V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my wife with me to the local MoCo dealer, and as usual she decided that she wanted a scooter of her own. This happens a couple of times a year, and she then talks herself out of it.

She doesn't ride, not even as a BoB. And she is too short to get her feet down on anything but a slim or low style scooter.

So she starts trying them out, based on color first, then gets a little sticker shock and starts trying them by price/fit. The used Sporties are all a little tall and all have fowards. So she tries a couple of leftover 13's and they fit OK. Then she sat on a Street 500. I thought she was going to buy it on the spot.

So I decide to get up close with it. And here is what I came away with.

Fit and finish is good, perhaps a little too much plastic.

It's a very lightly built scooter, everything is smaller that the equivalent parts on a Sporty. Way small for a big guy like me.

It's nimble, but needs more brakes. And not very powerful, but it's just a 500 so it's fine for what it is.

It sounds awful. Both exhaust tone and the motor has some rattle to it.

The rear fender is not attractive, and gets worse the more you look at it. The 1/4 faring is sort of useless and weird looking, I get the feeling it's all about hiding stuff.

The exhaust cat is under your right foot. And I mean under as in right under and not completely covered with a shield. The exhaust is very much sticking out on the right side, put a flat shield on it and it could be a full length floor board.

If the MoCo was looking for a smaller entry level scooter, then this will do the job. But they'll need to trim the price some if they expect to sell them in any quantity. With any Asian name, it's a $4-5000 scooter. I don't think the Harley decal adds a grand or two to the value.

It is not a Harley any more than the old Ita bikes were Harley's. But it did get my wife's attention in a big way, so I guess they'll sell OK.

She was looking at the DMV site this morning to see what it takes to get her learners, so I guess it's time to go out and buy a used Rebel for her to play with.

·
Premium Member
6,027 Posts
2600 on mine now. 750. Can lock the brakes any time I want too.

But I ride a fatboy Lo so I am used to having to deal with a 2 puck single front set up.

I find the back brake more of a pain than the front.

Rebel used is a great choice. And cheap when they lose interest.

·
Premium Member
6,027 Posts
Ya I found one for $1000 bucks about 10 miles away, so I'll go take a look this week.

Most times they don't even have 3K on them. It is a good starter bike to see if they like it.

My BoB, whom I am married to, thought she wanted to drive.... That lasted two tests and she sold it, bought a better camera to take pictures from the back of the Fatboy Lo.

She does get really good shots of people riding with us because she rides the pillion reverse cowgirl to take the canyon road shots of everyone riding with.... Actually has made fuel money more than once with the camera.

·
Super Moderator
19,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know how far she'll go with it. But if she get so far as to actually taking the safety course, I'll be taking video of that for sure. I tried to teach her to drive a clutch some years ago. 5 min and I was ready to strangle her.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts