got the first allocation without any problems and haven't been notified about a problem with future allocations. I guess the overall QUANTITY is much less overseas and since there never is a waiting list, they seem to fill these without problem.
Good news though.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Good Brief Mister Breeze, I sure the folks here join me in giving you a big Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts